Any PCOS women who've had their BMR measured?

Options
2»

Replies

• kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    My BMR according to calculators is around 1475, RMR around 1600,

What calculator are you using? The RMR shouldn't differ that much from BMR. The only difference between measuring BMR and measuring RMR is for BMR you spend the night in the lab. With RMR, you don't but you still lay motionless during testing, having eaten nothing. It should be very minimally different and can generally be used interchangeably.

My BMR and RMR difference is about the same so I doubt its that uncommon....my BMR is around 1610 and my RMR is 1878 (tested via dexa scan)
  • snowy0wl
    snowy0wl Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    if anyone is still reading this. I'm writing this on behalf a friend who doesn't have access to the boards.

She has a mix of PCOS/Fibro and a bunch of other maladies that makes her weight difficult to manage. in terms of diet in her words "I changed my eating habits drastically. I am vegan, gluten-free, and sugar-free. I don't eat processed foods and I rarely eat salt or consume caffeine. I drink water, tea, and almond milk (no soda or fruit juice- BOTH of which are loaded with sugar)."

I've been monitoring her actual intake, activity and weight changes and over the last 25 days this is what I calculated. Her body is 203 (currently) @ 5'9 she's currently at a new low of 33% bf

BMR based on regular websites 1,800 with no TDEE

her BMR (calculated) = 1400
    Dietary intake = 1100 cals
    average exercise = 220 cals

over the last 25 days we've recorded an average of 1.3lbs of fat (not weight) lost per week which is amazing considering how resistant PCOS people tend to be. She has no symptoms of malnutrition however she does want to sleep after cardio exercise. She openly admits it's hard but it's the only way she's found to loose weight.

I'd love to hear if people calculate the BMR based on careful tracking of numbers and if it co-insides with the initial report of 1400.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    My BMR according to calculators is around 1475, RMR around 1600,

What calculator are you using? The RMR shouldn't differ that much from BMR. The only difference between measuring BMR and measuring RMR is for BMR you spend the night in the lab. With RMR, you don't but you still lay motionless during testing, having eaten nothing. It should be very minimally different and can generally be used interchangeably.

My BMR and RMR difference is about the same so I doubt its that uncommon....my BMR is around 1610 and my RMR is 1878 (tested via dexa scan)

DEXA scan doesn't measure BMR or RMR. I think what you're referencing as RMR is an estimate for TDEE. Your BMR is how many calories your body uses simply to exist. RMR is an approximation of that measure and is generally within a VERY small margin of the BMR. TDEE is your BMR/RMR plus daily activity calories. If you're sedentary, this could be anywhere from 10% to 20% more calories. The numbers above are about 16% higher than the BMR, so I would assume this is a calculation of a sedentary TDEE rather than RMR. The DEXA scan measures body composition and they likely used that result to calculate a BMR for you. I do Bod Pod testing with my RMR tests. The Bod Pod does that same BMR calculation and it's not close to what my actual tested RMR is.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I had my RMR tested again last month. It again came back at about 10% higher than the online calculators. Since I've lost weight since my initial test, it's dropped to 1521 instead of 1662, but still higher than average.
  • Racheljeancox
    Racheljeancox Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I wonder how accurate this BMR calculator is? http://www.fertilitychef.com/pcos-diet-calculator/
  • me0231
    me0231 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I had my RMR measured this morning in a health clinic. I just had to lie still for 30min and breathe into a tube. That was it.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    @Niagarasailor If you haven't been diagnosed with insulin resistance, do you mind me asking why you're on Metformin? It's not generally recommended otherwise, and it's not terribly safe unless you really need it.
  • ir0n
    ir0n Posts: 1 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    You might wanna try this calculator: https://damnripped.com/pcos-weight-loss-guide/. My sister swears by it.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I had mine done at the fitness lab on campus. I do not have PCOS, but I do have hypothyroidism which also allegedly slows metabolism.

According to the test, my metabolism is 27% higher than the typical person of my gender, age, weight and height. So being hypo might not affect me as much as I feared. And having PCOS night not affect you as much as you thought.

I lost all my weight without knowing this and being hypo. Point being, while chronic conditions can impact our bodies and weight loss, sometimes we give them too much power.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    me0231 wrote: »
    I had my RMR measured this morning in a health clinic. I just had to lie still for 30min and breathe into a tube. That was it.

I had a face mask on (attached to the tube), but yeah, this is it. The lounge chair was really comfy!