How do I lose 5 pounds in 7 days?

Options
2»

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Reduce your calories to low but safe levels, do NOT exercise too much (this will encourage water retention), and switch full bore to a ZERO carb diet for the weak. Low carb diets see huge losses in the first couple weeks due to intense water loss (which is why they regain a ton of weight when they up carbs).

This won't lose you any weight in fat, but could shed a few pounds of water long enough to make the goal for your insurance.

Actually the low carb for a week is a really good idea. Then go back to normal next week.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I don't know how much you weigh, so not sure how your body will respond, but the closest I ever came to that kind of weight loss was 6 pounds in 9 days. I very strictly followed Dr Ian Smith's Fat Smash Diet, Phase 1. (9 day detox) You can have all the fruit and veggies (no white potatoes) and water that you want and almost nothing else. No alcohol, no caffeine, no white rice, no bread, no pasta, no dairy except non-fat Greek yogurt. You can find the details on line or checkout his book from your local library.
  • MissGND
    MissGND Posts: 11
    Options
    I know that 10% may seem like allot but... is saving that 10% for 6 months worth the damage you can do to your body and emotional state worth it? Most people do not realize how much harm they can do to their bodies in just a few days, some damage can last months, years and even a lifetime. Even if you lose the weight, you may end up paying a much higher price, emotionally and financially than you would have by just accepting the 10% increase for those 6 months, you might also end up gaining weight from the stress and the sudden change in your diet and exercise routine. Money is tight these days for most people, I understand that, and as a diabetic who has to pay her own health insurance premiums that are outrageous to say the least, I can empathize but I have to say that I would rather pay a higher premium for 6 months than to stress myself out over 5lbs and a 10% increase in premiums and cause myself physical and emotional harm that I may or may not be able to handle later on.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Adjust your MFP to 20% carbs for the week.
    Dont work out.

High fats and protein.
    Maybe only a 20% drop from TDEE.
    Youll do fine.
    This is what I'd do too. Carbs at 20%, Cut down on sodium. Drink lots of water. Don't work out. And then know that the scale will immediately go back up when you start eating carbs again.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I know that 10% may seem like allot but... is saving that 10% for 6 months worth the damage you can do to your body and emotional state worth it? Most people do not realize how much harm they can do to their bodies in just a few days, some damage can last months, years and even a lifetime. Even if you lose the weight, you may end up paying a much higher price, emotionally and financially than you would have by just accepting the 10% increase for those 6 months, you might also end up gaining weight from the stress and the sudden change in your diet and exercise routine. Money is tight these days for most people, I understand that, and as a diabetic who has to pay her own health insurance premiums that are outrageous to say the least, I can empathize but I have to say that I would rather pay a higher premium for 6 months than to stress myself out over 5lbs and a 10% increase in premiums and cause myself physical and emotional harm that I may or may not be able to handle later on.
    Most of the suggestions here are to go low-carb and get rid of any excess water weight. Do you really feel that is harmful?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I haven't read anything on this thread that sounded particularly dangerous to do for a week.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Cut water.

Lower your carbs (a lot).
    Lighten your workouts (nothing intense, just for the week)
    Drink water
    Keep sodium low
  • Angimom
    Angimom Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    Try the cabbage soup diet, I have done that 2 times before and lost 7lbs both times in 1 week. I do not like veggie soup, so I only add onions, cabbage, veggie broth, V8 juice with extra spice and seasonings for the soup. It works and I always feel great afterwards.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would forget about it. You can of course take laxatives, workout in a sweatsuit to dehydrate, and do all that other stuff that people are recommending, but they are not healthy and have side effects. For instance, someone said fighters cut water weight all the time which is true, but they do it under supervision. One bout of heat stroke from spending too much time in a sauna or exercising in a dehydrate state and not only could you have potentially life long complications, but any work you have already done and money you could have saved is down the drains. You have to weigh your risk versus the savings and I personally wouldn't do it and I don't think people should be recommending methods on this website like that which are probably violations of the unhealthy diet rules.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    have you tried water pills? this could get rid of some excess water weight to help you pass this physical.
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I don't really care if it's fat or water, or if I gain it back the next day. I just need to get through the physical!

Ugh! I hate that they wouldn't even consider doing a body fat read instead. Nope, has to be the BMI scale to make it fair for everyone. WTF?? How does that make it fair for everyone??

First off, you can't ACTUALLY lose 5 lbs of fat, so here are some suggestions:

Wear super thin clothes, take your shoes off, if you are due for a hair cut, get it cut.....remember, you probably weight naked at home. You will not be doing that at work! Don't eat before weighing in. Don't drink before weigh in. Take a HEARTY dump before and make sure to pee right before if you can.

And do the sauna the day before...that might help get a little water retention out.
  • Merithyn
    Merithyn Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would forget about it. You can of course take laxatives, workout in a sweatsuit to dehydrate, and do all that other stuff that people are recommending, but they are not healthy and have side effects. For instance, someone said fighters cut water weight all the time which is true, but they do it under supervision. One bout of heat stroke from spending too much time in a sauna or exercising in a dehydrate state and not only could you have potentially life long complications, but any work you have already done and money you could have saved is down the drains. You have to weigh your risk versus the savings and I personally wouldn't do it and I don't think people should be recommending methods on this website like that which are probably violations of the unhealthy diet rules.

Thank you for your concern, but I don't think that's really an issue. I'm not talking about cutting weight forever. I'm looking for ways to drop some extra weight - water weight - over a few days. It isn't any unhealthier than people using a flush diet.
  • bpotts44
    Options

Thank you for your concern, but I don't think that's really an issue. I'm not talking about cutting weight forever. I'm looking for ways to drop some extra weight - water weight - over a few days. It isn't any unhealthier than people using a flush diet.

I know what you're trying to do. So far some people have recommend laxatives, diuretics, and cutting water like a fighter (working out and sauna with sweat suits on). Which is what I was condemning. I would avoid all of that. If you want to cut carbs for a week or fast for a day go right ahead, but a recommendation of extreme workouts and drugs is bad advice IMHO.
  • bpotts44
    Options

I know what you're trying to do. So far some people have recommend laxatives, diuretics, and cutting water like a fighter (working out and sauna with sweat suits on). Which is what I was condemning. I would avoid all of that. If you want to cut carbs for a week or fast for a day go right ahead, but a recommendation of extreme workouts and drugs is bad advice IMHO.

Sorry, didn't finish. I was given a mild diuretic for a CT scan on my kidneys and bladder this week. I went out for what was normally an easy bike ride as they told me it should not bother me. I was in a world of hurt and almost had someone come pick me up. Luckily I had two water bottles with me and drained them both on a ride I normally might just take a splash of water to wet my mouth. These recommendations are negligent. Be careful, but its your body.
  • babyxblue101
    Options
    The no carb diet is a great way to get rid of water weight! you'll definetly lose 5 lbs if not more in 7 days. when I do it I get really tierd and sometime light headed though so im really not a fan of it, but it gets the job done and its only a week... I guess It just depends on how much you want it.
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options

Voice of reason here.....
  • Preciousliz
    Options
    Try the 3 day diet! I lose 5 pounds in a 5 days :) I found it on pinterest and I googled it too. It worked for me
  • Merithyn
    Merithyn Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    New developments: The information I was given was partially correct, but not 100% correct. The company will indeed be charging a premium for insurance based on the BMI (to the tune of 20%!!). However, the incorrect part was that it was already in place. That is not the case. Apparently, it won't start until January 1, which means that I have 4.5 months to lose the five pounds. Whew! Much more manageable!

For those who offered suggestions, I appreciate your help. For those who offered caution, I appreciate your concern. Luckily, I will not have to use any of the above. Yay!!

I do still think that the policy is wrong, but sadly, it seems to be the more common route for health insurance in the US these days.