Swollen ankle/foot.

Options
My mom has been complaining of a swollen ankle/foot, she is terrified of dr's and refuses to go to get it checked out. It's only one foot, and she said it's so frustrating to feel the tightness of the swollen area. When she wakes up it's ok, but as the day progresses it gets bad.
I told her today to cut back on sodium and drink more water and see if it gets better.
But another thing that comes to mind is, she sprained her ankle really bad and then again the same foot a few months later and heard a pop (she never went to the dr for it, but her ankle was black and the swelling was BAD. 2 months after the last sprain is when she started to experience the swelling.
So my question is, is it possible to do damage to an ankle that could last this long (it's been over a year)....I know people shouldn't come to a message board for a diagnosis, but since I can't get her to a dr, I'm trying everything I can to see if anyone else has had this happen. I'm just wondering if it's possible she could have done some major damage to her foot after the fall that never healed. She always thinks the worse and swears it must be heart related.
Any opinions would be appreciated.

Replies

• blaze1zanebrobst
    Options
    if shes older and bigger its prolly not healing right. she should see a doc. tell her ur taking her out to lunch and take her to the doc insted shell have no reason to not go then! good luck praying for ur family
  • twinmom430
    twinmom430 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    if shes older and bigger its prolly not healing right. she should see a doc. tell her ur taking her out to lunch and take her to the doc insted shell have no reason to not go then! good luck praying for ur family

She is 57 and has put on weight in recent years...so the weight could be a factor too. Thanks for your comment.
  • learntolive
    learntolive Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :heart: I strained my left foot first part of January doing side lunges with shapeup shoes on. The second week I had to stop doing my exercises. Food got progressvly worse. First of April, I went to drug store, got a good brace w/metal stays down both sides, helped ALOT. Went to DC w/granddaughter and class, walked 25 miles in 4 days, came home went to foot dr. He ex-rayed it , not broken, just sprained. July-sever pain, had to crawl to closet to get crutches. Back to dr., MRI-dr says, loose legimates, no tear, just sprain. 3 weeks later-sever pain, called dr. he said if it was still that bad, needed surg. Called GP-said I needed a GOOD ft. dr. went to best in town. Ankle is not sprained!!! Gave me a shot of cordozone--could be fracture that did not show up on exray or mri, could be arthritis, could be another cond. Go back on 8/22--much better. Still wearing brace, on restricted duty at work, cannot stand all day and cannot lift over 10 lbs. Mom needs to go to dr. she has the rest of her life to live--might as well enjoy it and be healthy. It is NOT going to GET BETTER ON IT'S OWN. Also, elevate and ice. Tell mom, sorry, she needs to go to dr.--go with her-that would be best. She is going to be so scared, she is not going to hear what they say. Good Luck. (FYI--it really does hurt and it takes the fun out of life).:love:
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Even one sided swollen ankle may be linked to many conditions. Since you say it's been a year over the injury there is a good possibility that it's not related to the injury especially. A year is a long time for a sprained ankle. For ligament or tendon tearing, the pain would also recur along with swelling. It may be lymphatic or venous problems.

Most people don't love doctors but between going to doctor and risking the health of one leg, I hope she chooses the former. Best of luck!