Those who have lost weight using MFP, how'd you do it?

Options

Replies

• tvanhooser
    tvanhooser Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    What percentage do you recommend for carbs, protein, and fat?

Most doctors and nutrition experts I've read or talked to recommend either a 40-30-30 ratio or an 50-30-20. I'm sure this is one of those, everyone has an opinion things and there will be argument over it but that is what I have always understood and it seems to work for me.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    What was your calorie goal, what sort of exercise did you do, what did your diet include/not include? Hw much did you lose in how much time? Thanks:) I need some motivation right now.

My calorie goal has always been 1500-1600 net calories. Yes, I eat back all my exercise calories. I cut out as much junk food/treats as I can on a daily basis, and save 1-2 days a week for treats and not worrying about counting calories. I lost about 30 pounds in 6 months before getting pregnant. Now that I'm done breastfeeding I'm ready to get back to losing weight. I hope to lose another 30 pounds in the next 6 months.
  • tvanhooser
    tvanhooser Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Don't make it too difficult. What has worked for me was calorie counting and exercise. Do I also monitor my fat, carbs, protein, etc? Yes, but I don't go crazy about those numbers. I don't do low carb, it doesn't work for me. In my opinion, this has to be a lifestyle change to work, and that's what I've done.

Yep! This--TOTALLY AGREE!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Exercise: strength training 3-4x a week focussing on full body compound movements.

Nutrition: minimum 1g/lb of LBM protein, approx 60-100g fat normally, carbs to fill the remaining cals. My daily deficit is normally 500/day when cutting and generally average 1/lb per week over time. (not linear)

I don't cut out any foods except ones that I believe taste like *kitten* :laugh:
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    What was your calorie goal, what sort of exercise did you do, what did your diet include/not include? Hw much did you lose in how much time? Thanks:) I need some motivation right now.
    I am 5'9" and 330 lbs. My actual goal is around 2000-2500 cal/day. I almost never log exercise, although I do track it using an HRM. I have my app goal set to 3000 because some days I exercise much more than other days (and thus eat more) and I hate seeing the red number if I go over :sad:

My TDEE is around 3300 with the activity level set at "sedentary". I burn around 600-1500 calories per day from exercise. I've lost my ticker in total and 140 lbs in the last year. I could have lost more if I didn't party with my friends so much :bigsmile: :drinker:

Currently, most of my current exercise is cardio-based. I do Les Mills classes; BodyPump, BodyCombat, and Sh'Bam. I play soccer twice a week. I try to squeeze in a 1-4 hour hike during summer weekends. I run a few times (2-3 per month) when the urge strikes me for a total of around 12 miles/month.

I am currently thinking about dropping BodyPump for a good heavy lifting routine so I can add some muscle mass to my frame while I drop the rest of my excess weight.

I don't pay much attention to my macros *yet*, but I expect as I get closer to my goal weight I will need to refine my methods. I'm usually over my sugar goal but I tend not to stress about it since I eat a bunch of fresh fruit each day. I aim for 150+ grams of protein every day
  • SWilkins75
    SWilkins75 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I am 5'9" and 330 lbs. My actual goal is around 2000-2500 cal/day. I almost never log exercise, although I do track it using an HRM. I have my app goal set to 3000 because some days I exercise much more than other days (and thus eat more) and I hate seeing the red number if I go over :sad:

My TDEE is around 3300 with the activity level set at "sedentary". I burn around 600-1500 calories per day from exercise. I've lost my ticker in total and 140 lbs in the last year. I could have lost more if I didn't party with my friends so much :bigsmile: :drinker:

Currently, most of my current exercise is cardio-based. I do Les Mills classes; BodyPump, BodyCombat, and Sh'Bam. I play soccer twice a week. I try to squeeze in a 1-4 hour hike during summer weekends. I run a few times (2-3 per month) when the urge strikes me for a total of around 12 miles/month.

I am currently thinking about dropping BodyPump for a good heavy lifting routine so I can add some muscle mass to my frame while I drop the rest of my excess weight.

I don't pay much attention to my macros *yet*, but I expect as I get closer to my goal weight I will need to refine my methods. I'm usually over my sugar goal but I tend not to stress about it since I eat a bunch of fresh fruit each day. I aim for 150+ grams of protein every day
    You've lost over 140lbs from changing your diet and exercising alone??
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I KNOW, it's crazy right?! :tongue:
  • Aedrah
    Aedrah Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I KNOW, it's crazy right?! :tongue:

It's fantastic! Congratulations!!
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    grains made me fat. Carb addiction is a real thing, and the more science I read, the more I realize how our government recommended food pyramid is killing us. I have MFP set to 1500 calories with 25/45/30 macros. I don't sweat if I go over, and often hit 1700. I focus on low intensity cardio with short bursts of high intensity, regular strength training (not the little pink dumbbells or the group classes that are really cardio ... I work out in the "guys section" of the gym). My eating habits are the hardest thing to overcome because I'm trying to slowly move my entire family away from the crap that is constantly in my cupboards, but I focus on meats, fresh veggies, fruit, nuts, seeds and a some dairy.
  • papate
    papate Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I watch the quality and quantity of food, keep it low calorie, low fat. I do a lot of walking and elliptical. Simple common sense, watch what you eat and you have to exercise. I know it's that dreaded "E" word, but we gotta do it. Good Luck.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    I lost most of my weight before I got on MFP. Just lost the last 25lbs online, and that was through bringing what I had learned offline here, finding support and friends who were traveling the same journey, and using the tools and resources here to stay motivated and on track.

As far as what food/fitness changes helped me lose 80lbs...

Don't cut anything out unless you really don't want to eat it. Yes, you will have to make some concessions, but it's always a choice. Feeling deprived is not necessary.

Focus on building better habits, not restricting your calories or burning like crazy. The numbers are all relative and obsessing over them is micromanaging a much bigger problem (ie: how you became over weight in the first place and why you are still there). I started focusing on making healthIER choices (like salad instead instead of a side, not having seconds if I wasn't hungry, portion control, weighing out my higher cal foods, drinking more water than anything else, etc) and getting my *kitten* moving by finding activities that would help me get fit and enjoy what I was doing.

If you focus on building good habits, it won't be that hard to maintain. And you'll end up loving it - I can't imagine living life any other way now that I've been doing this for a few years.

Sure I count cals, and I keep track of my macros, but that's not how I lost 80lbs. I lost 80lbs by being AWARE of whatever I was putting past my lips and how much my body was moving. Doing better each week/month helped me realize real progress.
    Set yourself goals each week and month - food, fitness, and personal growth goals - to help with building better habits. It's not a scale goal but it's something you can actively work towards and check off at the end of the month. Then just keep up with it and set new lifestyle goals as you go. Here are some of the goals I set for myself along the journey:

1) Try a new social activity every week with friends that involves fitness, instead of a regular gym workout
    2) Meal plan for dinners 3 nights this week, and try at least one new recipe that includes a healthy food you've never cooked before.
    3) Get t bed by 11pm at least 4 nights this week.
    4) Start and finish a novel this month.
    5) Try hot yoga (more than once!)
    6) Curb my reliance on artificial sweeteners (I now still use them from time to time, but never have the inclination to add sweetener to my coffee/tea or on a daily basis)

Good luck to you! Feel free to ask me anything you'd like if you need support/encouragement.
    Meag
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Exercise was my missing link. I wasn't eating THAT bad before, just too much for the mostly sedentary lifestyle I was leading. I started by walking the dog more, then Couch to 5k, then EA Sports Active 2 on the Playstation which is circuit training with 5 pound dumbbells ... and now I run 3 times a week, minimum of 3 miles at a time, and lift weights 2-3 times a week.

Like everyone, once I decided to lose weight, I wanted it gone immediately, so I set myself to lose 2 pounds a week. But I only had about 30-35 pounds tops I *could* lose, so that didn't work for me. The most I ever lost at 2 pounds a week was one pound, so I switched it to one pound a week, and my weight loss stayed the same, but I was able to eat more. Win win! When I got within 10 pounds of my goal, I switched to a half pound a week. All told, I lost 30 pounds in about 7 months.

I always ate my exercise calories. That's what made this work for me. Previously, any time I tried to lose weight, I cut calories too much, and that does not work for me. I lose a disproportionate amount of muscle, so even when I reached my goal weight, my body fat was still too high for my liking. By eating more when I exercised, I not only felt a lot better while losing, I maintained my muscle and was thrilled with my results.

As far as macros, I have mine set for 50%carbs, 25%fat and 25% protein, but I just use that as a loose guideline. I mostly just focus on getting at least 100g of protein, and let the rest fall where they may.
  • FitBunnyEm
    FitBunnyEm Posts: 320
    Options
    Hi, well i log EVERYTHING!
    i exersize everyday whether thats a spinning / kettlebell class or the gym/ running outdoors/ x2 Dog walks a day (have Sundays off)
    I sometimes go over calories, sometimes under but its no biggy , i watch the numbers but i dont beat myself up because as long as the foods im eating are natural healthy and balanced then its all good.
    i never have cheat days as i dont see the point. I do have treats but they arent cake/chocolate they are rice/wholemeal pittas/ wraps. Popcorn or a nice yoghurt.
    I lost weight before MFP, on and off, but logging and keeping track is the way forward..Ive tried every diet going (slim shakes/weight watchers/ slim world/ celeb slim) deprivating doesnt work, all in moderation.....So im no longer on a diet. This is my way of living, and am really happy now.
    Good Luck. x
  • cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    Since I started following "Eat to Live" by Dr Fuhrman, I no longer count calories, eat until I'm satisfied, and I've lost 23 lbs this past month. It's worth checking into to see if it might be right for you.

As far as exercise, I strength train 3 times/week for 30 minutes, 2 days/week HIIT for 20 minutes, and walk 2 miles daily.
  • GaidenJade
    GaidenJade Posts: 171
    Options
    Since starting MFP I have begun working out 3 to 4 times a week. An hour on most of those days. I do martial arts, boxing, dancing and of course jogging. I also lift weights, though I am only at 10lbs right now I plan on going up when I'm ready. I do walk as much as I can as well to add to my weekly routines. But I change it up, I keep it fresh or else I would get bored.

Food wise, I'm just smarter with what I eat. I eat more fruits and watch my portions. I don't really deny myself anything as long as I have enough calories left for the day. My goal is 1200 to 1700 cals..more if I work out. I only eat back half, normally, it depends on how I feel ...But since I only log in the morning and at night, I don't obsess over my calories during the day, so I eat just what I think is healthy and what my body is telling me I need. One day it'll be a salad, the next a turkey hoagie, chicken, eggs. whatever. Learning about what is really in our foods is the first step to reteaching yourself how to eat.

I've lost 22lbs in 2 1/2 months. I do plan on amping up my workouts eventually, but I have a low tolerance for exercise every day, I've tried it and I just burn out. So the thing is to just find what fits you and keep challenging yourself.

Edited: I forgot one thing. Drink LOTS of water. I used to hate water, but I am so used to it now. Not only does it cut back useless calories, but it's great for your skin and your body. I mean, if you want to lose weight your body has to be working right, how can it work right when it's dehydrated?
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    My biggest secret is to keep close to your macros, plan a day ahead what you'll eat (when given freedom I don't make the best choices). If it wasn't on my log I didn't eat it. I made sure to plan to eat every 2-3 hours and stop about 2 hours before bedtime.

So. If I was planning for a Wednesday (work day). Breakfast at work at 7:30, snack at 9:30, Lunch 11:30, Snack 2, Dinner 5, Snack 7, Bed 9:30.

Everyone on here will say exercise is the secret, but I lost 35 of my 45 pounds while not working out. I started working out for the last 10 and that was only because I felt it was healthier, not to make the weight come off any faster. Diet (eating) is the biggest part of successful weight loss. Eating the right foods and the right portions is the key...
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

I worked out everyday for a year and didn't lose "weight", but I gained muscle and obviously lost some fat along the way. I had kept ALL of my bad eating habits, though, so I was just maintaining, but it was frustrating! After I joined MFP a few months ago I did the 1200 cal thing and learned a lot about what I was actually eating. I lost weight like crazy for a bit and then stalled for weeks. But, on 1200/day I was starving and cranky all night, every night. I implemented IPOARM a few weeks ago and the weight is coming off again. My maintenance base is actually about 1800, so I set my deficit goal to 1400 and eat back all or more of my exercise calories, so I'm taking in 1800-2000 per day. I go to the gym for weights and/or cardio, depending on the day, 5xweek and yoga and walking on the weekends. I don't deny myself anything, really, I just try and choose healthy options instead. If I know in advance I will be eating a less than healthy meal, I'll workout harder and do my best to make sure everything else is clean for that day and the day after. If it "just happens" and I eat a crappy meal every once in awhile, I call it a treat and never chastise myself about it, I just go back to doing my best.

Be kind and patient with yourself, and good luck on your journey!
  • lucyloo1300
    lucyloo1300 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just started too on MFP about a month ago now my results so far are 13.8 weight loss pounds, 2 inches off my waist, and approx. 1 inch off my thighs. I'm usually a consistent exerciser at the gym but haven't done much during the summer (mainly because of the weather, I'd :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: rather be outside). I'm finding MFP keeps me on track and true to myself. I too don't focus so much on the calories, but ensure I take in enough protein, I do eat carbs but I make sure it's mainly from vegetables and grains rather than starchy carbs (i.e breads) and my fats come from healthy sources (ie: olive oil). Keep up with the postings and you will get there, its hard work but the rewards at the end are worth the trouble.
  • tjphelps73
    tjphelps73 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    MFP opened my eyes!! In Oct 2011 I faithfully started using my MFP daily. In June 2011 I weighed 362lbs. I now weigh 270lbs and still heading south. I never had a clue what the calorie content was in the food I put into my system. I did not understand how the carbs, protein, & fats, were processed in the food I ate and what my system did with them. Once I started tracking what I was eating I then started making small changes to get control of my daily calories. I had read somewhere that losing weight was basic calorie intake minus calories used - I now understand that equation. November 2011 I hit the gym 1 or 21 days a week and from there the rest is history. I now visit my gym 4-5 days a week and use workout videos at home. My complete lifestyle has changed and I now Eat to Live NOT Live to Eat!

Food is everywhere - someone gets married, you eat & drink; baby shower, you eat & drink; a funeral, you eat; EVERY celebration has food. No one throws a party and says ok everyone, let's get on our treadmills for an hour and burn the calories!! It is - We accomplished this goal, let's eat, drink, and be merry!

Once I found the balance, I used it to my advantage and now I am determined to hit my goal and for every goal I hit we celebrate but not with food. I will not lie, sometimes I feel like I am strapped to MFP and that I will never be able to eat meals without knowing ahead of time what it will cost me in calories BUT I have hope that once I am at goal weight, what I have learned will be imprinted and I will be able to maintain without becoming dependent.

One day at a time, one step at a time, and each day brings new meaning to my life.

Good Luck on your journey.