Body Fat %

Options
Tilran
Tilran Posts: 626 Member
Where can you get a good measurement of this and how costly is it to do weekly or monthly?

Replies

• FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Depends on the method.

I think the actual number is irrelevant, they key is to be moving in the right direction. You can monitor that goal by simply taking waist measurements, or just looking at progress pictures.
  • Dan112358
    Dan112358 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Local colleges may have a Dexa.

I just caliper myself every month or so.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Depends on the method.

I think the actual number is irrelevant, they key is to be moving in the right direction. You can monitor that goal by simply taking waist measurements, or just looking at progress pictures.

This is good advice.

Alternatively Accumeasure calipers and myotape are cheap and reasonably accurate.
  • karrielynn80
    karrielynn80 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Depends on the method.

agreed. you can use the handheld ones (my gym has one) but i have found them to be inconsistant - i've been told you should do them in the am right after you empty your bladder tho, just like weigh ins, for consistant results but i do mine after workouts so that could be why.

a lot of ppl on here like the calipers & those are relatively simple. I haven't seen them at walmart, but i imagine a gnc or nutrition store - relatively cheap & can be done in home.

I am going to try a scale that measures it along with weight - b/c a) my scale is starting to die (battery) and i have no clue where to get a new battery & b) i'd like to see how consistant it is if i do it as i weigh...

last i checked (via handheld after workout) was bt 19-22, i don't care which end i'm at but i'd like to see consistancy to back up my diet & if i can get one accurate, i'd like to shoot for 15% and see how i look like with that...

(sorry for the long reply)
  • Tilran
    Options
    Depends on the method.

This is good advice.

Alternatively Accumeasure calipers and myotape are cheap and reasonably accurate.

While I somewhat agree that the actual number is irrelevant, taking waist measurements and looking at pictures doesnt really give me accuracy that I am looking for. I wouldent look at a house and say hmmm probably about 300K and then offer that much money....I'd want to see actual numbers.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,672 Member
    Options
    Where can you get a good measurement of this and how costly is it to do weekly or monthly?
    Bod Pod and it's at most about $50 a shot. If you're going to do it weekly, you can get calipers for cheap, but unless you're an experienced user, the actual reading could be off.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Depends on the method.

This is good advice.

While I somewhat agree that the actual number is irrelevant, taking waist measurements and looking at pictures doesnt really give me accuracy that I am looking for. I wouldent look at a house and say hmmm probably about 300K and then offer that much money....I'd want to see actual numbers.

Fair dues.

The Accumeasure calipers I mentioned will give you a reasonable level of accuracy if you learn to use them correctly and do so over multiple sites on your body (3 will generally be good enough.) They are pretty cheap as well.

You could try a BodPod (air displacement method) if you want real accuracy. It's not as expensive as DEXA and more accessible.

ETA: I see Niner has beaten me too it ;)
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    BodPods are the best method I've found for periodic checking (2-3 times a year maybe). I have a handheld, but even when used correctly they are pretty inaccurate, as are scales (same technology). Calipers are decent for more frequent readings but even then they can be quite inaccurate.

Progress photos help. I take measurements too. Every 2 weeks when I am on a cut.

Finally - the scale can help. Not in that it tells what your body fat is but in the LONG term it should be trending in the downwards direction.
  • ipiddock
    ipiddock Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    You can get Analyser Personal scales now that measure this. They work by sending an electrical pulse in to the foot and calculations are made on resistance. These scales also measure things like Muscle Mass, Hydration, etc. But there are many ways to get measurements. The important thing to do is pick one method and stick to it, then watch the trend - not necessarily the numbers. The scales btw cost me £30 (UK) - Slater is the brand I purchased, they have a wide range. I'm sure there are other brands though.
  • Tilran
    Options
    Thanks all! Great advice and suggestions. I will give both calipers and the BodPod a shot.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I love my calipers.....it get sometime to get used to.
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    You can get Analyser Personal scales now that measure this. They work by sending an electrical pulse in to the foot and calculations are made on resistance. These scales also measure things like Muscle Mass, Hydration, etc. But there are many ways to get measurements. The important thing to do is pick one method and stick to it, then watch the trend - not necessarily the numbers. The scales btw cost me £30 (UK) - Slater is the brand I purchased, they have a wide range. I'm sure there are other brands though.

The scales basically calculate your body fat % and your muscle mass based on your hydration levels - so it's important to weigh at consistent times of the day. Ex: in the morning I'm down in hydration (obviously), and therefore the scale shows me up in body fat by ~2-4% and down in muscle mass by ~4-5 lbs (as compared to measuring at the end of the day). I've been graphing these measurements daily for 2+ months and can confirm that there is absolutely a direct inverse correlation between hydration and body fat % per the scale!

Therefore, this again becomes a tool to measure the trend, as you said.