Almond Milk - who knew?

Ripgirl
Ripgirl Posts: 172 Member
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
I have just discovered the yumminess of almond milk. I'd been trying to stay away from most dairy and have been using soy milk in cereal for quite some time. The other day I thought I'd buy the almond milk for a change and give it a try.

Soy milk I enjoyed with cereal but could never imagine sipping it on it's own - yuk. I tasted the almond milk when I opened it and it is delicious, just had it with my cereal and it was fantastic.

Only 70 calories in a cup (250ml), about the same as the soy milk.

This particular one is Earth's Own Almond Fresh. yum.

Replies

• Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,317 Member
    I might have to try that. Thanks!
  • Interesting! Do you know if the Almond Milk counts the same as regular milk for dairy servings?

I might have to try this out. My dietician wants me to focus on getting three servings of dairy a day and wants me to start drinking more milk. I have a hard time with this because I HATE drinking calories. But 70's not so bad for a full cup.
  • RLJAXON
    RLJAXON Posts: 13 Member
    Where do you find it? I'd like to give it a try.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,131 Member
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    I doubt that almond milk qualifies as dairy.

We buy the unsweetened almond milk that has even fewer calories and we love it. :heart: We put it on Kashi cereal for an evening snack.. I haven't tried drinking it because I don't use my calories for beverages, but I wouldn't be surprised to find out that it tastes great.:bigsmile:

I buy almond milk in the grocery store in the same section with soy milk. there aren't very many brands so you have to look really carefully to find it.
  • Ripgirl
    I just checked and it is in the MFP database - type in Earth's Own Almond and you'll see it. It does have soy in it, but tastes much better than regular soy milk in my opinion.

I found it at Superstore (I'm in Canada) in the organic section.

I don't know that it would count as dairy, but it has lots of nutrients in it which makes it very appealing to me. It's particularly high in calcium, vitamin D and B12. I did notice this particular one contains cane sugar, 8g of sugar per serving.

It is tasty enough I could see myself having a cup of it as a snack - always nice to find some new alternatives and a treat to be able to change things up once. Enjoy!
  • Missouwechanged
    Missouwechanged Posts: 963 Member
    Here is the website about this food that looks so delicious

http://www.almond-fresh.com/products.html

Where could I find it near Montreal :drinker:
  • Missouwechanged
    I found it at Superstore (I'm in Canada) in the organic section.

I am in Montreal, where are you? From which superstore did you get it? It is not available in my IGA
  • Ripgirl
    I'm in Vancouver, there is a chain called Great Canadian Superstore. I mostly shop at Save On Foods though, so will check next time I'm there to see if they carry this particular brand as well.
  • Missouwechanged
    Nice, thay don't have a franchise in Quebec :grumble: Then again, they do, we have Loblaws here.
  • I LOVE almond milk! My husband tasted it and said he actually likes it better than cows milk! It is much better for you and has plenty of calcium. I'm a vegetarian and eat very little dairy, so almond milk is a life saver. For drinking purposes I like the vanilla flavored variety, but it's a little too sweet for me on cereal so for that purpose I use the unsweetened almond milk.
    Yummm!!!:drinker:
  • sara1786
    sara1786 Posts: 101
    I've always wanted to try almond milk... your post has inspired me to do so!
  • sara1786
    sara1786 Posts: 101
    Where could I find it near Montreal

my cousins live in Montreal!!
  • Ripgirl
    yay! let me know what you think!
  • geicko
    geicko Posts: 151
    I love almond milk !

I use unsweetened vanilla in my pre-training morning smoothie.

Only 40 cals and so yummy !

BTW, I'm now in NB but have spent years in Montréal ;)
  • Missouwechanged

I will go at Loblaws tomorrow. I sure hope they do carry it!! Did you get any of it while you were in Montreal?
  • NotSurprised
    NotSurprised Posts: 8,083 Member
    I've never even heard of Almond milk, I will definitely try it in the next few days for sure. I take in way to few calories so this sounds good. Thanks.
  • geicko
    geicko Posts: 151

I will go at Loblaws tomorrow. I sure hope they do carry it!! Did you get any of it while you were in Montreal?

Loblaws probably have it ! We have "Atlantic Superstores here (aka Maxi & Cie/Loblaws) and they have it in both the Bio section and shelf milk section of the grocerie. The brand they carry is Almond Breeze.
  • ShellyLee
    ShellyLee Posts: 293 Member
    We had a party last night and one of the girls brought non dairy chocolate chip cookies made with almond milk and they were AMAZING!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    My ex was vegetarian and didn't like cow's milk, so we eventually found ourselves drinking almond milk - my favorite brand was Almond Breeze - the unsweetened type for cereal (otherwise it was too sweet) and the sweetened type for smoothies/drinks.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    You can get it at Loblaws in the organic section. It is called Almond Breeze and you can get it sweetened and unsweetened. There is calcium in it if you are looking for that from your dairy
This discussion has been closed.