Protein Side Effects?

Options
2»

Replies

• WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I actually don't get enough protein- which is why I started the protein powder lol. I drink anywhere from 20-30 glasses of water everyday (I have health issues that make me thristy all the time lol). Oh and it is the Desinger Whey stuff lol. Taste super yummy but my tummy just doesn't seem to like it lol.

This may sound crazy but...just eat chicken breast. There is nothing especially fabulous about powder forms of protein vs. food sourced protein.
  • CoronerKris
    CoronerKris Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I noticed when I first started taking the protein powder it gave me stomach issues but I kept with it and eventually(maybe 2 weeks max) it subsided. Could be your body getting used to it.
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    Options
    Too much protein from powders/shakes can damage the kidneys which is why it's vital to drink those 8 glasses of water to keep the excess flushed out of you. I learned this through my medical weight loss clinic.
    What quantities of protein are you referring to?
    I've heard of a couple of body builder types experiencing kidney failure that was attributed, at least partially, to their protein intakes....but they were consuming 400gms + a day, which is an insane amount of protein.

I'd like to know the answer to this too. My left kidney woke me up this past Saturday night. I'm on antibiotics now and it feels better but there is still a burn. I'm wondering if it may be due to too much protein.

Looking at your diary...there is no way it is a protein issue. 50-100 grams in a day is ...almost too little. I ate over 200g yesterday...and many times eat at LEAST 150g...as was said...400g might be an issue...but I challenge you to even manage to hit that number....you'll be way too full to get there, trust me.
  • Tiabean86
    Tiabean86 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I do eat meat once or twice a day. I also try to get some veggies and almonds in to up my numbers. For some reason I just never hit where I am suppose to be.
  • Tiabean86
    Tiabean86 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your responses! At least I now know for a fact that I am not odd, I just need to find a different protein powder lol. Thanks everyone for being candid on such a gross subject lol. :)
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    Options
    I do eat meat once or twice a day. I also try to get some veggies and almonds in to up my numbers. For some reason I just never hit where I am suppose to be.
    Veggies are mostly carbs and almonds are mostly fats. Better sources are going to be...milk, Greek yogurt, of course all meats preferably lower in fat content. Sometimes I even do Greek yogurt with a scoop of powder and mix it in really well for a nice 40g or so dose :smile: A can of wild salmon mixed with a lil tzatziki sauce can be a great way to get around 50g at around 200cals, with no powder at all. Just some ideas!
  • Lize11e
    Lize11e Posts: 419
    Options
    Too much protein from powders/shakes can damage the kidneys which is why it's vital to drink those 8 glasses of water to keep the excess flushed out of you. I learned this through my medical weight loss clinic.
    I've heard of a couple of body builder types experiencing kidney failure that was attributed, at least partially, to their protein intakes....but they were consuming 400gms + a day, which is an insane amount of protein.

I'd like to know the answer to this too. My left kidney woke me up this past Saturday night. I'm on antibiotics now and it feels better but there is still a burn. I'm wondering if it may be due to too much protein.

Looking at your diary...there is no way it is a protein issue. 50-100 grams in a day is ...almost too little. I ate over 200g yesterday...and many times eat at LEAST 150g...as was said...400g might be an issue...but I challenge you to even manage to hit that number....you'll be way too full to get there, trust me.

Thanks so much!!! I appreciate you taking the time to do that for me. I (obviously) don't know a whole lot about this yet but I AM learning!
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options

If you have an underlying kidney problem, yes. Protein does not cause kidney problems in a healthy adult as part of a healthy diet. Even on very high protein diets it takes months to see a noticeable change in kidneys. Check with your doctor and make sure your kidneys are okay if you're having renal problems. Higher (<for some diseases patients are restricted to 0.6-0.8g per kilogram if not less) protein intake will most probably aggravate the problem if you have any.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's me, but I haven't had any issues with my hemp protein powder. In fact, the "GI issues" that I *had* been having have all disappeared.
  • sandiki
    sandiki Posts: 454
    Options
    Yup.. been known to clear a room.. whey does that to me. Just experiment with different brands till you find one that works for you. Eas makes a carb advantage one that does not have that effect on me. Good luck.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Does protien powders make your tummy hurt, give you gas, and make you poo more?

I drink well over a gallon of water a day also I consistently hit my fiber goals daily, and take in about 300g/day of protein if anything for me it is the opposite.

I use ON Whey protein powder.