Start running/How to prepare for 5k

Options
Hi, I have never been much of a runner. Right now I can't even run a mile. But I would really like to run and finish a 5k. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on how to ease into it.

Also, shoes? What are the best running shoes?

Replies

• Maddi_InBetweenDays
    Options
    Bump - I'm going to start running at the end of the month, and going shoe shopping next week. I'd love to see what advice people have.
  • StressedChaos
    StressedChaos Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    go to coolrunnings.com They have an awsome couch 2 5k program to get you going.
  • Run4UrHealth
    Run4UrHealth Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have never been much of a runner. Right now I can't even run a mile. But I would really like to run and finish a 5k. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on how to ease into it.

Also, shoes? What are the best running shoes?

Google and find a couch to 5k on the internet or if you have a smartphone there are free apps (much easier). I started using that and I am now running 5 miles! It gets easier the more you run! Good Luck! Friend me for any other tips! :)

I just bought a pair of Mizuno Running Shoes and ran 5 miles 2 days after purchasing them....I never thought of buying Mizuno's for running (always thought they were a baseball shoe...lol). I am not fond of Nike's as running shoes but you should go in and get fitted and try several brands on and see what you like. I personally like really light shoes when running....the lighter the better but mine have to have some support though. I do not like barefoot running. :)
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Look up the c25k program (www.coolrunnings.com)

Go to a running store and get fitted. It's the only way you'll come away with the right shoe for you!
  • CanadianMomma
    CanadianMomma Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, good question. Shoes really vary per person, I would recommend getting professionally fitted for running shoes. You don't have to buy from them as they are more expensive - ie. The Running Room. I would like to hear other peoples recommendations on running shoes though, as I have yet to find one's that I'm 100% happy with.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    go to coolrunnings.com They have an awsome couch 2 5k program to get you going.

I am starting this myself! I'm excited!
  • Mandykinz2008
    Mandykinz2008 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Definitely Couch 2 5K

As for shoes..depends on your feet. I'd recommend finding a specialized running store that can do an analysis on your feet. So much of that depends on pronation, weight, height, structure. I ended up going to a podiatrist and getting a doctor recommendation since no shoe store associate could agree..to me it was worth it. But to save money a specialized store can probably help..typically the analysis is free.
  • Nu_Journee
    Options
    Hi. I began running in January. I started with Couch to 5k aka C25k. Cool Running has the 9 week program online but there are various apps you can use on your Apple or Android phone. It's a 9 week walk/run program that gradually gets you to the point where you can run a half hour without stopping. I did my first 5k about 6-7 weeks into the program but ran my first full a month or so after. Very rewarding program. Good luck!

BTW the phone apps prompt you when to run and walk. You can play your music at the same time but still hear the prompts. I used Run Double.
  • Elizadolots
    Options
    http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/get-running-with-couch-to-5k.aspx

I've just finished the Couch to 5k programme a couple of weeks ago, now run 6.km 3 times a week. A fantastic way to eaze into running.
  • racerscottw227
    Options
    Check out Couch to 5k (C25k). It has a good run/walk program that will help you ease into it.

Also, the best running shoes differ for everybody. Find out whether you are a neutral runner or if you overpronate or underpronate. There are some good guides out there if you google for it.

I also recently bought some shoes from a major fitness chain and was able to exchange them because they didn't feel right after I ran in them for a couple of weeks. Message me if you want to know the store.
  • KellyUK1987
    Options
    I have the Couch 2 5k App.... it isn't bad but it's extremely beginner. I can jog for 15 mins, which on the Couch 2 5k is about half way through the programme.

A 5k jog would take about 30 mins, so you could start by just going for a jog / jogging on the spot and see how long you can last.

I want to run the Race For Life, for charity, next year. So I'm going to do the Couch 2 5k. Once I can run 5k, I'll just do it regularly.

As for shoes - no idea! Possibly go to a sports shop and ask? Depends which country you're in really as some US people mention a fitness store that measure etc.
  • steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    C25K is a wonderful program. I started it at 250lbs+ and now run 3-4 miles 3 days per week. I'm going to be doing my first 5K in October. As far as shoes, you would be wise to go to a running store and get properly fitted. The proper shoes make all the difference. Good luck!
  • RAWBMEOW
    RAWBMEOW Posts: 64
    Options
    running is mind over matter, I hear people like couch 2 5k. I would just start getting out there and walk a few minutes run 30 seconds, do this till you can run the whole time.
  • Pedalpush
    Pedalpush Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I gotta give props to the Couch to 5K program. I'm almost done with it and I LOVE IT!!!

I went to a reputable running shoe store and had them scrutinize my gait to recommend the best shoe. I only wear Saucony now.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    How I did it...
    Go to running store let them determine size and type of shoe (should be free - you could always buy elsewhere but I bought there because they offer a 30 day exchange program at mine if you don't love them. They also put me in half size bigger which was SOOO needed for running.)

C25K is a great program, did it, loved it.

I have a running group on facebook if you'd like to join...all levels
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/365217656871291/?bookmark_t=group
  • steph0924
    steph0924 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    What worked for me was the couch to 5k plan. You can google it and it eases you into running. Also, I went to a running shoe store to get fitted for proper shoes. Everyone is different so they would be able to help you find the right kind of shoe. I started running on my old cheap shoes and started having foot pain. So I invested in a good pair with good arch support. I do still have some foot pain though the good shoes lessen it and allow me to add running to my workouts about once a week. But, I was able to go from no running at all to completing a 5k in the time schedule the couch to 5k plan had me on. I've done 3 total 5ks and have gotten faster with each one.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    here is a similar training plan
    http://www.jennyhadfield.com/training-plans/
  • Nu_Journee
    Options
    I would recommend you go to a local running store and get your feet and gait analyzed. They will let you know what type of shoe works best for you and this analysis should be free. I had issues with shin splints until I got analyzed and found out I overpronate and needed a mod stability running shoe. I have run over 400 miles this year and I have yet to have issues since getting this done.

I swear by Asics Gel Keyano 18. Suppose to good also if you are a bit heavier.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I am doing C25K and it's a great program.
    Also, the best running shoes differ for everybody. Find out whether you are a neutral runner or if you overpronate or underpronate. There are some good guides out there if you google for it.

And this ^^^

Do your own research to find the right shoe for you.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Yep - c25k took me from being a total non-runner to being able to run the 5k distance in 9 weeks. I used a free app called c25kFREE by Zen Labs - worked great & allowed me to play my music through the program.

Good shoes, always do the walking warm up & cool down, and I found it helpful to do some good stretching after each session. I made it through with no injuries, no shin splints, nothing.

Once you get started, register for a 5k race that's about 9 weeks out so you have a goal to keep you going.