Watching television during meals.

Options
Recently, I've been seeing article after article that tells about how bad it is to watch television while eating. One article said something to the effect that there are cues our bodies will miss because of the distraction of television. Do you watch television during meals? If you've tried it both ways, I'd like to know if you found it made a difference.

Replies

• Gr8mum77
    Gr8mum77 Posts: 15
    Options
    I think this theory is alot of hooey. If you make a plate of food and train yourself to follow serving size and caloric index, then it doesn't matter if you are in front of the tv or having a conversation in a formal dining room. Just stick to your limits and don't allow yourself to make another plate. Or follow up with a salad sticking to the serving size. I don't think it matters where you eat as long as you are eating correctly. But that's just my opinion.. LOL
  • rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I think this theory is alot of hooey. If you make a plate of food and train yourself to follow serving size and caloric index, then it doesn't matter if you are in front of the tv or having a conversation in a formal dining room. Just stick to your limits and don't allow yourself to make another plate. Or follow up with a salad sticking to the serving size. I don't think it matters where you eat as long as you are eating correctly. But that's just my opinion.. LOL

Ditto on this. Where I see the issue is snacking while watching TV. I can easily get where I don't pay attention to how much I'm sucking in while I watch some mindless show. I can eat a bowl of ice cream, bag of microwave popcorn, some cheese and crackers, etc. etc. while watching TV. Dinner? I've got a certain amount of food on my plate and I eat it and then stop whether I'm watching TV or not.
  • MMMendoza007
    MMMendoza007 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    LOL! Thanks for sounding off. I swear, it's such a habit, I don't know if I could break it. :)
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    I watch very little tv but, i do however have my book or magizine there and will read while eating. I find it a diversion from scrarfing down my meal. It helps me to eat slower and enjoy each bite. I have sat at the table for an hour finishing my dinner because i am reading.

I think if you sit on the couch with a big bag of chips yeah you might just eat the whole bag.
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options

^^This
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    I watch when I eat sometimes. However, I fill my plate with the exact amount that I plan on eating. I finish it whether I watch t.v. or not.
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    I also measure my food before it goes on my plate and I'm going to eat it whether I watch TV or not. Without TV, I will be bored and sad.

I agree with the snacking in front of the TV probably being more problematic - it's must mindless grazing. I don't snack. Where I do have a problem is at the movies - if I get a bet box of Junior Mints or some other candy, I'll mindless eat them during the movie until there all gone and I feel sick, so I don't buy them any more. Saves me a ton of cash at the same time.