When to Switch from 1 lb Per Week to .5 lbs Per Week?

Options
Hi, MFP. This is my second summer of going balls to the wall to lose weight. I've lost 10 pounds this time around (however it still says my total loss is 19, from last summer). I've been on the 1 lb per week weight loss and it's been working great. However, this last week I basically sabatoged my diet with eating out and not getting much exercise in (case in point: in the musical I'm in my character eats Twinkies and burgers and sweets the whole time, and the only exercise I got for the whole week was the dancing we did).
But even though I didn't do much "dieting" I would weigh myself each morning and was consistently 2-3lbs down from my last weigh in. Is this larger than normal weight loss a fluke or is it a sign that I should go to .5lbs per week?
Thanks!

Replies

• AlexPaige
    AlexPaige Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • kaervaak
    kaervaak Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    The rate that you can lose fat depends on how much fat you have on you. If you have 30lbs or less to lose, then don't do 2lbs per week. Generally, 2lbs/week is for people with more than 30lbs to lose, 1.5lbs/week is good for 15-30lbs to lose, 1lb/week is good for 5-15lbs to lose and 0.5lbs/week is for 5lbs or less to lose. Those are just my own general guidelines though, other people will tell you different things.

Also, once you get down to the last 5lbs you might want to do a metabolism reset by eating at maintenance for 2 weeks before trying to take the last few pounds off.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    it is a drag how hardly anyone answers. So.... all I can say..is I can't relate to your problem..if you're losing fast why not keep it up until you hit goal then eat at maintenance. Maybe I've misunderstood you..but at least I answered. lol.:drinker: