Not to be gross, but...

Options
As the topic says, not to be gross, but if you throw up not long after a meal do you still count the calories?

I got a little sick this morning after eating breakfast. About an hour afterwards. Sorry for the weird question, but any advice?

Replies

• DizzyNurse
    Options
    Gosh, IDK but that is a good question. I suppose it would depend on the amount of emesis there was and if it contained mostly liquids or some solids. I know that when we are counting fluid and/ or food intake for patients, if they vomit we usually do not count it. But it also depends on the timing and like I said before the contents. I suppose just using your own judgement is the best idea.

P.S. Sorry you got sick :frown:

P.P. S.S.-- is there any way you may be pregnant??
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Still count it, but if you are hungry later then don't worry about eating a little extra.

Really it doesn't matter - it's one day. Of course if this happens frequently you would want to talk to your doctor.
  • projektai
    projektai Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I'm feeling a little better now. :smile:
    There's no possibility I'm pregnant, but that would be a factor, wouldn't it? Anyway, I think I upchucked because I took a metabolism boosting vitamin. I'm not sure why, but it does something a little funky to my insides.

So I suppose I should just wing it on the calories. Thank you for your input, it helped me out a lot. :flowerforyou:
  • ElizabethRoad
    Options
    Thank you, I'm feeling a little better now. :smile:
    There's no possibility I'm pregnant, but that would be a factor, wouldn't it? Anyway, I think I upchucked because I took a metabolism boosting vitamin. I'm not sure why, but it does something a little funky to my insides.

So I suppose I should just wing it on the calories. Thank you for your input, it helped me out a lot. :flowerforyou:
    A lot of people feel sick from multivitamins, so that could be it. Or this one could have something in it that you're sensitive to - caffeine?
  • projektai
    Options
    I'm not generally sensitive to caffeine, but I do have a history of being sensitive to multivitamins. Maybe I should try those gummy ones?
  • ElizabethRoad
    Options
    Hoping someone else will answer that one - nothing upsets my stomach so I don't really know. My only advice would be to make sure you take it with food, but you already said you ate breakfast.
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I take a handful of vitamins and prescription meds every morning, and it's hit or miss whether they upset my stomach or not. Sometimes, I get really nauseous and have even started to black out. I try to take my meds on an empty stomach and eat after. Usually, if the meds are going to cause a problem it's within 30 minutes or so. That way it's just the nausea and no actual vomiting.

I had a girlfriend who had a really hard time with the pre-natal vitamins when she was pregnant. The doctor advised her to take the vitamins at night, and it seemed to work for her.

Hope your body adjusts soon! :)
  • DizzyNurse
    Options
    Any multi-vitamin tablet makes me very sick to my stomach. I bought a liquid at Costco that actually doesn't taste too bad and it doesn't make me sick. Another thing you could try is to take them after you eat and or take them later in the day.

(Not sure whenere you're from and if you have have CostCo. It's a warehouse store like Sams Club...)

They're called LIQUID reViva® Multivitamin .

Here's the link to them on the Costco website if you are interested

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11677911&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|589|770|90918&N=4048033&Mo=42&pos=0&No=4&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=90918&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC24936-Cat770&topnav=
  • projektai
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I may try the liquid multivitamins. I've tried several different ways of taking my vitamins. Before my meal, after my meal, during my meal (in my food) but it just doesn't sit right with me.

Thanks for all of the advice :)