What do you do for sore muscles??

Options
My calves have been super tight for 2 days. I worked thru it yesterday & did plenty of stretching. I was thinking of getting Icey Hot or something to help relieve the soreness. Does anyone else use creams? Do they work? What do you do for sore muscles??

Replies

• TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Rest them?!
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    My calves have been super tight for 2 days. I worked thru it yesterday & did plenty of stretching. I was thinking of getting Icey Hot or something to help relieve the soreness. Does anyone else use creams? Do they work? What do you do for sore muscles??

Rest them is a good suggestion. Compression socks or calf sleeves is another.
  • Superbritt2drescu
    Superbritt2drescu Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I stretch and then sometimes soak them. A nice warm soothing bath. :)
  • JeffMatchett
    JeffMatchett Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Take glutamine after working out.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Rest.

You may also want to invest in a foam roller. In addition to stretching after working out (especially running & biking) I spend some quality time with my foam roller (hips, IT band, quads, hamstrings, calves & soleus/achilles tendon). Not quite as good as a trip to the massage therapist but helps a lot.
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Foam roller and more stretching. Tiger balm also works wonders.
  • MellyMelx23o
    Options
    Rest them?!

No way! I'm doing Insanity & I refuse to give up!
  • LovesAdventure
    LovesAdventure Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    My massage therapist recommends soaking in a bath with Epsom salt. It works! Epsom salt is cheap and can be found at any drugstore or Walmart, target, etc.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Take glutamine after working out.

Great advice!

Others have also mentioned REST, which is essential. Also, I soak in a hot bath with Epsom salts. Icy hot patches can work, but be careful not to leave them on too long.

Edit to add: I also take naproxen sodium (Aleve). It does the trick for me when all else fails.
  • MellyMelx23o
    Options
    Foam roller and more stretching. Tiger balm also works wonders.

I'm not sure what a foam roller is, I'll have to google that :huh:
  • ElviraCross
    ElviraCross Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I just drink lots of water, rest, and make sure to stretch. I also think hot baths help relax my muscles. Not sure if it helps or not but I always have a protein smoothie after my workouts.
  • jetabear10
    jetabear10 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    stretch and eat more protein
  • lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    you can use a tennis ball as well as a foam roller - you tube for technique
  • Inforthelonghaul
    Options
    Following a proper cooling down routine will help eliminate the accumulation of lactic acid.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I work them, longer but less intense workout. something like hiking with my dogs, an easy bike ride, light lifting, etc.
  • littlebitsilly
    Options
    Hi, I am a massage therapist and I'll tell you what I use and use on my clients. To me it is a miracle remedy and if you use before work outs it prevents the soreness from reaching it's potential and of course after to continue. If you all ready are sore , as you are, it will help heal faster. Epsom Salt is good but Pure Magnesium oil is better by far. You can get it in health food stores or off the internet. I use a brand from Swanson. I know it works so I don't try to buy others. It is Dr. Barbara Hendel's Magnesium Chloride Brine from the Ancient Zechstein Sea. I love this product and so do my clients. It helps the muscles heal faster, Great for soreness, pain, arthrits, Chronic pain. I use lotion to apply first if spraying directly on skin because it can feel dry and itchy. I have senstitive skin so I just do it. It can be put in your bath water to soak or soak a hot towel with it in the water and apply for spot applying. When I work in the yard for 3 hours or more usually I would be so sore the next day I could hardly move without pain. If I use the Magnesium I just feel a little sore. It amazes me every day how well it works. My hands get sore if I forget to use it on them after working several days in a row without applying it to a client or myself of course. If I use it atleast several times a week , I don't even notice my hands to be sore at all. This is like epsom salt on steriods. My clients love it.
  • ipiddock
    ipiddock Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Radox bath ftw.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am a massage therapist and I'll tell you what I use and use on my clients. To me it is a miracle remedy and if you use before work outs it prevents the soreness from reaching it's potential and of course after to continue. If you all ready are sore , as you are, it will help heal faster. Epsom Salt is good but Pure Magnesium oil is better by far. You can get it in health food stores or off the internet. I use a brand from Swanson. I know it works so I don't try to buy others. It is Dr. Barbara Hendel's Magnesium Chloride Brine from the Ancient Zechstein Sea. I love this product and so do my clients. It helps the muscles heal faster, Great for soreness, pain, arthrits, Chronic pain. I use lotion to apply first if spraying directly on skin because it can feel dry and itchy. I have senstitive skin so I just do it. It can be put in your bath water to soak or soak a hot towel with it in the water and apply for spot applying. When I work in the yard for 3 hours or more usually I would be so sore the next day I could hardly move without pain. If I use the Magnesium I just feel a little sore. It amazes me every day how well it works. My hands get sore if I forget to use it on them after working several days in a row without applying it to a client or myself of course. If I use it atleast several times a week , I don't even notice my hands to be sore at all. This is like epsom salt on steriods. My clients love it.

oooh! Magnesium oil....never thought of that. I will check my Swanson's catalog. Thanks for the suggestion!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I stretch them, get my husband to massage them, then go on with whatever I was going to do.
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Rest them?!

No way! I'm doing Insanity & I refuse to give up!

Don't think about it as giving up, think about it as listening to your body and resting when it needs it - just on a temp basis. Then when your body is conditioned you can do all the insanity your want.

When I have sore legs, I cut back on my activity, use Tiger Balm and take walks.