ground turkey recipes

Options

Replies

• mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I use it in pasta sauce, meatballs, shepherd's pie, chili, burgers, etc.

We had turkey sliders last night. I just added some salsa verde (green salsa) and montreal seasonings. I fixed zucchini fries to go with them. I like sliders because the leftovers are great for lunch. Using things like salsa or grated onions as a mix in is necessary to keep it from drying out. That's how I can use 99% fat free and still get a decent burger. I top them sometimes with caramelized onions and a thin slice of provolone.

For shepherd's pie, use mashed cauliflower on top instead of mashed potatoes. I cook up lots of veggies with the ground turkey, make a gravy with chicken stock and then put mashed cauliflower on top. I use plain greek yogurt with the cauliflower instead of sour cream. Worcestershire sauce helps give the ground turkey more of a beef like flavor.

Just remember the meat can dry out so make sure you add some moisture if you are making meatloaf, meatballs, burgers, etc.
  • hbm616
    hbm616 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I like to make turkey chilli! In fact, I'm making it for dinner tomorrow night.

1 tbsp olive oil
    20 oz pack of ground turkey,
    1 medium onion, diced
    1 large red pepper, chopped
    1 large green pepper, chopped
    2 cans (around 14.5oz each) of any combination of red or pink kidney beans or pinto or black beans (try to find beans that are low sodium)
    1 large can (~23 oz) of crushed tomatoes, no salt added
    1 small can tomato paste, no salt added
    1 cup frozen corn/1 can corn kernals
    1 tbsp chili powder
    Salt and pepper to taste
    -Brown turkey in a large pot, drain and set aside
    -heat 1 tablespoon of oil in the pot, sauté diced peppers and onion
    -added turkey back to pot as well as 2 cans of beans, 1 large can of crushed tomatoes, 1 small can of tomato paste, and 1 can of corn OR 1 cup frozen corn
    -fill up the large tomato can ½ way with water, add to pot and simmer until chili has reduced and is nice and thick
    -add seasoning to taste

ETA: basically put in as many different vegetables as you want. I usually add some jalapenos but I wrote this recipe out for a friend who can't handle spice lol
  • RAWBMEOW
    RAWBMEOW Posts: 64
    Options
    im making armenian burgers tonight, ground turkey green pepper and parsley! yummmm:)
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I like stuffed cabbage, stuffed zucchini or squash, scrambled eggs, peppers, onions and turkey meat....like someone said anything you can make ground beef in you can substitute ground turkey.
  • bethanp
    bethanp Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    This turkey burger recipe is one of the best I've ever had. Loooove making these:

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/mexican-inspired-turkey-burgers

I'm drooling just thinking about them.
  • ctr8711
    ctr8711 Posts: 1
    Options
    Great thread, thanks for all of the awesome ideas!
  • zoegator
    zoegator Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Bump! I'm digging these recipes!
  • Anastacia1119
    Anastacia1119 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com has a bunch of recipes using ground turkey. They are great!
  • MoChroi8609
    MoChroi8609 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I love this site. I made the stuffed red peppers last night & they were great!

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/recipes.asp?category=1&tab=recipe_category

There is also a turkey enchiladas recipe that's great but the site seems to be down = ( It was in the May issue of Fitness magazine....
  • mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Instead of ground turkey...... I like to cook a bunch of chicken breast in a crockpot (great for those family packs or when it's on sale!) and then shred it. I will use it in soups, tacos, topping off some black beans and rice, sandwich wraps, etc. It's a different texture but something else you can do in bulk to have in the house. Same with cooking pork in the crockpot. It cooks the fat off of it and you just shred it.

Ground Turkey is also good for tacos or sloppy joes.
  • Siekobilly
    Siekobilly Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Butt Kicking Buffalo Turkey Burgers

1 lb ground turkey (substitute ground turkey breast if you want a more lean, but dryer, meat)
    1 tsp smoke paprika
    1/2 tsp minced garlic
    1/4 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 cup bread crumbs
    2 tbsp Texas Pete Buffalo Wing sauce (any sauce will do, this is just my sauce of choice)
    1 fresh jalapeno

Dice up the jalapeno and hand mix in with all other ingredients. Make sure to mix it well so you don't get bites of burger that or full of all the seasoning. Make into four patties, and grill.

I usually top the burger with the following:
    Pepper jack cheese
    Baby portabello mushrooms
    Tomato
    Lettuce
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • saral89
    saral89 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    BUUUUUUMP
  • herwholejourney
    herwholejourney Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    My favorite thing to make:

Mexican Stuffed Bell Peppers

Ingredients:
    4 Green Bell Peppers
    1 thing ground turkey
    1/2 can black beans (no added salt)
    1/2 can enchilada sauce
    1/2 can salsa
    Spike seasoning (Or lawrys or taco seasoning)
    Cayenne Pepper (if you like to make it hot)
    Brown Rice

Instructions: Pre-heat oven to 350. Brown turkey, add seasonings, black beans, enchilada sauce, salsa and stir. Cook Brown Rice add to the previous and stir all together. Core out the bell peppers and 'stuff' them. Bake for 40 minutes.
  • prettylyzard
    prettylyzard Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Last night for dinner I made... a low cal taco casserole

Ground turkey mixed with salsa. Layered in a casserole dish with low fat shredded cheddar and topped with crushed tortilla chips. Baked at 350 for 15 minutes.

What's the nutrition info for this?
  • winnerbr
    Options
    Stuffed zucchini or bell peppers, chili, lettuce wraps, enchiladas, meatballs.... Check out Skinnytaste.com for healthy really good and easy recipes. I believe there is a "turkey" tab you can open and it will show you all her recipes with turkey.
  • ShaunMc1968
    Options
    What are sloppy joes? They sound a bit strange to us in the UK but I bet they are good? Can I have a recipe please?
  • jesss5885
    jesss5885 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    bumpingggg
  • yarwy
    yarwy Posts: 43
    Options
    bump
  • Lize11e
    Lize11e Posts: 419
    Options
    I use it in the whole wheat (hamburger) helpers.