Options
I'm doing low-carb, today was my first day

and my values came out as this:

Totals 1,238 28 89 77
Your Daily Goal 1,603 220 53 59
Remaining 365 192 -36 -18
Calories Carbs Fat Protein
*You've earned 343 extra calories from exercise today

I'm way over fat and protein and not 0 carbs - shouldn't I be zero carbs? Am I doing something wrong?

The food diary says that I got all 28 carbs from the cauliflower, aubergine and tomatoes I ate - surely I'm allowed these things?

Replies

• FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to it zero carbs, then yes, you are doing something wrong. You should cut out everything in your diet that contains carbs.

As to the more pertinent issue, why do you want to eat zero carbs?
  • ForTheLastTimePlease
    Options
    Well I'm doing like a low carb diet.

I'm using this book:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neris-Indias-Idiot-proof-India-Knight/dp/067091648X

It is based on atkins :)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,099 Member
    Options
    Yeah, eating zero carbs isn't necessary for weight loss, but whatever. . .

If you don't eat carbs, of course you're going to go over in fats and protein. That's the idea.
  • sdumma
    sdumma Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I've tried low carb before as well and it made me a tired cranky mess!
  • ForTheLastTimePlease
    Options
    I hope that doesn't happen. The book says that people only really suffer if they don't see it through the first two weeks and they don't drink enough water or take the right vitamins or they don't actually read a book on it so they do it wrong /: I'm not saying you guys didn't do it properly but I'm curious as even with such precautions I still will feel bad :S
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,099 Member
    Options
    I hope that doesn't happen. The book says that people only really suffer if they don't see it through the first two weeks and they don't drink enough water or take the right vitamins or they don't actually read a book on it so they do it wrong /: I'm not saying you guys didn't do it properly but I'm curious as even with such precautions I still will feel bad :S

If any plan tells you to take "the right" vitamins, read a book and follow it precisely, drink exact amounts of water - run. Far Away.. You shouldn't have to worry about so many things. Are you trying to lose weight? Is that why you are attempting this Atkins-like thing?

• FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Well I'm doing like a low carb diet.

I'm using this book:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neris-Indias-Idiot-proof-India-Knight/dp/067091648X

It is based on atkins :)

Weight loss doesn't have to be that restrictive. It's a simple matter of maintaining a calorie deficit over an extended period of time.
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    As others have noted, "low carb" doesn't mean no carbs. It would be insanely difficult to have zero carbs.

I think what you're looking to avoid are the complex or "starchy" carbs, like breads, pastas etc? Even on the most strict low carb plan, they don't mean for you to eliminate simple carbs like veggies.

I've done a version of low-carb for a specific health issue - avoiding yeasted breads primarily, and I'm just not really interested in rice and pasta. The first 1-2 weeks were killer for me; I was *exhausted* all the time and cranky (I was also doing zero sugar for a set few weeks). Within 2 weeks though I suddenly had more energy than I've ever had, and lost a ton of belly fat.

Although I'm a proponent of avoiding complex carbs, it sounds like you probably need to do a little more research, as you may be misinterpreting some key pieces.