Is it possible to change metabolism?

Options
I was just wondering...and looking for a little encouragement! Having gone from very overweight to now a little underweight, is it possible for me to fix my metabolism and regulate it back to normal? I now know I need to cut-back on exercise and increase my caloric intake a little; but having achieved so much I am nervous! I know I just need to take a leap of faith and see what happens, but it's hard. I guess I am just wondering if it's a hopeless cause, or if it truly is possible to change your metabolism and bring it back to normal?

Replies

• princessd1511
    Options
    Bump please
  • mfoulkebrown
    mfoulkebrown Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have heard that it is possible. I know for a fact that mine has slowed since I have started losing weight. I assume that means you can speed it up again.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Why would you be a hopeless case? You sound like you have done great!

Are you really underweight? Not knowing you at all, you sound a bit depressed/down, and you're down on yourself when you've done well. You aren't confident you can continue to succeed. That reminds me of my sister, who lost 65 pounds and developed an eating disorder.

On to your other question . . . research recently reported in the NYTimes wellness blog says that when you lose weight and exercise your metabolism slows down. The more you lose, the more it slows. Your body becomes efficient. Overweight bodies excrete lots of calories. Healthy bodies hold onto them.

There is also the 'set point theory' that says that once you lose weight, you have to maintain it at least a year and half until your body recognizes that as your stable new weight and works to maintain it. That works both ways. If you're thin and suddenly eat too much, your body tries hard to keep you at the lower weight until you convince it you really are fatter. If you're overweight and then lose, your body tries hard to keep you at the higher weight until it resets to a new level and maintains that. (Yes, this sounds anthropomorophic, but it's easier than talking about the chemistry.)

What is helpful and may be helpful to you as you try to maintain is to keep up your physical activity. Not just 'exercise'. But just put lots of movement into your day. It seems critical in the literature that you get up and move around for a few minutes every hour. Walk to the bathroom. Walk at lunch. Climb stairs. Clean the house. Whatever. Exercise doesn't really help you lose weight but it does help you keep it off. In fact, it is the single most critical factor, assuming you maintain a healthy calorie balance.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Gain weight (the lean kind). This will have the opposite effect on your metabolism as losing will. You body tries to mantian its state, it fights gaining just as it fights losing. Train hard in a low suplus and your metabolism will continue to rise. Partly because you are gaining muscle, but partly because your metabolism just starts running hotter and hotter to adapt to the new normal. The more you exercise and thus greater the calorie thoughtput, the stronger this effect. Most of the Olympians you see have crazy high metabolisms because of this. You can't do this with eating alone, you just get fat, heavy exercise is needed.