Whey Protein, Energy Drinks and Water Study

Options
i just found this article in the newspaper - http://www.calgaryherald.com/health/Alberta+researchers+debunk+fitness+myths/7046810/story.html

it suggests using cottage cheese or a glass of milk after a workout instead of a protein powder. plus they had some things to say about water consumption:
Like when you think about drinking before you’re thirsty: “your body has worked for millions of years using thirst,” Gill notes. If anything you perform better when you don’t drink before heading out for a run or a bike ride because you’re not adding a kilo of water to your weight.

“There’s no animal we would make drink water when they’re not thirsty. Why would we think we need to drink when we’re not thirsty?”

they start the article pointing out people have died from 'over hydration'.

thoughts? where does this put those of us who struggle to get in eight glasses a day? should we be drinking more or less? and what about people who want to power lift and take protein powder along to the gym? is it a good idea? i wonder because i'd like to be a serious lifter myself in the future. anyone have any further articles about similar things, whey protein, water and energy drinks?

Replies

• FiercelyBeautiful
    FiercelyBeautiful Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    i just found this article in the newspaper - http://www.calgaryherald.com/health/Alberta+researchers+debunk+fitness+myths/7046810/story.html

it suggests using cottage cheese or a glass of milk after a workout instead of a protein powder. plus they had some things to say about water consumption:
    Like when you think about drinking before you’re thirsty: “your body has worked for millions of years using thirst,” Gill notes. If anything you perform better when you don’t drink before heading out for a run or a bike ride because you’re not adding a kilo of water to your weight.

“There’s no animal we would make drink water when they’re not thirsty. Why would we think we need to drink when we’re not thirsty?”

they start the article pointing out people have died from 'over hydration'.

thoughts? where does this put those of us who struggle to get in eight glasses a day? should we be drinking more or less? and what about people who want to power lift and take protein powder along to the gym? is it a good idea? i wonder because i'd like to be a serious lifter myself in the future. anyone have any further articles about similar things, whey protein, water and energy drinks?

That theory goes against thousands of medical studies stating the opposite.Thirst is the first sign that dehydration has already occured. Keeping out bodies in a state of hydration keeps our bodies operating at an optimal level. Our skin, organs, and muscles depend on water for proper function. Furthermore, whey protien is in a concentrated form, you would have to eat a boat load of cottage cheese in order to achieve similar results which would also mean a lot of calories and a level of dairy that is unhealthy. Dairy contributes heavily to bad gut flora and should not be a staple in ones diet.
  • Rozlynmac
    Options
    I don't have access to it now, but there is evidence that the current research on how much water we should consumed is based on research carried out exclusively by bottled water manufacturers and therefore heavily biased.

That said, in our current culture I do believe plenty people have no clue what's normal and need to re-learn and if making yourself drink tons is part of that learning process, well it's better than continuining to get the eating part wrong., and I think over-hydration takes a fair bit of effort, most folk will stop as they start to feel nauseous.

8 glasses is a meaningless figures too - what's a glass? My work supplies 0.2l plastic cups, so that's what I drink. My gym supplies a different size. My home has yet another size of glasses and different still mugs along with a few pint glasses thrown in. I'm 5'4" and fairly slim built, a friend is 6'+ and considerably overweight, I'd guess he needs more fluid on a day than I do.

Off to read the article now :D