Who uses a personal trainer?

Options
I have been on this journey for a while and before coming to MFP lost some weight and cardio wise I am in the best shape of my life, I think....but I have kind of been at a standstill for the past 4 months (although not totally on track most of that time). Anyway I am thinking about getting a personal trainer to help w/ some points.....Just curious - those of you who have worked w/ trainers.....how do they go about setting up a program for you (or is it the cookie cutter approach) and do they help w/ nutrition also...

Replies

• pudgeylou
    pudgeylou Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I just started with my personal trainer about two weeks ago. She isn't a nutitionist but she gave me her opinion on how I should be eating, and what things to avoid (most of it was commone sense stuff though) and she is the one who recommended MFP to me. She ran me through a fitness test and tailors my weekly workouts to me. She changes my workout every week so I don't get bored and to keep me working. She is sweet as can be but pushes me too. You just need to find the right personal trainer for you.
  • missprincessgina
    missprincessgina Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I have a personal trainer .... Curt Gsell and he is amazing!!!! I see him twice a week for an hour. It's one-on-one weight training with kettle bells, TRX, and core exercises. I don't need help or motivation with cardio but he does do cardio with some of his clients. He also checks my food logs here on MFP.

Sometimes I'll attend his spinning classes but I like the one-on-one training the best. If I'm going on vacation or have a special event, I might see him 4 times a week to get in tip-top shape. :love:
  • amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I've often wondered what a personal trainer does too. I'm thinking about joining a gym this month too,...so, that is something to consider. I have a good dietitian that I've seen and plan on going back to see again and she is wonderful and helps so much with what to eat. She even gave me food choices for both 1800 and 1200 calories per day. Some of the foods are so wonderful. The gym I"m looking at signing up with has a trainer, so, I might be asking them some questions too. I'm 48, and have injuries, so, I can't just be "pushed" to do better. I push myself as much as I can physically do. I hope more people respond to this thread.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I've used a trainer for the past year and half... and I throughly enjoy mine.

My trainer sets up a program based on me and what I want to do. He will literally text me before that days sessions and ask what I want to work on that day. I can tell him I want to work on free weights, or I want to focus more on lower body/upper body today.. and then from there he figures out what he wants to do.

Most trainers are not trained in nutrition so anything they do tell you about diet should be taken with a grain of salt. They can suggest things for you to do, but they can't tell you exactly what to do.

I think it's a good asset to have if you can afford one.
  • FORIANN
    FORIANN Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I meet with a personal trainer once a week and she helps me and my wife to outline out fitness goals and routines for the week. I like it because it keeps me constantly changing up my routines and doing things that I probably wouldn't have otherwise. She's not much for advice on nutrition, but I've gotten my head around that and haven't really logged food for months now. Someone once told me: 1) never diet, moderate 2) avoid sugar, flower and sodium 3) avoid processed foods 4) make sure your diet is mostly lean meat and vegetables/fruits This moderate and balanced approach has worked wonders for me. I cheat occasionally, but mostly I stay on track. I have an elliptical machine, bench, free weights, swiss ball and bo-flex in the basement and I workout daily and am enjoying great success. MFP was a terrific starting point for me. :)
  • shaahboogie
    Options
    I started with my trainer about a month ago and she is great. I had a trainer before and he was a young kid at the gym i had a membership to. i didnt see any results and we worked out for an hr 2 or 3 times a week . he was scared to push me and really be on my azz like i needed. so make sure that the trainer is serious and not afraid of you. My new trainer and i met and she gave me a free 1/2 hr session and i felt great, so i signed on to work with her for 3 months, 2xs a week for an hr. we spoke about what i was trying to do, what i wanted to loose, tone, etc, my eating habits, special diets etc. i never know what i am going to be doing when i come in but it is never the same thing over and over, if i start to gain she will give me an hr of cardio and i can burn over 1200 calories in a session. she pushes me when i need it and she doesnt take it easy on me when i complain or if i am moving slow. she doesnt try to kill me, but if she wants more, i give it to her and in the end i may be tired as hell, but i love the difference i see in my body. doing it myself with walking and getting on my stationary bike wasnt doing the job so i say its definately worth it to get a trainer. Good luck!