Fiber

Options
LadyElby
LadyElby Posts: 151 Member
How much fiber is too much fiber? I know there was a time when everyone was talking about getting in enough fiber because it keeps you fuller longer, or it helps with your digestive system, or whatever. It seems to me, if we lived by those theories, and were eating a couple foods a day that were high in fiber, we'd be eating quite a bit of it.

For example, MFP has alotted me 14 grams of fiber a day. I've had what I consider to be a pretty healthy breakfast, lunch and snack so far today (it's 4pm). Now, looking at my food tracker, I have already surpassed that 14 grams by 1, and I haven't even had dinner yet! You should know that I have, for the most part, cut out all starches and get practically all of my carbs from fruits and veggies.

So my question to you is, how much fiber is too much fiber? I feel like there is a good chance I will be eating at least 10 more grams for dinner. Should I be worried I am consuming too much fiber?

Please, someone help me out!!! Thanks in advance!

Replies

• ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I am not aware of a maximum limit for fiber....if you aren't expriencing any sort of intestinal distress with your diet, don't fret this.
    I personally aim for 30-35g/ day of fiber.
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Fiber is found only in plant foods (beans, grains, fruits and vegetables). It gives plants their structure and cannot be digested by humans. Fiber plays an important role in your health. Most adults need to eat between 25 and 35 grams of fiber each day. To learn more about fiber sources and health benefits, read Figuring Out the Facts on Fiber.

You CAN overdo a good thing when it comes to fiber. Eating more than 50-60 grams of fiber a day may…
    decrease the amount of vitamins and minerals your body absorbs, among them zinc, iron, magnesium, and calcium.
    move food through the digestive tract too quickly for some nutrients to be absorbed properly.
    cause gas, diarrhea, bloating, diarrhea or stomach discomfort.
    decrease your appetite for other nutrient-rich foods that are needed by the body for proper health.

Increase fiber in your diet slowly, and boost your fluid consumption by drinking 8 glasses of water daily.
  • LadyElby
    Options
    Thanks guys! I knew there had to be a point where it would be too much, and I didn't think I was anywhere near it, but I just was curious. So when MFP tells me I should aim for 14 grams a day, is that a little low? Should I aim closer to maybe 25 or so? I feel like that's probably about what I hit most days anyway. And Duda, thanks for all that information!
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    You know you had too much fiber when you spend most of the day on the "throne"! I eat a lot of fiber, sometimes as much as 40g.
  • LadyElby
    Options
    Hahah Thanks Mikey! By the way, I hadn't noticed that we're (for the moment) weight loss twins! :)
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Hahah Thanks Mikey! By the way, I hadn't noticed that we're (for the moment) weight loss twins! :)

I didn't see that either.... peas in a pod huh?

I will try to keep up! Weigh in tomorrow for me!