Insanity Work Outs

Options
Hello,
I just started working out with the Insanity Videos, which I have to say they do kick my butt. Does anyone have an idea of what the calorie burn count is for the 60 minutes, at least an estimation? I know it all depends on the intensity of which the person is working out. There must be a different intensity work out calorie burning calculation somewhere so people have an idea. I got the copy of the work out cd from a friend so I have no information besides what I read online. I have also read that using a heart monitor will help in calculating the calories being burned in a work out. Any recommendations on which good inexpensive heart monitor I can purchase and where? Any suggestions will help, thanks.

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    It depends on the intensity and effort you put in. It depends on your weight and fitness level. It's going to be different every time for ever person.

I would suggest getting a HRM if you'd like to track calories burned for this workout.
  • mcasarez74
    Options
    @ Adini Thanks! Spo do you do the Insanity work out? How do you feel about them? Are you loosing weight? What other exercises do you incorporate to your work outs?
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    @ Adini Thanks! Spo do you do the Insanity work out? How do you feel about them? Are you loosing weight? What other exercises do you incorporate to your work outs?

Yes, I'm doing Insanity. I'm almost done with Month 1 and about to start the Recovery Week.
    I love it, it pushes me and it is a great feeling to have all that sweat dripping off of you. I also love that I'm slowly able to keep up more and more.

I am not doing any other workouts because I want to see my results based on Insanity alone.

I actually have gained a few lbs, which I've heard is to be expected. I've also heard that you see the most results in Month 2 so don't give up if you're not seeing a huge loss/difference in Month 1.
  • mcasarez74
    Options
    Thanks for your feedback I will keep doing mine as well. Yes I love how I sweet with it, I have to say some of the exercises they do I cant to do my I still keep moving and I do the ones I can. Yes the way you sweat is the best feeling I have never sweated in my life as much as I do with this workout so its GREAT! Good luck!
  • SAMBALLS1
    SAMBALLS1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I would say you probably loose about 750-900 calories per workout if it's hard cardio. I'm doing the p90x and that's about what I burn pusing HARD when i do kempo, cardiox and plyometrics.
  • mcasarez74
    Options
    @SamballS1 thanks for your feedback!
  • UnderConstructionLuis
    Options
    It depends on the intensity and effort you put in. It depends on your weight and fitness level. It's going to be different every time for ever person.

I would suggest getting a HRM if you'd like to track calories burned for this workout.

^^^This
  • Kristie18
    Kristie18 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I am 5"0 and 125 pounds. Started week 6 on Monday. The first month I was burning 300 or less calories and now I am burning more in month 2. 300-500 according to HRM with a chest strap.
  • SocWkrBee
    SocWkrBee Posts: 374
    Options
    I bought a Polar FT4 on amazon.com for 65 dollars. It is a watch and comes with the chest strap that transmits your info. I like it.
  • aweigh2go
    aweigh2go Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I would say you probably loose about 750-900 calories per workout if it's hard cardio. I'm doing the p90x and that's about what I burn pusing HARD when i do kempo, cardiox and plyometrics.

Be careful! The number of calories burned is a factor of weight, gender, and intensity!

The best thing I can suggest is to purchase a heart rate monitor. That's the best method.
  • jeolds
    jeolds Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Definitely look into the heart monitor. I know I will be somewhere around 600 - 800 calories for the heavier workouts like the Cardio Power & Resistance and somewhere around 350-400 for the Cardio Recovery. I am 5'11" and right now 241. The heart monitor also helps to know when you "actually" are working really hard as well. Especially when it shows you at 100% VO2 max. :D

My wife and I just got the Polar Wearlink ones with Bluetooth and downloaded the iCardio app. (It is available on both iPhone and Android) This has been much easier than using my older Polar heart monitor and it logs the workout for you as well as the zones you are working in with a great table and pie chart.

(Edit)
    Right now I am on Week 3, Day 4 and I log the workouts on here, so if you need something to compare, let me know. I'd be more than willing to help where I can.
  • chrisdmid
    chrisdmid Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I personally use these calculators:

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx
    http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/net-versus-gross-calorie-burn-conversion-calculator.aspx

I check my heart rate throughout the workout (number of beats in 10 seconds, multiply it by 6) and put the average into the forms. I'm not too rigid with the average... it'll be like "I measured my heart rate a few times, it was 150-156 each time so I'll put 153". For the time, I take the total workout time and subtract a few minutes off the beginning and end for the beginning of the warm up / cool down when I wasn't working as hard.

The workout kills me, but when the report comes back that I've burned 600 calories, I definitely feel like I earned a few snacks :)
  • OAvalos
    OAvalos Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    It very much depends on the Intensity of YOUR workout. I have a new balance with a chest strap that I got from sports authority. It was about $60 with a 20% coupon. Good Luck... and dig deeper!!
  • mcasarez74
    Options
    Thank you all for all your great feedback I really do appreciate it!
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Looks like you got some good answers about calorie burns, so I will address the inexpensive HRM question.....

I know lots of folks on here have the Polar HRMs, but I didn't have the money to pay $60+ for one. So I ordered a Pyle HRM with chest strap from Amazon, $27 with free shipping. It's done a great job for me over the past few months, no problems at all. http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PHRM30-Advance-Running-walking/dp/B004RQWXV2
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options

^^ This. I only burn 280-290 calories however, I am 5'1 and 108 pounds 17% body fat. My husband would burn around 600 calories on one workout or more. Get a HRM.... you really won't know until then.

Also if you message me your e-mail I have a wonderful excel sheet that will help you track everything. Someone with some major excel knowledge built it. Its like 100 tabs and wonderful to track everything!