Tough week.........should I take a break?

Options
So here's the scenario. I've quit smoking, started college, I"m a mother of two teenagers, significant other to a wonderful man, and started my weightloss journey including exercise all in the last year. Well the teenagers have been growing for a while but you know what I mean.

Yesterday I go to the doctor because my left arm has been bothering me for a while now and he tells me that I have a "mass" in my top "humerous" (but it's not very funny). I have to go get a bone scan today and meet back with him on Thursday. I have to tell you this has me so stressed out. He said to try not to get upset because there are lots of things it could be so don't instantly start thinking the worst. But I have to tell you, just to hear the word "mass" makes me freak out a little.

I'm supposed to go home to Texas for spring break to visit my family, and while I have no intentions of gaining weight and losing progress I just almost feel like I want to take a break from being a calorie nazi right now. You guys are basically the only friends I have so I could use some advice.

Replies

• NurseBarb
    NurseBarb Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    So here's the scenario. I've quit smoking, started college, I"m a mother of two teenagers, significant other to a wonderful man, and started my weightloss journey including exercise all in the last year. Well the teenagers have been growing for a while but you know what I mean.

Yesterday I go to the doctor because my left arm has been bothering me for a while now and he tells me that I have a "mass" in my top "humerous" (but it's not very funny). I have to go get a bone scan today and meet back with him on Thursday. I have to tell you this has me so stressed out. He said to try not to get upset because there are lots of things it could be so don't instantly start thinking the worst. But I have to tell you, just to hear the word "mass" makes me freak out a little.

I'm supposed to go home to Texas for spring break to visit my family, and while I have no intentions of gaining weight and losing progress I just almost feel like I want to take a break from being a calorie nazi right now. You guys are basically the only friends I have so I could use some advice.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    I feel for ya Cas, sometimes it's hard to keep the rigorous schedule that is required for a healthy lifestyle, especially when so many other things are going on in your life.

I guess my best suggestion for you would be this: Take a deep breath, tell EVERYONE in your life that you need a day for you, a day that you can do what you enjoy, whatever that may be. Find some time to sit back and put everything in perspective. Remind yourself that some of these things are temporary (mid terms) and some of them are out of your control (the mass on your arm). When I take each thing individually it helps me calm down. As a whole they look insurmountable, but if you break each one down, it might be easier.

I hope it all works out, take it all one day at a time, and make sure you set aside some time for "stress reduction", things you do to reduce stress (besides eating:tongue: ).

Best wishes

-Steve
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    Options
    Sounds like you just have to take care of you right now. You do whatever you feel comfy with. .. Some people mightl find the control of being calorie nazi helpful during a time like this, but it sounds like you may be feeling like giving yourself a little free time might be more helpful for you. If you just be concious of healthy living during this time, maybe it is right for you to just relax and take it easy until you are ready to go back to being so strict with your new Lifestyle change, whatever you choose, keep us posted and take care of you.:flowerforyou:
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say congratulations on quitting smoking! AND good for you for starting college :) That is awesome that you're trying to better yourself. It really is too bad that sometimes when we are really trying to do some good something awful happens. I hope that everything turns out good in the end. I know you must be petrified about having a mass :( I know I would be...I would say you stick to the healthy diet though...that can only help your health in the long run right? Think about how much effort it has taken you to get where you are, if you stop now you'll just have to start all over, which has sucked for me everytime that I've quit the weight loss attempt.
  • NurseBarb
    NurseBarb Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    thanks. I don't plan on falling completely off the wagon. I may just not work so hard to "lose" for a few weeks. Greasy and sugary meals make me sick now anyways and I would hate myself for gaining.

I have to say I'm completely freaked out this morning. I'm trying to hard not to just break down in tears. It's so surreal. This is something that happens to "other" people, not me.
  • pam0206
    pam0206 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Casta, best of luck with your scan. I think that you probably could benefit from some time off. I'm not suggesting from now on, but a few days, until this most stressful situation passes. Please keep us updated. God bless.
    Pam