Toning Post-Baby Tummy

Options
I've been cutting calories since April and I'm down almost 20 lbs (about 10 more to go until pre-baby weight) but of course I still carry that pregnancy pooch. I've been doing ab workouts and I ordered a Pilates DVD to try soon. Really wanting to get back to a gym but $$ is tight right now. When the weather's nice, I take my son and we go for a walk down our street or at our mall. I loathe cardio and I know that's part of my problem...I'm just so darn tired with an 8 month old! LOL. Trying to do what I can for me. I'm glad I've lost lbs...getting rid of the pooch is the hard part! Any suggestions from you moms who've been there? Thanks! Any negative comments, please stay away!

Replies

• misschrissy18
    Options
    I just found this app, so I can't say how well it works yet... but SWORKIT will come up with fitness routines for you, targeting core areas (for you say core strength). You can choose the length of your workout from 5-60 minutes and best of all it requires no equipment so when your baby goes down for a nap or bed, you can squeeze in a quick workout. PS there is a free version.

Best of luck!
  • laursey
    laursey Posts: 307
    Options
    Try the 30 Day Shred video by Jillian Michaels. It tightens you up all over. My baby pooch is mostly gone. As you lower your body fat, changes will come,but be persistant and patient. I found the fat from the pooch was the last thing to come off. Good luck!
  • raebels
    raebels Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am doing hip hop abs right now and I am on week 3. I have noticed a DRASTIC change in my baby pooch since then, although I still have more to get rid of. (My son is 13 months old) I have also tried the app that misschrissy18 is talking about and like that as well because it does target your problem areas. I do my workouts in the evening after my son goes to bed. I struggled with being tired too but just made myself do it and now that I am on a regular workout schedule, I seem to have more energy.

I hope this helps! ;)
  • raebels
    raebels Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    @ laursey

I have started this workout a few times and never finished. I am planning on starting that next week after I finish my current workout. I agree.....it is a killer workout! =) Glad to know the pooch goes away a bit with it. =)
  • KWake1
    KWake1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    It's only been 8 months. Sadly, it'll take more time. Also, your body went through some pretty crazy changes, so it will probably never go back to the way it was. Not saying it won't look good. In fact you might look better, but you probably won't look the same.

Lowering your overall fat percentage will certainly help (cardio), toning every muscle you can find (strength), and of course proper eating. Avoid foods that can cause bloating like starchy breads and soda, and try to make sure you're eating a colourful, nutritious plate.

Since your baby is so young I would like to add that if you are nursing, don't worry about cutting your calories too much until after weaning. Your baby will still need those calories even if you don't think you do. Obviously you can cut them a litte, just don't be drastic.
  • abbylg1983
    abbylg1983 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I still have a pooch, but to be fair, I had one prior to getting pregnant so I can't blame having a baby. My stomach looks better now than it ever has before (of course I still have a ways to go, but I was an apple shape and that's where all my fat got stored so I started out in the hole). One thing that really, really helped me was 1. pushups- I know it sounds weird as you don't think of that as an ab exercise, but it really tightened up my whole torso, and 2. I hate to say it and might be flamed for it, but cutting out bread worked wonders for me. I've noticed blaming a certain food for fat storage is really not popular around here, but it made a difference for me.
  • hayatiggs
    hayatiggs Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    The Pilates dvd should help some. Also, try doing planks and holding for 30sec at a time or as long as you can. That helps tighten your core.