Working on your fitness at your work desk?

Options
Hey guys, I spend sooooo much time at my desk at work in front of my computer that its ridiculous (and as a matter of fact, I'm typing this on my office computer as we speak lol). I've been thinking lately that during downtime, I can easily work on some strength training while I sit here and make that empty time more productive, things that still look semi-professional (I don't wanna be in the middle of jumping jacks when patients walk up haha). Do any of you have exercises that you do while at your desk at work? So far, I've come up with leg lifts (the obvious) and bringing free weights in for curls......any other suggestions would be appreciated!

Replies

• elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I will do random pushups throughout the day - not ones from the floor, but like slanted at an angle. I'm a radio journalist so when I'm at the mic I'll do pushups against the counter (not on air, of course :smile: )

Sounds cheesy - but remember Suzanne Somers and her Thigh Master? Lol - I have one. I think I stole it from my mom or something but it's easy to keep under my desk and I can do a few reps of those throughout the day. I'll also lift myself out of my chair with my arms or flex my butt/thigh muscles when I'm just sitting there.

Some people say that "just taking the stairs" won't make a big difference, but I always do because I think throwing in little things throughout the day can add up. So I always take the stairs, and if I have an assignment or an errand to run that's downtown, I'll just walk.
  • jaxdiablo
    jaxdiablo Posts: 580
    Options
    Kegels.
  • lindsy721
    lindsy721 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Tricep dips on the desk are always a winner, push-ups against it too also work. Lunges next to the desk were something I always did in the lab, too.
  • jsj024519
    jsj024519 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Kegels.

LOL
  • mrswilson0511
    mrswilson0511 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    here is a whole list of ones. I have it taped next to my computer screen :laugh:

Deskercise Invisible Exercises
    Muscles can get a workout even without much movement. It's called "isometric" exercise, and it's a godsend in today's push-button society. Here are a few super-subtle moves that you can do whether you're sitting on a bus or sending a fax. No one will suspect a thing!
    • Inner-Thigh Squeeze: While sitting, place a tennis ball or your fist between your knees and squeeze your thighs together for 5 to 10 seconds. Feel the tension in your inner thighs!
    • Bun Lifter: Squeeze your buttocks muscles for 5 seconds — it's equal to one squat! A super move for your rear view!
    • Tummy Tightener: Pull in your tummy, tense and tighten up your ab muscles; hold for 10 seconds. That's equal to one sit-up!
    • Seated Ab Firmer: Sit up tall and place your hands on your thighs. Tighten abs as you press your hands against your thighs and pull your knees in toward your chest. Hold for 5 to 10 seconds, then release.
    • Triceps Toner: Stand with your arms by your sides, palms facing behind you. Keeping your arms straight, gently pulse your arms backward for 5 seconds then release. This is a great isometric exercise for the back of your arms — I do it while waiting in line at the grocery store!
    • Arm Shaper: Lay your left hand on top of your right in front of you, palms together. Lift upward with your right arm while using your left arm to create resistance. Feel your right arm strengthening. Hold this flex for 5 seconds. Switch arms and repeat. Do twice on each side.
    • Chest Firmer: Work your "pecs," or chest muscles, by putting your palms together in prayer position, then pressing your hands together for 5 seconds. Relax and repeat twice.
    • Posture Perfecter: You can do this one while you're standing or sitting. Bend your elbows at a 90-degree angle, forearms parallel to the floor. Squeeze your shoulder blades down and together as you gently press your elbows back; this is a very subtle movement. Hold for five seconds, then release.
  • stephanieagarza
    stephanieagarza Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Use a stability ball at your desk and even stretch bands....
  • Wabbit05
    Wabbit05 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Bump: I'm always looking for "active" things to do at work!
  • missmayeb
    missmayeb Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I sit on a yoga/stability ball at work and bounce away to some good music throughout the day. I also will slide back slightly from my desk and do crunches on it. I also keep 3 and 5 lb weights at my desk and do curls and extensions. Today I am doing 100 push ups mixed with 5 x 1 min planks. Also doing squats, jumping jacks or even calf raises will keep you active. 50 jumping jacks takes all of 2 minutes so if you can step away for 2 minutes you can get a few in. Start off with a small amount of an exercise and see what you can get away with.

I also take 2 x 25 min power walks. Today I haven't because of rain and crazy meetings but that will really get your heart going.
  • cmpollard01
    Options
    We actually incorporate little challenges into our day in my office. Granted, we don't get customers where I am, but the bank pres can pop in anytime! The aforementioned are all great...I also find it's fairly easy to add in squats and calf raises.

and @mrswilson0511-THANK YOU! That's an awesome list!
  • AEC50
    AEC50 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I schedule two ten-minute breaks to walk around, shut my office door and do some lunges, sit-ups or push ups. These are great suggestions to switch things up!
  • Cntrygal81
    Cntrygal81 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I need these ideas too - Thanks for posting!
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    You know what would rock? One of those treadmill desk things.
  • Monkeymomma05
    Options
    here is a whole list of ones. I have it taped next to my computer screen :laugh:

Muscles can get a workout even without much movement. It's called "isometric" exercise, and it's a godsend in today's push-button society. Here are a few super-subtle moves that you can do whether you're sitting on a bus or sending a fax. No one will suspect a thing!
    • Inner-Thigh Squeeze: While sitting, place a tennis ball or your fist between your knees and squeeze your thighs together for 5 to 10 seconds. Feel the tension in your inner thighs!
    • Bun Lifter: Squeeze your buttocks muscles for 5 seconds — it's equal to one squat! A super move for your rear view!
    • Tummy Tightener: Pull in your tummy, tense and tighten up your ab muscles; hold for 10 seconds. That's equal to one sit-up!
    • Seated Ab Firmer: Sit up tall and place your hands on your thighs. Tighten abs as you press your hands against your thighs and pull your knees in toward your chest. Hold for 5 to 10 seconds, then release.
    • Triceps Toner: Stand with your arms by your sides, palms facing behind you. Keeping your arms straight, gently pulse your arms backward for 5 seconds then release. This is a great isometric exercise for the back of your arms — I do it while waiting in line at the grocery store!
    • Arm Shaper: Lay your left hand on top of your right in front of you, palms together. Lift upward with your right arm while using your left arm to create resistance. Feel your right arm strengthening. Hold this flex for 5 seconds. Switch arms and repeat. Do twice on each side.
    • Chest Firmer: Work your "pecs," or chest muscles, by putting your palms together in prayer position, then pressing your hands together for 5 seconds. Relax and repeat twice.
    • Posture Perfecter: You can do this one while you're standing or sitting. Bend your elbows at a 90-degree angle, forearms parallel to the floor. Squeeze your shoulder blades down and together as you gently press your elbows back; this is a very subtle movement. Hold for five seconds, then release.

I copied this to put up at my desk! Thanks for that!

I bought a half cycle thing from wal mart
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gold-s-Gym-Upper-and-Lower-Body-Cycle/11030094 ---- and use that under my desk for 15-30 minutes depending on what I am doing. Watch out for your knees though, I have knocked the heck out of mine when I first started! Its also good for your arms but I use weights at my desk.
  • jessababy22
    Options
    i have a pedal exercise machine under my desk. imagine an exercise bike but only the pedal. for 45 minutes which i break up throughout the day, i burn 500 calories. only $30 including shipping on amazon.com
  • pberta
    pberta Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I try to get up multiple times throughout the day and go for walks on my break. When I have conference calls I still and talk on a headset and walk in place. Plus I drink lots of water which means many bathroom breaks.
  • mrscewinters
    mrscewinters Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I like the fitbolt website. You set how often you want the exercises to come up, and when needed you can pause the timer. I think it helps as a reminder to take a minute to do something good for yourself.
  • mrsevanrust
    Options

Great stuff- and Thanks!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Try this: Sit up with your abs pulled in and shoulders back. See how long you last before you notice you slump. Work on longer times. People will be shocked at how long they actually can do this (hint: for many it's not long).

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine on here has a mini bike pedal thing for under he desk. It looks awesome.
  • CaliDreams27
    CaliDreams27 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Ahhhh!! Thanks so much for the suggestions guys!!! These are genius!!:) Would've never even thought about 3/4 of these ideas!