Marathon Training, week 10 --foot issue? help....

Options
So I ran 14 yesterday and by 13.5 the left edge of of left sole was throbbing thru the bone. It is still strobbing today. When I took my sneaker off, I could not even put weight on it. I iced it, but I am worried about my long run next week... Is there a band I can put around my foot to "hold" it together? I feel like the left side bones are splaying out... anyone ever had this? Is it fascitis? I have had that and that is usually more of a tingly soreness, this is straight throbbing pain...

Replies

• nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    not sure...my fist thought was fascitis, but maybe a stress fracture? Dunno, I wish I could be more help!
  • conniestar
    conniestar Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    First of all - congrats on your marathon training!

As far as your foot injury...the doc usually advises icing for 20 minutes on at least every hour at first, ibuprofen, and elevation.
    I have had fasciitis before, but mine was more heel and arch pain. There may be a foot support you can purchase over the counter, but I would say if you are still having serious pain today, it may be a good idea to at least talk to the nurse on call at your physician's office. I would hate to see you cause more injury to yourself by continuing to work that foot if there is something seriously wrong.

I hope you get to feeling better real soon!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    My first though was a stress fracture as well, I would recommend seeing your doctor or better yet a foot doctor, better to know exactly what you are dealing with than to risk putting yourself out of the game completely! :flowerforyou:
  • cp005e
    cp005e Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I have felt a similar feeling where it seemed like the little bones in my foot were 'splaying' out to the side. I normally wear orthotics, which helped support it enough for walking, but not enough for running or aerobics when I had that feeling. So, once it wasn't hurting as much, I wrapped the middle section of my foot in sports tape - they sell some very lightweight gauze to put underneath the tape so it doesn't irritate your skin.

I have never run anywhere near as much as you (maybe 5-6 miles), but I found it more comfortable with the tape for a while until my foot felt stronger. I even used the tape so that I could walk around the house barefoot without pain. It might help you at least until you can get to a doctor. But I do think you should get it checked - mine had pain (and that uncomfortable 'splaying' feeling) when I put weight on it, but not throbbing.

Good luck and get it checked!