Advice about blisters on hands.

Options
Sorry if this is a weenie bit graphic in advance. I went to the gym this morning and after an hour on various machines my hands really started to hurt. Queue me actually looking at them properly and I've developed a blister right at the base of every single finger on both hands just beneath the joint on the palm-side of my hands. The blisters are worse on a few fingers, but it's making it quite sore to flex + move my fingers properly.

Do I need to wear gloves? If so, what am I looking for? I popped into sports direct afterwards, but to be honest it all got rather confusing as any hand wraps they did have seemed to be for support. Is there anything I can do other than sit it out and wait for my skin to toughen up there?

I currently go to the gym two-three days a week for general weight lifting work, and whilst I can still lift with the blisters, it's something I'd like to nip in the bud as they're really quite sore! Thanks in advance.

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    You are holding the weights/bars too high up on the palms. I had this exact thing happen to me.

Place the bar of the machine/weight at the base of the fingers and wrap your fingers around. Basically what is happening is the weight is pushing down on your palm and sheering it towards the bottom there at the base of the fingers. So, if you pick up the weight at the same spot it naturally will rest at in your hands, problem solved.
  • MrsPixelbark
    MrsPixelbark Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Thank you both!

Madroch- I don't mind callouses, I just thought it was a funny place to blister!

DanaDark- I'll keep that in mind for next time I go to the gym! I'll try to go at a less busy period next time to see if I can't study how I hold the bars properly: it was stupidly busy this morning, there was a queue for a few of the weight machines.
  • kylTKe
    kylTKe Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you can find plenty of information about blister care out there. For the moment you can tape the affected parts of your hands and wear gloves. Make sure you buy gloves that fit snugly, otherwise they won't help prevent the blistering. When your blisters start to turn into calluses go buy a pumice stone and use it in the shower to smooth your calluses and keep them low. If you let them build up or become jagged you're going to get another rip.

As for what type of gloves, I suggest you just buy some generic padded lifting gloves like you can find in any sports authority (actually don't go to SA because they only have Harbinger in my experience).

There are also many other ways of taking care of your hands, but, that is what I do. Tape and gloves for rips, pumice stone to keep everything smooth and at the skin level.
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I went through a period of training without shoes on and blistering up on my feet, as well. I toughed it out and waited for the callouses. I tried rock climbing for the first time the other day and ended up calling it quits when a portion of my finger tip came off. :)

I like the advice above on proper handling, but you may still develop some. A lot of people wear gloves to avoid picking up and viruses transmitted via the equipment - I've heard stories about warts and such but have no info on the validity of those fears.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I wear gloves for pretty much all exercises that require me to grip something. I have pretty well formed callouses but the gloves keep them from turning into jagged knives. Gloves don't keep you from getting them but it does help keep them at a tolerable level. I don't generally need to file them down.

Just buy any generic or name brand glove that fits your hand good and has a bit of flexibility to it. I think my current set is just some cheap Gold's Gym gloves from Wal-Mart. I don't spend much money on them.
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    iWaffle is an awesome screen name.
  • MrsPixelbark
    MrsPixelbark Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'll see what I can find tomorrow in regards to the gloves, I didn't see any padded gym gloves today (all I saw were the support type wrist/hand wrap things), but I'm sure I was just looking in the wrong place.

Honestly, I hadn't even thought about picking up anything from the equipment. It's not something I'm overly worried about, I spent most of last year at a rescue centre getting covered from head to toe in just about everything- so germs tend to be the least of my worries most of the time!

Anyway, thank you all once again, I'll try and pick up a pair of gloves tomorrow and then keep a pumice stone to hand for callouses if needs be. Also, just to second, iWaffle is a fantastic screen name!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Where gloves. Gloves are the first thing I always recommend to people working out. Chalk isn't allowed in commercial gyms and most people don't want to grow a quarter inch thick callous on their hands and just get used to it. I've been out of the loop, i guess, because gloves and belts were perfectly acceptable when I started working out years ago, and now there's some sort of stigma attached. Whatever for that. Get gloves.

edited to add: don't get gloves that have some fancy gel padding or really any extra padding at all. That stuff wears out and doesn't really help in the first place. They probably will have an extra layer of material at the base of the fingers and that's cool. At most sporting good stores they have no problem letting you open the packages to try before you buy.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    i guess, because gloves and belts were perfectly acceptable when I started working out years ago, and now there's some sort of stigma attached.

They are trying to make gym's more beginner friendly and getting rid of intimidating things like chalk, belts, higher weight plates.. plus I know people use to make a complete mess with the chalk.. (everyone wants to be Lebron at the gym.. idiots)

But as for the blisters, either tough it out until you get callouses ( I have em on both hands below the knuckle on all fingers except thumb) or get gloves.. gloves are cheap, but I am not a huge fan of them because I am always worried about slipping etc.. but with alot heavier weights its harder to adjust your hand when lifting and thats why the callouses stick out after working out.. guess I am just used to em but to each their own.