Moving to the artic! (Canada) Will the reduce...

Options
motivation for me?

I move to BC in early November this year :) I find that the cold temperatures here can reduce my motivation for the gym.

Anyone here from BC who finds it hard to exercise during the winter months? Do they use some heating inside the gyms there? Do they even have gyms open during Winter? lmao

I winge about the temperature getting to 15 degrees in Western Australia but I am to expect a minimum of -8 in BC supposedly. Eep!

Wouldn't mind some new MFPs from BC ^_^

Replies

• splucy
    splucy Posts: 353
    Options
    Will it reduce*

Oops. *face palm*
  • misswager
    misswager Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    This post made me laugh!!

B.C in in NO WAY like the Arctic!! People often think Canada= FRIGGIN cold! B.C. has quite similar weather to the UK actually if you have ever been. Its not as cold as Alberta (where I'm from). Of course B.C. does get snow and temps drop below 0. But us Canadians are modernized with heating ;-)

Of course gyms are heated in the winter!!

-8 is NOTHING lol, Alberta can often drop to -30 in the winter.

You will be just fine :-) If your a runner, and you run in that clean crisp air, you will find that you will sweat, even in below 0 temps. My dad (Calgary) always runs every other day, he does about 15K. Even if its -25!!! He is determined and ALWAYS sweats a bunch.

Its cold, but I LOVE it!!! You can take up Snowboarding too
  • SerenityNow76
    SerenityNow76 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Lol as a fellow Aussie I can understand your trepidation. I was worried moving from North Qld to the Hunter Valley, The temps don't have as much of an impact as you think it will (not that it gets really cold here, just colder than I'm used to).

Like misswager said you have a heap of new sports to try out.
  • splucy
    Options
    Oh yes how could I forget the snowboarding? ^_^

That will be fun to log as exercise =D

Good to hear that it's similar to the UK. I used to live there. Although I never exercised back in those days.... I tried running outdoors sometimes but found I just wanted to run back home to snuggle in front of the fire... hmmmm....
  • deagh93
    deagh93 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    The weather in Vancouver is very similar to the weather in Seattle, where I live. The UK is actually further north than Vancouver, if anything. Winters are grey and misty rain, with some snow. Generally speaking the weather is mild here in the Pacific Northwest, not as hot in the summer, not as cold in the winter. Great place to live, really.
  • Kristan_Forsey
    Kristan_Forsey Posts: 103 Member
    Options
  • leannehoggdodd
    Options
    If its anything like the uk expect rain every day of the week and every week of the year - you just have to try and ignore it and pretend it isnt there!

15 degrees is a summers day in england! hahaha!

x
  • Springfield_Rocks
    Options
    I moved to a northern rural community in ontario and thought I was doomed, then I found out about the local cross country ski club. As a Christmas present we outfitted the whole family with cross country skis and signed up with the club so the kids got lessons and we had access to the many groomed trails. It was the BEST Thing ever. We went out several times a week and we had real quality family time. I absolutely love summer, but i am actually excited to see snow this fall.

Find out what kind of outdoor activity clubs are in that area and join. Most clubs offer activities at a very cheap rate. I also joined the local hike/snowshoe club and that was free. Now I can go on hikes already planned by an experienced hiker every week for free. It's awesome!!
  • Lauralovesmfp
    Lauralovesmfp Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I just moved to Calgary from the Yukon last month. BC is nowhere as near as cold as the Yukon. In fact they rarely get snow that stays. The Yukon can drop to -50 celcius with the wind chill and people there still get out. Your body adapts. For example in the Yukon we rarely get above 25 in the summer and since being here it has been in the high 20s and early 30s and at first I was inside not being able to stand it and now I have adjusted to it, in just over a month. You'll be fine. BC is so beautiful and it is the fittest province in Canada!
  • CanadianChic
    Options
    This post made me laugh!!

B.C in in NO WAY like the Arctic!! People often think Canada= FRIGGIN cold! B.C. has quite similar weather to the UK actually if you have ever been. Its not as cold as Alberta (where I'm from). Of course B.C. does get snow and temps drop below 0. But us Canadians are modernized with heating ;-)

Of course gyms are heated in the winter!!

-8 is NOTHING lol, Alberta can often drop to -30 in the winter.

You will be just fine :-) If your a runner, and you run in that clean crisp air, you will find that you will sweat, even in below 0 temps. My dad (Calgary) always runs every other day, he does about 15K. Even if its -25!!! He is determined and ALWAYS sweats a bunch.

Its cold, but I LOVE it!!! You can take up Snowboarding too

^ THIS!!!! I was expecting to read that you were moving to Inuit or something..... haha you will be just fine in BC :happy:
  • splucy
    Options
    chuffed to hear it! I'll just have to have a cup of concrete and bare the cold!
  • manhn1
    manhn1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're moving to Northern BC? Because it is cold.

But if you're moving to, say, Vancouver or Victoria, then LOL! It's not that cold!

Vancouver is a very mild climate and our community is quite active. Running/walking/biking the Seawall, hiking the Grouse Grind, and the Sun Run are some activities that many, many residents do on a regular basis. And Vancouver is a very walkable city. Lululemon was born here--so we must be fit and active!

It is wet. Often. I have a gym membership. There are many gyms in the area. Will you be renting? If so, virtually every condo building in Vancouver (and there are TONS) has a gym.
  • therealmax
    therealmax Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Welcome! BC has the mildest climate in Canada, and if you're moving to the southern parts of B.C. You shouldn't have many issues with working out outside all year long. If you can stand a little rain, there isn't much in the way of weather that keeps me in the gym. Just invest in a good quality rain shell for staying dry :).
  • misswager
    misswager Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    PS. B.C is beautiful and you will fall in love with the place :-) Also tonnes of awesome mountain biking there!! Try and visit Alberta as well while your living there... have a blast!
  • dwardca
    Options
    The lack of motivation in the winter months is in your head - a mindset. The Finns and Swedes build outdoor saunas and get out into the cold during the winter - over here in Canada we hide inside and hibernate. What's the difference? The mindset.

Get out and exercise - cross country skiing ... ice fishing .. curling - whatever you choose to do - do it. You burn more calories in the cold and its healthier for you. Just remember to breath in through your nose so the air is properly warmed before entering your lungs.

As for "Moving to the Arctic" .. consider the people in Tuktoyaktuk, NT ... get rid of the shopping, the video games, the urban diversions ... they have no problem going outdoors and doing things.