Stay at home mama needs a weight training routine...

scorl
scorl Posts: 51 Member
Like the subject says - Need to add strength training... any good "schedule" or "plan" I can follow and do at home?! I used to use the gym a lot and lift weights but we can't afford it and I can't leave the house to do it! Help!

Replies

• TropicalFlowerz
    TropicalFlowerz Posts: 1,990 Member
    START W/ CANS OF SOUP...THEN CHK YARD SALES AND THRIFT STORES THEY ALWAYS HAVE WEIGHTS CHEAP!A GREAT ONE IS HOLD THE CANS AND MOVE YUR ARMS LIKE YUR SWIMMING FORWARD AND BACK,REALLY GETS THE JIGGLY STUFF ALL FIRM!
  • scorl
    Great idea!

I have hand weights at home just need some sort of schedule to follow. Can you tell I'm a routine kinda person?!

I've been walking 3 miles every morning - started using a C25k app to get running again. I started Insanity in June and missed a week from illness but stopped half way through month 2. I realized nothing was changing (lost some inches but no lbs) and I wasn't eating enough. Kicking myself now for it. I think weights is a better route for me and of course eating better.
  • sarah692
    sarah692 Posts: 136 Member
    Maybe try Chalean Extreme? The program itself is kind of expensive, but you could probably find a breakdown of each video online... you'll just have to motivate yourself alone without the video if you don't want to make the investment. As for weights, I think http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gold-s-Gym-40-lb.-Cement-Weight-Set/11089970 those would be good for the program (20 lbs each) and they're pretty affordable.

But if you want to just keep using your hand weights, Jillian Michaels' No More Trouble Zones video is purely strength (aside from a 5 min warmup) and I like it a lot. My first week doing it, I did it 3 times and lost an inch on my waist, which felt kind of like a miracle because my waist hadn't budged in months... could've been a fluke though. lol
  • scorl
    Thanks!
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    I'll PM you...ChaLEAN Extreme may be good for you...
  • Ashtanga yoga, sometimes referred to as power yoga. Use your own body as a weight system and get a good stretch all at the same time. There should be some good DVDs out there. Good luck!
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Supreme 90, 30 day shred, ripped in 30. All DVDs on amazon. :)
  • Mdin1029
    Mdin1029 Posts: 456 Member
    Jillian Michael's No More Trouble Zones DVD, $10 at Target
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    I would reccomend buying the book The New Rules of Lifting for Women... it has really changed my fitness and ideas behind what things I should and shouldnt be doing. It also includes a programe and tells you what to do. Most of it can be done at home.
  • quitmakingexcuses
    quitmakingexcuses Posts: 906 Member
    I just created a topic for this.. I don't know if you saw it, it's under Fitness and Exercise and I got some helpful info. Also, check out freetrainers.com . It sets you up a workout routine! I just signed up.
  • quitmakingexcuses

Haha that was the one I was talking about! That makes it easier.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member

Great minds or fools?
  • quitmakingexcuses

Great minds or fools?

Foolishly great minds. c:
  • I think people (women mostly) get to wrapped up by the idea of weight, ultimately I think it's about toning & liking the way you look. The sort of routines I do in the gym (which can easily be done at home) are things like 2 legged squats, single leg squats, these are very good for firming up the legs & buttocks. The front plank, side plank & crunches is also a routine I use. I do 1 min front, 15 sec rest, 1 min left side, 15 sec rest, 1 min right side, 15 sec rest, 1 min crunches, 15 sec rest. I complete 10 1 minute sessions in all. This will get your heart going & as I tell my friends "it's all about recovey". It's a good aerobic workout & your not dependent on any gadget but yourself. After that you can do some side bends with a weight in one hand (maybe a bag of sugar), then move the weight to the other side & do some more side bends. Try to keep the rest period down to a minimum & maybe just go all out for 30 minutes. Try it & see how it feels. Write things down & keep a log so you can see whether you're improving (from a stamina perspective) & if that's improving then the result should come in the end. It's all down to you, try to enjoy it & above all remain positive.

Good luck :o)
  • I agree with OP on Jillian's No More Trouble Zones or the Chalean Extreme workouts.
  • tishajo
    tishajo Posts: 142 Member
    Jillian Michael's No More Trouble Zones DVD, $10 at Target

^^^^^^^Agreed