RMR tested. Now what?

Options
I just got my RMR tested. I have a very hard time losing weight. The woman doing the test said "Well this could explain a lot - you have one of the slowest metabolisms I've seen". Awesome...

My RMR is 1022. The printout said in order to maintain my weight I need to eat between 1022 and 1328 calories a day. I run 3-4 days a week along with other activities, but that still isn't enough to create the deficit I need to lose weight.

The printout said that in order to lose weight I need to eat 1000 - 1022 calories a day (less than that requires medical supervision).

So, do I exercise 2 hours a day to lose weight, or just try and eat 700-800 calories a day to lose? (even at 700 calories a day, I would only lose .5 pounds a week).

I really feel like crying.

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I would try to stick to 1000. Any exercise you do is a bonus. Make sure your doctor knows about your exercise routine though.
  • Tenar13
    Tenar13 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I agree I would eat at the suggested rate but ensure you meet your macros ie get enough protein and fat (suggested 40% carb, 30% protein and 30% fat. And perhaps look to add some resistance training this will help you maintain muscle during weight loss. The other option would be to eat to maintain but do the resistance training to try and build muscle which should increase your BMR and therefore make it easier to loose the weight...
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Definitely meet protein needs. Make that your number 1 goal following meeting your calorie goals.

I'd suggest eating 1050 calories a day, and exercising every day. Now, the exercise can be anything you want it to be, a nice hour long walk around town/park, cycling, etc. Just something to get a few extra calories burned.

Given your low RMR, I would also suggest you look for as nutrient dense foods as possible, even going for vitamin supplements and slim fast (PACKED with nutrients).

Something you MIGHT want to consider... eating a calorie surplus and hitting the gym hard for weight training. This can build a couple extra pounds of muscle for you which will improve your RMR.
  • Lonewolf1507
    Lonewolf1507 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    bump
  • popzork
    popzork Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Update...My dietician was shocked at the low number, also. She said it makes sense given my history, though. She demanded that I do not eat under 1000 calories. She said that the nutrient deficiency would make me ill over time if I ate too little. She said to take a daily vitamin and the only other thing to do was to try and exercise more. That is the only way to lose weight given my numbers.

But, she did say that those tests are extremely accurate, so that was good news for both - bad for me, or course.

So, I guess I will have to increase my exercise. Now I have to try and find something I LOVE to do, not just like since I'm going to have to do it for extended periods of time....

Augh...
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    The printout said that in order to lose weight I need to eat 1000 - 1022 calories a day (less than that requires medical supervision).

So, do I exercise 2 hours a day to lose weight, or just try and eat 700-800 calories a day to lose? (even at 700 calories a day, I would only lose .5 pounds a week).
    I don't understand. It says you were told to eat 1000 calories to lose weight, so you think you have to eat less than that...?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    There are several VLCD programs appropriate to your circumstances for 4-6 weeks - they give you full nutrition at 800 or less calories. Talk to a doctor or a better dietician. Even with normal foods a couple of supplements will see you right nutritionally at that level.
  • popzork
    Options
    Since my metabolic rate is so low, eating 1000 calories a day would put me at a 22 calorie deficit. In order to lose a pound a week, you need a 3500 calorie deficit.

So, I would have to eat less that 1000 calories to create a larger deficit. Either that or exercise like a feind daily. That would do it, too.

I'm concerned about a VLCD because I just don't know about the mental sustainability of that for me personally. In the past, when I've gone extreme anything, I give up quickly, and then gain back everything after a short amount of time. I promised myself I wouldn't do what I couldn't sustain.

That puts me in my current dilema - I'm thinking I have to find a physical activity that I LOVE in order to create the deficit required.
  • Acidique
    Acidique Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, I began with a low RMR as well. It wasn't quite as low as yours, right around 1200 I think? Anyway, you can influence that number. Normally losing weight causes your RMR to drop a bit because your body doesn't have to work so hard to do things anymore. However, increasing your muscle mass does make the RMR go up, because muscles burn calories all the time. Mine is now around 1700, and I've been going to a weight training class at my gym along with cardio during the rest of the week. I'm not gaining bulk really, just toning.

Anyway, just some infos! :D I'm sure everyone is affected differently. But it did make a difference for me.
  • yaryrosa
    yaryrosa Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Pardon my asking but, Are you really short?
  • redmapleleaf
    redmapleleaf Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    whoa, and I thought I was low. When I had my RMR tested mine came out to be 1092. My guy then put it into the formula to see how much I approximately burn everyday. I'm a PE teacher and mother to two young boys so he said I was moderate. This does not take into account how much I work out.

These are the numbers I got.

1092 (RMR) + 546 (my lifestyle) - 500 (to burn a pound a week) = 1138 calories. So on non workout days I eat 1138 but on workout days I wear a heart rate monitor and make sure to eat those calories back.

He suggested I have my macros set at 50% carbs, 20% fat and 30% protein since 40/30/30 wasn't working for me.

I try my hardest on those non-workout days to drink my water. That helps me to keep my calories in check.
  • popzork
    Options
    I'm 5'4" - so average height!

It's good to know that weight training CAN increase it! That's what I'm striving for. I am in the market for used free weights. I have dumbbells, but need plates for my home gym to help myself along. In the meantime, I'm working with what I have!

I'm glad to know there are some others out there in my boat. If I hear one more time "All you have to do is cut back your calories a little and the weight will come off", I think it might be a non-issue because I might become homicidal!!