Replies

• astraldream
    astraldream Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    deleted
  • kingofcrunk
    kingofcrunk Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I am. I've ridden since I was little. I used to have ponies/horses on loan up until I went to uni. At uni I joined the equestrian society and had lessons but since leaving uni I haven't been able to afford lessons. I am finally going to start having some soon in the next couple of weeks and from there I hope to get back into loaning horses. I hope to get my own one day, once I've saved up enough to get my own place and be a little more comfortable financially!
  • chezileigh
    chezileigh Posts: 255
    Options
    hey there, there's quite a few of us. I have two horses who I hack a lot, but not a lot more than that at the moment.
  • CHN_
    CHN_ Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I've only been able to afford lessons once a week, but it's been enough for the past five years when I was studying. Now am I need to get a full time job before I can afford more, so I'll stick with my lessons.

The autumn semester starts in a week, and I am really looking forward to going back. Been too long!! Absolutely love it, and it's a great way to burn as well. I have been riding for so long the lessons leave me dripping with sweat and I usually burn 500-1000 calories, depending on what we are doing and if I do a double-class or not. Double jumping got me 1200 last year!
  • peace_pigeon
    peace_pigeon Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I am! Have been since I was a wee one. I have a wonderful swedish wb mare and we do mostly dressage. We did just start doing a bit of jumping as well and have been trying to get out on the trails a bit as well. Dressage is a *great* core workout (all of that sitting trot!), and I have found that as my fitness and strength increase, my riding is getting better. I think my mare appreciates that :)

How accurate do you think the MFP calorie burn is for riding??
  • cserg
    cserg Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have a 11 year old paint draft cross mare- tennesseewalker / Shire. She is amazing!! Ironically we are both shedding the weight right now. She was called voluptuous by her vet about a year ago so we have taken about 400 lbs off her (don't freak! She was really over weight and 16+ hands). That is her in my tracker below and me at my wedding reception last summer. Yes I got on her in my sun dress and sandals! So fun!

I laugh at the calorie counter for horseback riding because the actual riding is half the work. Does anyone count the hours of grooming, mucking, bathing, hauling saddles etc around as exercise?
  • kittyd7015
    kittyd7015 Posts: 4,546 Member
    Options
    Does anyone count the hours of grooming, mucking, bathing, hauling saddles etc around as exercise?

I deffo do!! xx
  • Monnietron
    Monnietron Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I was! Unfortunately once my beautiful Arabian mare died I fell out of it =( I was 13 and it devastated me. I have only been riding 3 times since and can barely do it anymore lol.
  • SDormer91
    Options
    Haven't been riding for two years but I miss it so much. I was riding a 16hh Thoroughbred called Mickey (I'm only 5'2") but he had to be put down last year while I was at uni because his arthritis was so bad. He was an awesome schoolmaster who built up my confidence but still challenged me with uppity days.
    I'm hoping to be able to lease or buy a horse once I've stopped studying and have some spare cash as there isn't anywhere to do lessons in my area :)