Reintroducing your body to running after surgery.

Options
Hi Everyone,

Im trying to reintroduce myself to running after having had 1 knee surgery and 1 hip bursectomy. The orthopedic told me I can do whatever I want now. I was an avid runner for years and loved the sport until I had to have my 1st knee surgery, then i began working out all was good for 10 years until last year when I found out I needed the bursectomy. Anyone have any info on how to coach myself back into road running? I surely miss it.

Thanks so much.

Replies

• FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    maybe start with walking

and then start adding in running intervals
  • _JamieB_
    _JamieB_ Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    maybe start with walking

and then start adding in running intervals

Exactly what my physical therapist had me do after my knee surgery
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,958 Member
    Options
    Either try the Couch to 5K program at- http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml -or start with the elliptical or Adaptive Motion Trainer if you really can't run yet.

Couch to 5K is a great program. You can skip entire weeks if you find yourself too far advanced, or repeat weeks if you need to.
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I never had any surgeries but if the doctor said ,whatever you can do--- but I'd surely take it easy start out like the other guy said, by walking and then pick up the pace a little when you feel safe. But know, you are going to be sore when you are finished. Just be safe, you don't want any set backs!!

Basil