Alternatives to Tone Arms & Back

Options
I have severe osteoarthritis in my right arm, which is also my dominate hand. Under my doctor's orders I was told not to lift more than 5 lbs, which is difficult. I was a cocktail waitress for years and I am use to being able to move freely without limitations. Since my doctor's orders I have noticed that my arms are not only losing strength but getting fatter and no longer have the definition they once had as well as my back. I can not even do a push up without aggravating my arm. If it flares up if often takes weeks to get it to calm down. Can someone please suggest a plan or have an idea of how I can tone up my arms and back without using weights. I have been running almost every other day, using zumba and doing what poses I can with yoga but I know there has to be something else!

Replies

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Can you try boxing? Just go into a squat and punch an imaginary bag (don't actually touch anything) for a minute at a time...Don't clench your fists, just mak a loose fist and use your back and upper arms to throw the punches....
    Other than that, water exercises maybe?
  • shuga_shay
    shuga_shay Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Water exercises? What do you suggest? I do not even know how to swim (sad but true) both my parents were lifeguards and tried to teach me to no avail.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Is there any way you can do body weight exercises? Those would help and don't require extra weight.

You can also use 5 pound weights for arm/back exercises, but in order to fatigue the muscle you'd have to do a lot of reps/sets.

If you have time for that I'd say go for it... but if not, then body weight may be the way to go.
  • shuga_shay
    shuga_shay Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have resistance bands but I have no clue what to do with them. I walk around with them in my purse, so when I get bored at work I have something to do. Can those help? What are some exercises I can do with them?
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I have resistance bands but I have no clue what to do with them. I walk around with them in my purse, so when I get bored at work I have something to do. Can those help? What are some exercises I can do with them?

You can do bicep curls, tri cep extensions... even a chest press if you hook them around something.

I don't have much experience with resistance bands(I use barbells and dumbbells mainly.. plus my body weight) but if you did a google search, I'm sure you'd find exercises.