Eating exercise calories

Options
2»

Replies

• californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I know this is an old thread but it was interesting to read. I don't eat my exercise calories and I have lost barely any weight lately. Maybe that is my problem! There are so many conflicting opinions on if you should/shouldn't eat the exercise calories. I'll just have to try eating more calories and see what happens...

It's so frustrating to diet/exercise and gain/not lose weight. *ugh*

We’ve been trying to figure out an exact NUMBER of calories that everyone should be eating, without recognizing that everyone is slightly different. In truth, the calories aren’t the end game. Your body is. So the EXACT amount of Calories that are right for you is the EXACT amount that will allow you to maintain your ideal bodyweight no matter what some calculator or chart says.

In other words, an online calculator might tell you that you need to eat 2,500 calories
    per day to maintain your ideal bodyweight. But the only way to know for sure if this is
    the right amount for you is to test it out. If you gain weight or can’t lose weight eating
    that much, then you know you need to eat less to lose weight no matter how many
    calculators and text books say otherwise.

This doesn’t mean your metabolism is broken, it just means the estimate of your needs
    was just a bit off.
  • NearlyJen
    NearlyJen Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I burned over 1,000 calories today while exercising. If I didn't eat at least half of my exercise calories, I would've been a hungry maniac.

This.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    There is no setting to change that I know of I would suggest just stop logging your exercise here on MFP perhaps use another site for logging that
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I've manually set my cal to TDEE -15% and don't log exercise, then use the notes section to keep a track of any workouts. Some people also log exercise as 1 or 2 cal.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Set custom goals and delete the workout info on the right side of the window to 0 (Zero).
    Dont log exercise.
    Or
    www.fitocracy.com and level that **** up!
  • mocha76
    mocha76 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I've manually set my cal to TDEE -15% and don't log exercise, then use the notes section to keep a track of any workouts. Some people also log exercise as 1 or 2 cal.

I am doing the same thing. Works for me!
  • chefswife1975
    chefswife1975 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I was just paying attention to what I had left and knowing what I had burned when I worked out and I was satisfied. Then I started realizing I was tired all the time and I went back and looked at how many calories I was actually eating, not the amount of calories I had at the end of the night. Turned out I was only consuming 1100-1200 calories per day rather than the 1500 that I'm supposed to be doing. At that point I stopped worrying about those exercise calories.
    Like others have said, you need to fuel your body. If you're hungry and you have calories left, then eat. You know how you should eat and you know you shouldn't eat right before bed. Just be sensible instead of overthinking it.