need more calories without carbs

Options
13»

Replies

• wisegirl_k
    wisegirl_k Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of good advice in this thread, but taking it all in could be a little overwhelming if you're new to all of this. So here are the cliff notes.

1) Start by getting your calories in check. For people eating too little, eat more. For people eating to many, eat less. This absolutely HAS to be your first step. If you're not eating the right amount, I don't care how clean or balanced or whatever else those cals are. Too much of anything will cause problems, too little will too. For most people, total cals should be based on your BMR and/or your TDEE (depending on your goals/issues). BMR and TDEE is discussed at length on this board, so I won't get into them here. If you don't know what these are, search.

2) Once you have your cals in check, then you can start paying attention to the fats, carbs and proteins. IMO, there is no reason to worry about other nutrients unless you have a heath/dietary concern that requires you to do so. Targets for fat, carbs and protein will depend on your goals and routines. Again, this is covered at length on these boards, but a good balance 30% fats, 40% carbs, 30% protein is a reasonable starting point for someone new to this. If you want to know more, search.

3) Once you do those 2 things, you need to wait. Then wait some more. During this time you can evaluate your progress. Give it at least a month before you make any conclusions about the success or lack there of, and being tweaking things as necessary.

This is very good advise. And a note from me. Try not relying so much on fast-food, even though you are making healthier choices at these places, which I applaud you for. But, when you make your own meals you have full control over what exactly you are eating. It's very simple to grill up some chicken and prep your lunches for a few days ahead of time.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    1. Avoid prepared foods and restaurants for a while.
    2. Hard boiled eggs, tuna, salmon, chicken breast, and protein powder will help you with your protein intake. MFP has the protein set way, way too low, IMO. You can safely eat up to 1 gram of protein for every pound of body weight.
    3. Less fruit. Limit yourself to 2 pieces a day on most days. Try to select berries or citrus over higher carb types of fruits like bananas.
    4. More veg. Lots more! You should be eating as much green stuff you can get your hands on. I try to have 1-2 servings of veg at every meal. Smoothies and soups are a great way to get in extra vegetables without adding a lot of extra calories.
  • tiaamato
    tiaamato Posts: 30
    Options
    thanks for all the tips. it def is a lot to take in because im VERY new to eating healthy. its even harder for me because i was raised on fast food and therefore dont care for homecooked meals. I even like the taste of "fake foods" better. so i'm very picky.

does changing the fruit in the morning to wheat toast with peanut butter sound better?
    any change it up with wheat toast and eggs?
  • tiaamato
    tiaamato Posts: 30
    Options
    ok, so is this better for a day?

breakfast: wheat thin-round with scrammbled eggs

snack: nectarine and cherries

lunch: 2 grilled chckn patties and steamed broccoli

snack: apple and celery with small amount of peanut butter

dinner: steak, broccoli and salad

tell me what u all think of this?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Much better!

You don't even have to go "small" with the PB at snack time - PB is a great!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    How about eating real food? I see quite a bit of fast food...
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the tips. it def is a lot to take in because im VERY new to eating healthy. its even harder for me because i was raised on fast food and therefore dont care for homecooked meals. I even like the taste of "fake foods" better. so i'm very picky.

does changing the fruit in the morning to wheat toast with peanut butter sound better?

I promise if you give it time, and stick to it, you'll start to like the taste of real food. But some cheese or butter on your broccoli to make it taste better - then after a awhile you'll need the "extras" less and less.

I also eat low carb, you can add me if you want food ideas.
  • emacb123
    emacb123 Posts: 254 Member
    Options

Looks good! Just wait until you eat this menu, you will feel much fuller and satisfied - you'll be surprised!
  • wisegirl_k
    wisegirl_k Posts: 38 Member
    Options

Remove the word "patties" and replace with "breast". Cook your own chicken. You can use all kinds of spices, garlic, even some hot sauce to tickle your taste buds.
    Look for natural peanut butter, regular Jiffy type brands are loaded with sugar. I'll snack on an apple and peanut butter, one of my faves.
    And if you sub the regular scrambled eggs for just egg whites, you could even add a little cheese on that breakfast sammie.

You'll learn ways to cook healthy foods that appeal to your taste. Get creative, google (healthy) recipes. Once you start experimenting in the kitchen, you'll be surprised how much you can do with healthy foods.
    skinnytaste.com is a good place to look for ideas.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options

Pickiness can be changed. Trust me on this. I used to be so picky, and now I even eat salads regularly, when salads used to make me physically sick to my stomach. Adopt a practice of trying at least one new food every week. Maybe it's a new vegetable from the produce department. Just go to the produce section and grab something you've never tried before, then bring it home and look up a recipe. You'll find some new things you like. And if you don't like something the first time, look for a different way to prepare it and try it again. I hate sauteed spinach, but I love it raw, and I love it cooked in things like omelets. I hate boiled brussels sprouts the way my mom used to make, but I love them cooked in a pork roast. Just keep trying.
  • charris582
    charris582 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've loved all these suggestions and wouldn't mind getting some help with my food intake also.
  • DPruneda17
    DPruneda17 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I've loved all these suggestions and wouldn't mind getting some help with my food intake also.

You should add some protein. Breakfast, maybe some scrambled egg whites? And greek yogurt for higher protein? And add some veggies. Your carbs may be a little high, especially in comparison to your proteins.
  • charris582
    charris582 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I do have lots of veggies on my Subway sandwich for lunch.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I think this is great. You can change it up day to day based on your preferences.

Since the original concern was total calories being too low, you might want to try pre-logging your menu and adjusting the serving size if you are still coming in low. When I first started this I was surprised at how low my calories were just because I was eating lots more vegetables than I had been (basically I added in an additional vegetable serving in place of starchy carbs in most meals), and because I was eating mostly quite lean protein choices and sticking with my understanding that a serving was 3-4 oz. Once I realized how low that was making the calories, I was able to adjust (and get more protein) by adding in larger protein servings and some dairy products and also being more open to starchy carbs and other more calorie dense foods (even simple stuff like adding some feta cheese to my vegetable omelet). Seeing the calories in advance lets you adjust when it's easier to do so.