Boredom Eating

Options
I'll have a few days where i find myself losing weight easily, sticking to the right foods and exercising. But then il have one day where im just stuck at home doing nothing, and find myself eating terrible foods due to boredom. Any helpful tips on how to avoid this? :) xox

Replies

• iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too. And it is a result of just what you said, boredom. Try to keep busy and active and then food won't be so on the brain.
  • lucille_heather
    lucille_heather Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Is there anything you think thats best to eat or drink during moments like that? or just to go out and do something?
  • Tahneeleiper
    Options
    I suffer the same problem... I suppose the right answer would be to snack on healthy food and exercise when you start to feel bored.

But honestly I dont generally have time to exercise much and the wrong food is always the easiest to grab on the go...
  • Tahneeleiper
    Options
    Is there anything you think thats best to eat or drink during moments like that? or just to go out and do something?

I think water is best to drink and things the like carrot sticks and small portions of fruit. You dont want to eat too much fruit as it contains natural sugars but they still count!!
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! Usually I try to go out and be active (if I'm not doing anything in the evening then I'll go to a class at the gym, for example), but sometimes you just want to relax. For those times, I usually keep low calorie snacks around - sliced veggies, fruit, or pop chips if I feel like munching on something and can spare the additional calories. Low calorie soup or broth is also a good option for those moments when I'm feeling peckish out of boredom but know that I'm not actually hungry.
  • lucille_heather
    Options
    Haha it so is always the easiest thing to grab onto! especially with being home from university this summer, my little brother and sister can pack away loads and loads of junk food so its always in the house! gotta hate temptation! haha
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    This happens to me sometimes too, I make sure to drinks lots of water and to stay active. I try to get out of the house and walk the dog, or do yard work or clean the garage. That way I'm not going too far from the house as to where I'll eat out lol.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too. When I find myself wandering into the kitchen out of sheer boredom, I make a point to pace the floor instead. Sometimes, I will go ahead and grab a stick of celery. I figure that I can eat all the celery that I could ever want. It helps.

Mostly, you have to train yourself to be aware of the problem, then either find something like celery or lettuce leaves that you don't mind snacking on, or simply pace the floor or find something that needs to be cleaned. I am trying to take the advice that I give my kids: "Find something to do!"

Good luck.
  • KellyUK1987
    Options
    When I'm bored, I put some music on and I'll do something like jogging on the spot / jump rope / jumping jacks in my front room :)
  • laurenleighlugo
    laurenleighlugo Posts: 21 Member
    Options

I think a lot of people have trouble with that. I know I do! Try drinking water, that usually helps fill me if I chug it. You can munch on foods like cucumbers or celery. Those can't really hurt.
    Hope I helped! :)
  • lucille_heather
    Options
    thanks hun :) defiantly helped :)
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Keep a giant bowl of sugar free jello in your fridge and enjoy to your hearts content.
  • lucille_heather
    Options
    haha never tried that before. will defiantly give that a shot!
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I'll have a few days where i find myself losing weight easily, sticking to the right foods and exercising. But then il have one day where im just stuck at home doing nothing, and find myself eating terrible foods due to boredom. Any helpful tips on how to avoid this? :) xox

Don't keep terrible foods in the house.

That's my #1 reason for being careful with what I buy, so that I don't get tempted.
  • lucille_heather
    Options
    I completly stick to that when im living in my university home. but with being back at my parents over the summer whilst im not at uni and having two younger siblings that eat absolute junk and not put weight on means there is always junk food in the house! terrible temptation!!
  • thebrianmo
    thebrianmo Posts: 108
    Options
    A lot of avoiding boredom eating comes from will power and self control. Therefore it won't be easy. I used to do just that as part of my eating disorder, but I've learned that just because I'm bored doesn't mean I have to eat.
  • coreyoreyoreo
    coreyoreyoreo Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I do this, a lot. I also just eat because stuff tastes good, but I'm not hungry. When you think about it, like "ooh, that ___ sounds so good right now." drink some water (more than just a sip), and think about whether you're hungry or not. More often than not, you'll figure out that you're just bored.

When I'm home after work, I get pretty bored because there's no one fun home until I go pick up my boyfriend like 3 hours later. I normally forget to do "productive" things and just sit around on the computer and stuff, so I'll do a workout video, or go to the gym, or go for a walk/run. If I don't feel like working out or if I'm not feeling so hot that day, I'll get some stuff done that I really need to do like laundry, some cleaning, organizing, cooking. By the time I'm done, it's time to go pick up the BF. :)
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Sugar free chocolate pudding is my little helper!! :) But it's tough. Try to avoid foods that you can endlessly snack on and if you do choose to snack, measure out the serving size in advance. No snacking from box/bag/pint. (Easier said than done, I do realize!) Or keep veggies and fruits around.
  • lucille_heather
    Options
    Yeah im usually always busy, but im one of those people that like to have just one day every so often to myself to unwind and relax. and its usually those days where i find i boredom eat! defiantly need to do something to keep myself busy and away from bad foods whilst im at my parents house over summer! sooner i get to my uni house then the sooner bad foods wont be in my kitchen! haha.
    yeah i think thats my problem sometimes, just eating out of the bag, measuring out my food will defiantly help! thankyou! :D
  • Goldenwoof
    Goldenwoof Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Eating out of sheer boredom has always been one of my biggest downfalls. Nothing to do? Send out for a pizza! :)

Lately, I've just made myself do something else. Anything. Doesn't matter what...just ANYTHING. Go outside and throw tennis balls for my dog. Better yet, take my dog for a walk. Play Wii (I loves me some Mario Kart). Study something online.

But if I have to put something in my mouth, it's something healthy. Maybe an apple. Some low-fat yogurt. Celery. A mango. Holy crap, do I ever love mangoes. Popcorn. And water. Lots and lots of water. And more water.

It's a mental thing. Just make yourself do something other than eat the next time you're bored, and afterward, you'll feel so good about the decision that it'll be even easier to do the next time and every time after that.

Good luck! :)