Habitual Rituals -- What's yours?

Options
I truely believe that to be successful in being healthier, you need to form new good habits and be rid of old bad habits. We, as humans, are creatures of habit. Think about it, do you sit in the same spot in the cafeteria when you eat your lunch? Park in the same spot at work? Do you feel "discomfort" when your routine is changed? It's not because it's "hard" to park somewhere else, or sit in a different spot, but it's just not how we've done it. Well if you want change, you need to recognize this discomfort and find ways to make a new routine. For those debating on getting a gym membership with the hopes that "this time, I will succeed".. try walking the same time everyday for 20-30min (or even shorter in the beginning) to form the habit. Build off that block as you succeed in accomplishing your goals. Here is an article that points out some things about habits that you may or may not have known..

http://www.lifehack.org/articles/productivity/18-tricks-to-make-new-habits-stick.html

What are some of the habits you can think of, that seem kind of stupid that you do? Can you think why you do it? Is it comforting?

For me:
Always park in the same (or atleast near if my spot happens to be taken) the same spot at work.
When I'm in a meeting, class, gathering that requires more than one day attendance. I will sit in the same spot the next day.
Pat down my pockets to make sure my phone is there, even seconds after putting it there. (I've even done it while holding my phone!)
Take the same route in the grocery store. I feel like I forgot something if I don't. (Try going backwards once!)

I'm sure there is more for me. I'm curious what others have to say :drinker:

-Jenae
"Lift Heavy! Run Hard!"
www.facebook.com/jenaesmithfitness

Replies

• Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Most of those are useful habits.
    Habits exist so we don't have to think about something we have done loads of times before. It is so that your brain can focus its energy on new things.

I always have my morning and evening routine the exact same.
  • JenaePavlak
    JenaePavlak Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Most of those are useful habits.
    Habits exist so we don't have to think about something we have done loads of times before. It is so that your brain can focus its energy on new things.

I always have my morning and evening routine the exact same.

Yep! It's usually to help make you more efficient! (See article) but when you think about it, do they seem a little silly?

"Lift Heavy! Run Hard!" =D
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I have almost no habits. I think that's why my life at times feels overwhelming. I have a hard time sticking to one way of doing things when I can think of many more ways to do them.

I think part of it was that for 6 years I had a very odd/rotating work schedule that didn't really allow me to make anything routine. I think it also taught me to roll with the punches rather than setting myself down a path that would lead to being less mindful about what I am doing.

However, my boyfriend is all about set it and forget it... You know, settling into a routine so you don't have to think about it? I can see the advantages of it in certain aspects of my life and I'm trying to create some habits. Unfortunately, it's hard to start making things a habit when you've never really had any.
  • Annaruthus
    Annaruthus Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    One thing I've pointed out to people who have trouble eating clean/healthy is that they have eaten bad foods their entire lives, aka habit! You have certain things that you reach for when you have little/no time to cook. Now you have to learn how to reach for something else! I try to help them understand that changing these eating habits isn't easy, but it is worth it!
  • JenaePavlak
    Options
    I have almost no habits. I think that's why my life at times feels overwhelming. I have a hard time sticking to one way of doing things when I can think of many more ways to do them.

I think part of it was that for 6 years I had a very odd/rotating work schedule that didn't really allow me to make anything routine. I think it also taught me to roll with the punches rather than setting myself down a path that would lead to being less mindful about what I am doing.

However, my boyfriend is all about set it and forget it... You know, settling into a routine so you don't have to think about it? I can see the advantages of it in certain aspects of my life and I'm trying to create some habits. Unfortunately, it's hard to start making things a habit when you've never really had any.

Are you sure? I just thought of a few more as I went to the break room..

I use the same stall in the bathroom. I put my creamer in first, before my coffee.
  • budru21
    budru21 Posts: 127
    Options
    So many of these little habits, but just to name a few: same locker box at the gym (I admit, I even moved someone' s stuff to a different box to get mine back), packing a water bottle EVERYWHERE I go, same spot at work, blended protein shake first and last thing I do every day (will pack my blender or not sleep anywhere else), and log my food after preparing it, but before estimated it.
  • JenaePavlak
    Options
    So many of these little habits, but just to name a few: same locker box at the gym (I admit, I even moved someone' s stuff to a different box to get mine back), packing a water bottle EVERYWHERE I go, same spot at work, blended protein shake first and last thing I do every day (will pack my blender or not sleep anywhere else), and log my food after preparing it, but before estimated it.

Oh ya! Same locker for me too! I get a little bummed when I see someone elses lock on my locker.. Like, how did they not know?! lmao!!

"Lift Heavy! Run Hard!" =D
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options

Are you sure? I just thought of a few more as I went to the break room..

I use the same stall in the bathroom. I put my creamer in first, before my coffee.

I pack snacks/food for work, maybe and I put my kids to bed at about the same time every night after I help them brush and floss their teeth.

I don't ever eat the same things 2 days in a row, my meal times are all over the place, I go to bed at different times of night and I haven't even settled into any bed time rituals. There is no set day of the week that I do anything besides my work schedule. I'm getting to the gym every day now but it's always at different times. I'm trying to put some order into my chaotic life, ya know?
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    There are too many to list :laugh:

I have at least two cups of coffee each morning before breakfast !

I start my gym routine by riding a stationary bike ....... am really grumpy if all the bikes are being used ..... will use the elliptical or TM instead, but gotta keep an eye on those bikes ...... soon as one is free, I'm there .....

Every Sunday morning, after the gym, I go foodshopping ...... yes, I look (and probably smell) like something the cat dragged in, but I don't care ...... I always have my supermarket card & credit card in my pocket before I walk in the door, hate to look for these while I'm on line at the register ...... I walk around the supermarket at least once before picking anything up ...... I perimeter shop & spend more time looking at fruits & veg than anything else ..... I hate going down the snack aisle, and barely slow down when grabbing a "treat" for my husband LOL
  • kehuizenga
    kehuizenga Posts: 151
    Options
    I am glad to hear I am not the only one like this! I get really frustrated if I can't keep my routines and it has never really made sense to me why. I am very specific about them too--I have both daily and weekly routines. I do certain chores and exercises the same day of the week every week. I even do this with certain tasks at work. My daily morning routine is the one I absolutely could not change to save my life (well I have added in running 3x week but I just kind of do that before I do any of the other stuff). It's bad. My sorority sisters used to tease me about how ingrained my routine is. Perhaps this is a bit TMI, but I even have bms at the exact same time every day. I love routines.

That said, I do let go with my routine on the weekends and allow a little spontaneity in my life.
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Habits! Yes......am trying to break the bad food habits, and it's working! I find myself craving different foods, and not reaching for the chips and cookies so much :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

I know I have some quirky habits, like at work.......when I start my day, I have to open a number of different programs on my computer. If I don't open them in the same order, it kind of sets me off - first email, then my accounting program, then Excel, then my browser.

When I park my car (and yes, I like to try to park in the same place each day, but that doesn't always work), I make sure to turn EVERYTHING off. Radio, lights, whatever else. I dunno why I do that, but it just makes sense to me.

I tend to sit in the same spot at church, but DO try to mix that up a little on occasion :bigsmile:
  • ahappystamper
    Options
    I think my worst habit is that I but "junk" for "other people" and then end up getting into it . . . . alot! No more of that for me . . . I'm sticking to my list and that's it!!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I am too A.D.D. to have any rituals. As soon as I begin one, something different catches my eye and I'm doing something different. I don't do anything the same all the time. I even forget to watch my TV shows sometimes and have to catch up online.