To all you Wii Zumba people out there....

Options
I've learned a very hard lesson this evening. I wore my Polar HRM while I did 62 minutes of Zumba on mid intensity. HRM has me burning 392 calories during that time, which I believe to be correct. However, if I didn't own the HRM and just used the Wii Zumba's calculations based on my age, height, weight only...it claims I burned 812 calories. It doesn't take a genius to realize that if you are entering these numbers from the Wii directly in MFP and taking those numbers as honest calories burned, you are being lied to. Just imagine over a week or month's time what this could do to your weight loss numbers. You assume you burned 812 calories and you decide to start eating those calories back, however in reality you burned half of those. What an eye opener for me. Just wanted to put this out there to open some eyes in case you are using the numbers directly off the game.

Replies

• DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    I know the game numbers are off, but they're not always too high!

25 minutes of high/medium intensity burns 322 calories for me, per my HRM.

The game said I only burned 200.

Regardless, yea, the numbers are way off in one way or another.
  • fitwithin
    fitwithin Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I have heard you can burn around 600 calories in an hour going to a Zumba class. It is high intensity. I haven't tried to Wii, but sounds like fun. The DVDs don't work you out as hard.
  • theresa9304
    theresa9304 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had the opposite experience. The Wii said I was burning @ 400 for an hour. The weight melted off....turns out my HRM calculated that I was burning 800-1000 cal for an hour.
  • shellydd
    shellydd Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I had the opposite experience. The Wii said I was burning @ 400 for an hour. The weight melted off....turns out my HRM calculated that I was burning 800-1000 cal for an hour.
    a 1000 an hour!! you're my hero of the day :)
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    i always just enter it on here as dance i dont know if thats any more accurate but twill do, i dont eat back anyway :)
    x