Disney Princess Half Marathon

Options
I'm running the Disney Princess Half Marathon in February 2013. It's the first race I've ever been in. I consider myself somewhat of an intermediate runner. I love to run and do it often, but I never do more than 4 miles at a time. I oviously need training! I do lots of research and have a few different training programs I'm mixing together, but success stories, tips, and advice are welcomed :)

Replies

• PrincessRunner1
    PrincessRunner1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    So no one else is training for a half marathon?
  • msmith2020
    msmith2020 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    ME!! OMG lol I'm really excited! I have been looking for someone else who is training for it too! I started my training maybe a month ago and I should be done about a month before the race! YAY! Lol Befriending you btw!

This will be my first Half Marathon, I'm running my first 5k this October so I am really into long distance running, its therapeutic and its relaxing!
  • Seokie
    Seokie Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I'm no where near ready for Feb but I actually have my sights set on 2014 :)
  • Whitney0919
    Whitney0919 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am NOT a runner, but if it involves Disney Princesses, I might make an exception!!! I'm no help to you, but good luck and have fun!! I'll be on the Disney Dream that week!
  • wholenewme03
    wholenewme03 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I am! Mine is next month, and I decided about 2 months ago that I wanted to do it. I was running 4-5 miles a day already, so I figured, why not? I do 1 long run a week, I increased my miles by 1 mile a week and now my long run is up to 10 miles. On the rest of the days, I run 4-6 miles, do the elliptical, and lift weights but if you like biking, yoga, pilates, etc. then do those on your non-run days. It's ideal to run only 4 times per week and pick another activity on the others. Good luck, sounds like fun!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    No tips on the running (though the terrain will be fairly flat if that helps).

A friend of mine did it last year and I discovered that they close off access to the finish line after it starts, so if anyone is going with you and wants to wait at the end, they will have to get there with you when you line up at something like 3 a.m.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    there's a long distance runners group you could look into too for advice. I'm training for my second half now and I REALLY wanted to do the disney princess but it doesn't fit into my schedule :-(
  • PrincessRunner1
    Options
    ME!! OMG lol I'm really excited! I have been looking for someone else who is training for it too! I started my training maybe a month ago and I should be done about a month before the race! YAY! Lol Befriending you btw!

This will be my first Half Marathon, I'm running my first 5k this October so I am really into long distance running, its therapeutic and its relaxing!

YES!!! I love your picture btw. I just started this week! I'll definitely be following you since I'm not exactly sure where I should be at what point and time. I have a training guide, but I get a little distracted sometimes. It's my first half marathon too and I'm really excited too. Was never a LONG distance runner, but love to run. Can't wait to see your progress!
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I am running my first half next month. One thing you may want to do, if possible, is try running a smaller race before the half (a 5k or 10k, etc) just to experience the whole race day thing before you run your half. Good luck and have fun!
  • PrincessRunner1
    Options
    I am NOT a runner, but if it involves Disney Princesses, I might make an exception!!! I'm no help to you, but good luck and have fun!! I'll be on the Disney Dream that week!

I must admit, I will definitely be wearing a pink tutu and a tiara :) HAVE to make it fun. Have fun!

Thanks guys! And anyone who wants to encourage me, or needs it, feel free to add me :) I'm new so I don't have many friends!
  • CrisAlex
    CrisAlex Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I'd love to do the Disney Princess Half and am hoping to do it in the future. Now, I'm training for my second half, which will be in October. You mentioned you're following several plans, right? Is the Hal Higdon one of the them? I followed his when I was training for my first last year and it went well.

This is what I've learned from my own experiences:
    1. try your best not to overdress. I didn't do this for the half, but I did majorly overdress for the 5K and the 10K that I ran in the spring. Fiddling with my clothes and the pins for the bib really cut into my time.
    2. take a look at the course. Is it flat, hilly, etc.? If you know there will be hills, make sure you're prepared. For the 5K, there was a HUGE hill at the end that I was so unprepared for! Now I know better.

There are lots of other runners here who must have lots of other advice regarding nutrition, pacing, etc. Have fun and happy training! :smile:
  • msmith2020
    Options
    Soo.. since you mentioned the tutu I have to admit I have already thought about my costume! Lol I am going to be Belle so I have already figured out how to make my yellow tutu.. does that make me sound silly? lol I LOVE the Disney Princesses sooooo this is going to be SO MUCH FUN!
  • jealous_loser
    Options
    I want to do this so badly at some point! I love Disney Princesses! Good luck :)
  • o3devildog
    o3devildog Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Congratulation on your decision to run - you'll find if very rewarding, I have.
    there are many programs and philosphies out there, the one that I've found the most useful is from runners world magazine. they have programs that you can buy but they also have a tool called smart coach that allows you to enter some basic information and gives you a training program. this is generic and I ususally wind up modifying it to fit my schedule but its a good guide to start with.
    in general it follows a schedule of running 3 days a week. this includes an easy run (short to mid-distance); a mid-distance speed workout; and a long slow run. don't get anxious with the terminology - it adjusts paces and distances to the goals and information you put in.
    The most important thing that I've had to learn in running distance is to build slowly in order to avoid an injury. Just be persistent and consistent in your training and you'll get there.

There is also a wealth of other information about how to train on the runners world site.
    http://www.runnersworld.com/

Happy Trails!!!
  • PrincessRunner1
    Options
    Congratulation on your decision to run - you'll find if very rewarding, I have.
    there are many programs and philosphies out there, the one that I've found the most useful is from runners world magazine. they have programs that you can buy but they also have a tool called smart coach that allows you to enter some basic information and gives you a training program. this is generic and I ususally wind up modifying it to fit my schedule but its a good guide to start with.
    in general it follows a schedule of running 3 days a week. this includes an easy run (short to mid-distance); a mid-distance speed workout; and a long slow run. don't get anxious with the terminology - it adjusts paces and distances to the goals and information you put in.
    The most important thing that I've had to learn in running distance is to build slowly in order to avoid an injury. Just be persistent and consistent in your training and you'll get there.

There is also a wealth of other information about how to train on the runners world site.
    http://www.runnersworld.com/

Happy Trails!!!

I have a subscription to this magazine!! I love it, and I also bought the book with training guides for all races. Not sure about the Higdon training guide, but my plan is to incorporate a little from each. HIIT, long runs, Magic Miles, strength training, yoga/pilates...I figure the more I do and the more my body gets adjusted to, the better I'll do. And like I've said, this is my first half marathon so I'll just have to figure out what works.

P.S. wearing a pink tutu and TARGET actually has them in the kids section :)
  • msmith2020
    Options
    Lol I WISH I could fit a kids tutu!! Lol but the one I am making is SO simple! no sewing involved and Im going to make it SO COLORFUL! Its mainly going to be a bright sparkly yellow for Belle, but also some greens, pinks, etc so that I am ONE of a kind! I make a lot of things so this is going to be exciting for me! Lol however, I do need to know where to get a tiara from?! lol
  • msmith2020
    Options
    Runners world mag is my favorite magazine to read! Everytime I finish one I want to run to the store and buy another one.. but i have to wait a month lol
  • o3devildog
    o3devildog Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Also I neglected to mention: it includes cross training - very important. Many people leave out strength training for their legs thinking that the running will take care of it. I have found this to be wrong; you need to incorporate strength training for your legs and abs (core) especially. This will complement your running and help to avoid injury.

Good Luck!!
  • msmith2020
    Options
    Also I neglected to mention: it includes cross training - very important. Many people leave out strength training for their legs thinking that the running will take care of it. I have found this to be wrong; you need to incorporate strength training for your legs and abs (core) especially. This will complement your running and help to avoid injury.

Good Luck!!

Thanks! I was wondering if I should start doing weights for my legs when school starts back. I think I will now! :)
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I did this race this year. just some pointers

pre a) expo - GO AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE - it is very crowded

a) not all hotels have the shuttle to the start ...we didn't find this out until that morning. We gave another runner a ride as well ...she was going to walk!

b) you'll be waiting for a while so bring some warm up clothes

c) line up near the front before they let you go to the start area...jog to the porta john area to avoid lines

d) still have a warm up throw away shirt on at this point

e) it is ok to jump the corral barriers and pee in the woods..we are all ladies...we know we have to go a billion times before a race

Overall I thought the race was fine. A little boring in spots. I didn't find it crowded but I was in the first corral and also towards the front of the overall runners as well. I did hear a great deal of complaints regarding congestion from people behind

there were 2 course marshall issues I was very unhappy with. I was directed to do a quick out and back in front of the castle. I thought it was the course...NOPE it was for a picture...dude....I wouldn't have done it.

Also, going through epcot at the finish, a runner in front of me was route one way and then I was told to go around. I have no idea what that was about but it really did through me off.

finish area, food and getting out of the parking lot was also fine but we were doing all of that before the vast majority of people were finishing. Again, it was a different story depending on when you finished.