My work stash- this is what gets me in trouble.

Options
2»

Replies

• ramgi
    ramgi Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Oh! That's what happened yesterday. Lol! I was wondering why my tummy hurt all afternoon. Thanks for clearning this up. I had two back to back.
  • mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    The only time I have an issue with "too much" fiber is with prunes. I LOVE prunes.. and if they are in the house I will eat 5 or more a day.. this makes for a very uncomfortable tummy.
  • ilovemybuggy
    ilovemybuggy Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options

Did you read the rest of the post? Did you see what she was eating for snacks before? Squirt cheese and Hershey's? She said "semi-healthy," not "wonder food." People who are trying to make a lifestyle change for the better one step at a time, no matter how small a step it may be, don't deserve your snark.

Thank you!
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    When I was pregnant, I kept a jar of peanut butter in my desk. Used to just eat spoonfulls all day long! ACK! Whenever I stock my desk with anything - even relatively healthy stuff, I overeat it!

Now it's just a few protein bars and a mini bag of popcorn (emergency food).

Don't even let me tell you what happened to the extra boxes of girl scout cookies I brought in to sell to co-workers. Let's just say I did not actually sell any of them!
  • ilovemybuggy
    Options
    When I was pregnant, I kept a jar of peanut butter in my desk. Used to just eat spoonfulls all day long! ACK! Whenever I stock my desk with anything - even relatively healthy stuff, I overeat it!

Now it's just a few protein bars and a mini bag of popcorn (emergency food).

Don't even let me tell you what happened to the extra boxes of girl scout cookies I brought in to sell to co-workers. Let's just say I did not actually sell any of them!

I used to eat a bag of hersheys kisses within an hour; a box of crackers loaded with squirt cheese in less than an hour.... among many other things ...all.day.long... it's no wonder I packed on 60 lbs in less than 6 months- I'm trying to eat healthier, and sure these aren't THE BEST I could eat- but it beats my previous choices. Girl scout cookies- omg they were my WEAKNESS! Now whenever I see them, I turn the other way. I don't want to go back!
  • BrieLP
    BrieLP Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I've never had "bodily function" problems with it but I do eat A LOT of fiber in a day...Though I stopped eating them because I tried the weight watchers and they were like 3-4 points which was ridiculous. I'm no longer on the weight watchers diet but haven't bought any in a while. i like the brownies though nom nom nom
  • jmcveigh82
    Options
    I think that if you have a craving for something sweet and processed, they're a great choice! I personally love things like that for snacks. I used to have a HUGE sugar problem along with Pepsi. I cut all of it out of my diet and I feel great about it. But I have a stash. I have a great big tub on top of my fridge that holds all manner of low calorie, premade, processed snacks. I try to keep them up high so when I want one, it's not just because it was in my line of sight.

I definitely don't eat as well as I should. And I will continue trying to improve. However, snacks are meant to be just that, snacks. You could definitely pick better snacks, but you could definitely pick worse ones too. My suggestion, hide them well. Put them somewhere that is just a little more inconvenient to get to. That way if you really want one, you'll have to dig to the bottom of a bag or the back of a cabinet so you're making a conscious decision and not just mindlessly snacking. I go to school online and I keep nothing anywhere near my workstation. If I do, I'll get a tiny urge to eat something and next thing I know, box is empty. If I have to think more about it, I can go, hmm, not really that hungry, I can wait.

Side note: If those are my only source of fiber for the day, it'll upset my stomach. If I've had fiber from other sources, like fruits and veggies, no issues. Don't know why, that's just me. :)
  • jordanreddick
    jordanreddick Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Of all the things you could have as a "work stash" those are not bad! 90 calories a piece for a brownie, heck yeah!
  • courtniemarie
    courtniemarie Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I love those! But I make sure to only bring one to work a day if i have them at home so that I'm limiting my options :) Other than those i try to only keep "healthy" snacks in my drawer (almonds, 100cal popcorn, yogurt and fruit in the fridge). Good job switching from the milk chocolate and squirt cheese ;)
  • ilovemybuggy
    Options
    I think that if you have a craving for something sweet and processed, they're a great choice! I personally love things like that for snacks. I used to have a HUGE sugar problem along with Pepsi. I cut all of it out of my diet and I feel great about it. But I have a stash. I have a great big tub on top of my fridge that holds all manner of low calorie, premade, processed snacks. I try to keep them up high so when I want one, it's not just because it was in my line of sight.

I definitely don't eat as well as I should. And I will continue trying to improve. However, snacks are meant to be just that, snacks. You could definitely pick better snacks, but you could definitely pick worse ones too. My suggestion, hide them well. Put them somewhere that is just a little more inconvenient to get to. That way if you really want one, you'll have to dig to the bottom of a bag or the back of a cabinet so you're making a conscious decision and not just mindlessly snacking. I go to school online and I keep nothing anywhere near my workstation. If I do, I'll get a tiny urge to eat something and next thing I know, box is empty. If I have to think more about it, I can go, hmm, not really that hungry, I can wait.

Side note: If those are my only source of fiber for the day, it'll upset my stomach. If I've had fiber from other sources, like fruits and veggies, no issues. Don't know why, that's just me. :)

omg- pepsi used to be a KILLER to me. I would have a 12 pack a day!! or 6 20 oz *I used to work for pepsi too- so that def. didn't help* Needless to say, I have cut it completely out- not even diet soda. It was hard- but I feel so much better for doing it!!
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    We don't have these in the Uk, though we have our various versions of high fibre granola bars. I made the error once of eating 5 oat bars in a row, and was in pain the rest of the day with the most appalling stomach cramping. That was when I realised I am sensitive to oats, which really sucks as I am not that sensitive to wheat or most of the other grains. Just oats.
  • ramgi
    ramgi Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    There are so many know it alls on this site.
  • jmcveigh82
    Options
    omg- pepsi used to be a KILLER to me. I would have a 12 pack a day!! or 6 20 oz *I used to work for pepsi too- so that def. didn't help* Needless to say, I have cut it completely out- not even diet soda. It was hard- but I feel so much better for doing it!!

I was drinking a 2liter or 2 a day as well. Killed me when I found out how much damage I was doing. I still drink diet soda (not pepsi though, ick!) but I keep it hot and keep a limited number of ice cubes in the fridge so it's more trouble than it's worth to me most of the time. If I'm in a hurry or just want something quick and cold, I keep a gallon of cold water in the fridge. It's the only thing in there that I'll drink, so it helps me a lot to set little booby traps for myself. I enjoy making the things that are better for me the easiest, so when I take the easy way out, I am doing more good than harm. :)
  • rowbseat13
    rowbseat13 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    There are so many know it alls on this site.

Truth. I spend half my time on here eye-rolling.
  • ilovemybuggy
    Options
    I broke down and had one- but only one!