Does anyone use the Fitbit Tracker?

Options
Does anyone have and use the Fitbit Tracker? If so, is it worth it? Can you tell me a little about how it has worked for you? I would appreciate the input. I am thinking about getting one, but It is a little spendy.

Replies

• dlbinin
    dlbinin Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have one. Its OK. It claims to tell you how many calories you burned through out the day, counts step, counts stairs, and counts miles. Thats about it. Personally, if you dont already have a HRM (heart rate monitor), I would invest in one of those instead. I find FitBit to be pretty much a pedometer. If you are planning on exercising, you are far better off with a HRM.
  • Kmachado9
    Kmachado9 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I don't think I will waste my money then. :smile:
  • ThorneDust
    ThorneDust Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Yeah I agree. I want to get one eventually just as a "well that was good to know" kind of thing. But first I did get a HRM which I think is the better thing to get at first. I got a polar FT4 from bodytronics.com. They have free shipping, no taxes, and the lowest cost of the HRM that I've seen anywhere. http://www.bodytronics.com/p/polar_heart_rate_monitors/POFT4 63 dollars, vs the 100 plus tax it costs at the store. The only issue I've had with it so far is that it's losing my heart rate ocassionally but I really feel that it is due to my chest strap needs a super deep washing at this point or maybe needs to be tightened or replaced as I use it a lot. I use electrode gel with mine to increase accuracy.
  • ThorneDust
    ThorneDust Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Haha I just got an ad popup on MFP about bodytronics with a coupon code of popo, and I tried it and it worked and made it 60 bucks and some change.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I have one and I like it. However, I will agree that it is basically a pedometer on steroids. If the exercise you do is walking/running style exercises, then it is very accurate. If you ride a bike or anything that doesn't involve that movement, it is not accurate at all. I find it helpful to give me an idea of my "normal, everyday" activity calorie burn (i.e. how many calories I burn putting around at work and stuff) but when I really want to be accurate on a workout, I wear an HRM. Even on elliptical machines, which is a kind of similar walking movement, I find that it is maybe only 80% accurate.

Like was previously said, if you have to choose, get an HRM. You can do more with it and you don't necessarily even have to wear it for every workout if you tend to do the same workouts routinely (once you get an idea of how much that activity burns, it will be close until you change it or get in better shape).

Finally, I still think the fitbit is worth the money, but is probably secondary to an HRM.

PS - I recently got a Motoactv HRM. You don't see much mention of them around here, but I like it a lot better than my Polar FT80 which I handed down to my wife! The motoactv has a built in wifi, mp3, gps, pedometer, and can connect to any ANT+ chest strap. It also connects via bluetooth to your smartphone so you can see texts and receive calls. Pretty cool stuff. Here is my workout from last night: https://motoactv.com/public/show?workoutActivityId=E8lEyQfnSV2d9/LjthGGUQ==&activity=4
  • Kmachado9
    Kmachado9 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have one and I like it. However, I will agree that it is basically a pedometer on steroids. If the exercise you do is walking/running style exercises, then it is very accurate. If you ride a bike or anything that doesn't involve that movement, it is not accurate at all. I find it helpful to give me an idea of my "normal, everyday" activity calorie burn (i.e. how many calories I burn putting around at work and stuff) but when I really want to be accurate on a workout, I wear an HRM. Even on elliptical machines, which is a kind of similar walking movement, I find that it is maybe only 80% accurate.

Like was previously said, if you have to choose, get an HRM. You can do more with it and you don't necessarily even have to wear it for every workout if you tend to do the same workouts routinely (once you get an idea of how much that activity burns, it will be close until you change it or get in better shape).

Finally, I still think the fitbit is worth the money, but is probably secondary to an HRM.

PS - I recently got a Motoactv HRM. You don't see much mention of them around here, but I like it a lot better than my Polar FT80 which I handed down to my wife! The motoactv has a built in wifi, mp3, gps, pedometer, and can connect to any ANT+ chest strap. It also connects via bluetooth to your smartphone so you can see texts and receive calls. Pretty cool stuff. Here is my workout from last night: https://motoactv.com/public/show?workoutActivityId=E8lEyQfnSV2d9/LjthGGUQ==&activity=4
    Thank you for the information. Money is tight and I want to get the most for my dollar. :happy: