No squat rack at my gym

Options

Replies

• Siekobilly
    Siekobilly Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    now you know what to look for in a new gym. in the meantime, you can try cleaning and pressing the bar to your shoulders.
    This is actually what I'm doing while I wait for my power rack to come. It's getting hard as the weight increases, but it's almost like doing an additional workout. Just gotta be careful you know your limits and don't tear your shoulder apart.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Does your gym have an fixed weight barbells?( at least I believe thats what they are called.. it's a bar with fixed weights at each end)

You may be able to you those for a bit until you get into the higher weights.

Or you can follow what others said and join a different gym or buy your own equipment.
  • kylTKe
    kylTKe Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Oh yea don't forget pistol squats. Or one legged squats.

Also you can wear a weighted vest (or chains) to add weight if you can't clean enough for a good front squat. Or you might be able to use a dip belt to add some weight, but I've never tried that so I'm not sure if you would hit the floor with it.

Also, you could get two spotters to act as a rack. Maybe not necessarily the safest thing in the world but it could work if you're not lifting too heavy.
  • mmychal
    mmychal Posts: 69
    Options
    perhaps I should have been a little more clear. if I could throw money as easily at the problem as some of you assume, i wouldn't have needed to post.

Let me rephrase my conundrum with the actual limitations of real life rather than this fantasy land where everyone can supposedly afford everything they want at every moment in time.

1) I like my gym. I get a heavily discounted membership through my employer as part of a wellness program and my membership is valid at thousands of gyms across the country, so when i travel for business I can use it. In other words - I cannot practically afford to change gyms. For those who care, my membership is at the YMCA. The only fault I have with the gym is a lack of a power rack. they have everything else - cardio machines galore, classes for members, swimming pools, basketball courts and a very affordable price for myself and my family.

2) I want to perform an exercise that gives me something as close to what a true squat will do. I'd love to be able to do normal squats, but the only access to equipment I have that is suitable is the Smith machine. There are other machines in the gym and several dumbbells, but no Olympic power rack. Perhaps there's a rack i can make use of in lieu of a true power rack.

3) In the absence of doing a freeweight squat, what I'd like is advice on what I can do with what I have. Many thanks to those of you that actually tried to answer this question. I didn't think I needed to include parts 1 and 2 above, but apparently there are enough people who think that "just buying one" is the best answer. Given the budget I've allotted for my health, which includes eating right and making time for exercise, I can't realistically throw money at this problem.

The suggestion to ask my gym to GET a power rack is actually pretty decent. I'm sure other folks at the gym would use it. I've also seen YMCA's that have the power rack.

Thanks for all of the useful suggestions. Please keep them coming as long as they don't involve me shelling out 500-2000 bucks to accomplish my goal.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    there's also the steinborn lift : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qls96q4Phs4

as far as getting your gym to geta power rack, how about starting a petition or something? if they see that several people are interested that might help.
  • Hestion
    Hestion Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I know it may not be a possibility, but if you suggest to the gym they buy one, and they maybe cant afford it, as I believe the YMCA gyms are not like a big chain gym? Then maybe see if you can get together with other gym users and gauge the interest in a rack, and if they say they cant afford it, maybe suggest that members could do a voluntary donation towards it to help the gym out, even if its only a little bit?

Obviously I'm not saying this will work, that members will want to do it, or indeed if anyone can afford it, but its an option if the gym say no due to costs?

I'm no help really as my gym is a major chain and has several of everything lol!

Do you have a trx?
  • kylTKe
    kylTKe Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Here check this out, it's like 35 different squat movements. Many of which don't require a squat rack (hack squat, front squat, goblet squat, overhead squat, etc...).

http://artofmanliness.com/2011/11/30/the-ultimate-squat-guide-35-squat-exercises/
  • ktied
    ktied Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Walking lunges with dumbells are a killer and seem to work exact same muscles
  • Hestion
    Hestion Posts: 740 Member
    Options

*nods in agreement* I find them more of a killer than squats at the rack, my PT is a stickler for squats, and if other trainers see me in class I always get praise for them :-)
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    You really can get the same benefits without a squat rack....there are several exercises that will kick it!!

Use lower weights, go to fatigue. Jump squats, step ups, walking lunges, back lunges, side lunges, stationary lunges, double time squats, etc. etc.

Google leg exercises and you'll find all kinds of alternatives....don't let a piece of machinery set you back. :)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Join a gym that has a power rack or squat rack or even a monolift.

Not particularly useful advice ...

Actually, that's as useful as it gets. A rack is a basic piece of equipment and is a must to safely perform squats (it's also great for curls). If your gym doesn't have one, I bet there are other must haves that they don't have. The second best exercise for legs is a distant second, so a better gym is the best option.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    The answer to your question is rear foot elevated Dumbell split squats.

You can load these up with a ton of weight, far more than goblet squats and they are brutal.

Google 'Ben Bruno' or 'Ben Bruno articles' he has written a ton of stuff on single leg training.

The barbell back squat is not the only way to build strong legs, despite what people may tell you.

Edit, in fact I will link them here as everyone should give these a read

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_
    recent/5_superior_single_leg_exercises
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

squat is still more but lunges are good
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later - I need this info :)
  • SyStEmPhReAk
    SyStEmPhReAk Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Any friends of yours go to a gym where you can use their guest pass on days you want to squat? How many times a week do you do squats? This is a good no cost alternative if it fits your situation.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I know OP said this wasn't an option, but for those for whom it is, I bought one of these ~ten years ago and it was easily the best fitness related purchase I've ever made: http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/92563.html. I don't remember what I paid for it back then, but it's currently $330. Add in a cheap oly bar and a set of plates and you're golden.
  • perdie7
    perdie7 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Please don't blantently reply to these questions with, go to a new gym

It is not always an option. I live in a small town, we are fortunate to have what we do here. The nearest other gym is a 35 min drive, and I'm not even sure what they have. Then next neareast gym would be 45 min away. Who really wants to drive 35 min one way 3x a week do lift weights.

Don't tell me to buy stuff for my house, I have a very small old house...I'm pretty sure if I droped 200 pounds it would go through the floor, if I could even find somewhere to put them. And I don't have money to go buy all the stuff anyway.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I haven't looked at a smith machine in almost twenty years but isn't there a way to move the built in bar out of the way and put a regular barbell in there and do squats almost like a normal person?
  • 1MoreRep91
    Options
    So I just started Strength Training about two weeks ago and I go to the gym three times a week doing my nine exercises at 3 sets of 12 reps.

Plz tell me you're not doing this every time you go?!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Please don't blantently reply to these questions with, go to a new gym

It is not always an option. I live in a small town, we are fortunate to have what we do here. The nearest other gym is a 35 min drive, and I'm not even sure what they have. Then next neareast gym would be 45 min away. Who really wants to drive 35 min one way 3x a week do lift weights.

Don't tell me to buy stuff for my house, I have a very small old house...I'm pretty sure if I droped 200 pounds it would go through the floor, if I could even find somewhere to put them. And I don't have money to go buy all the stuff anyway.

The guy posts a thread saying that he wants to do "proper squats" (ie: barbell back squats). He didn't ask for other kinds of squat variations or leg exercises that could emulate squats. He didn't say he has an old house or no money or no other available gyms. He just said he wants to do proper squats. Therefore the correct and "blatent" (sic) reply is, find a new gym or buy a power rack. There's no other way to do what he wants to do, safely. If you can't handle the answers, don't ask the questions. Or at least provide some background information around what you're asking so people can provide more informed answers. Simple.