Sponsor a deployed platoon of soldiers in Afghanistan??

Options
nursevee
nursevee Posts: 344 Member
Hi all, for those that know me "Hi again" for those that don't "Hello!" I'm an ex-military spouse. My husband just recently retired from the U.S Army. As a spouse we try and support as many of those that are deployed as we can but often we rely on many people for as much help as possible to keep our service members well supplied with goodies from home. I might not know you all personally but I'm writing this post to see if I can drum up some support for a platoon of Soldiers who are currently deployed to Afghanistan. My Husband was the ROTC Professor for two of the guys several years ago and they are now the Junior Officers for this Platoon. That means they are pretty close to us and I have just found out that they have landed in an extremely dangerous and remote part of Afghanistan and have none of the 'creature comforts' that some of the other FOB's (Forward Operating Bases) that are dotted around. That means, no PX/BX (Post Exchange - ie: stores) and they are eating MRE's (Not even a mess hall) which are meal rations. They don't even have A/C and I can tell you that must be miserable.

These guys work very hard and I would love to get as many people as I can to send a small care package to say 'THANKS' (if you would like to support them). If you work for an organization that likes to support the military then there are a few larger items they would love but for the most part, candy, baby wipes (they often go out on missions and can't shower regularly), hormel meals, mac and cheese cups, ramen noodles, tuna kits, fruit cups and other items are definately appreciated!!!!

Please let me know if you can help in any way... I have an address and would be so greatful for the help even if I don't know you!

Thanks,

Vee

Replies

• theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I'm in. Where do I send it? How many guys are in the platoon? You're an amazing lady Vee.
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Bumping.

My husband is in Afghanistan right now. Anything I have to send goes to him right now. LOVE your generosity though and I hope that more people will step up and offer to help. It doesn't cost anything more to mail to an APO than it does to a regular stateside address so postage shouldn't be an issue.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Bump. Not related to any living service members. Just a fan of men and women who serve. Organized a package fundraiser at my old office for a friend who was deployed a few years ago. I ended up sending 4 large boxes of items from ladies I worked with. It was an incredible experience! I would love to help out!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    :heart:

You know I'm in! LMK how we can help!
  • snoopytwins
    snoopytwins Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I send care packages every other month through the any soldier program but I wanted to bump your post though.
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • nursevee
    Options
    Thanks for your replies and bumps. I'd love to get a few more interested people... I respect the various programs out there that send care packages and I also give huge props to other military spouses!

Vee
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the same for my husband and his guys who are in that same situation.
  • sblair77
    sblair77 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I'm sure my husband won't mind sharing stuff from his care package with others deployed! Let me know how I can be of help!
  • Fatal1ty2k5
    Fatal1ty2k5 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say that the soldiers really appreciate it when we got these kinds of things when I was in Afghanistan. It can really suck when your out there on a fob living in a mud hut without running water for a year.

Thanks all of yall.
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    I'm in, pass on the info!
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Can you share the address please?
  • nursevee
    Options
    Such a great number of responses! Thanks to my friends here and all you people I don't know! Keep em' coming!

Vee
  • Fatal1ty2k5
    Fatal1ty2k5 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say that the soldiers really appreciate it when we got these kinds of things when I was in Afghanistan. It can really suck when your out there on a fob living in a mud hut without running water for a year.

Thanks all of yall.

To add on to what I said earlier.

No fcking coloring books!!!!!! I can't begin to tell you how many coloring books and crayons we got. I don't know who thinks that a group of young 20's guys want disney coloring books but apparently alot of people do. Howevery yo-yo's and cheap water pistols are awesome for that age group, we had alot of fun with those.

But yea we had tons of coloring books that we used to light our poop barrels on fire.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options

Thanks all of yall.

No fcking coloring books!!!!!! I can't begin to tell you how many coloring books and crayons we got. I don't know who thinks that a group of young 20's guys want disney coloring books but apparently alot of people do. Howevery yo-yo's and cheap water pistols are awesome for that age group, we had alot of fun with those.

But yea we had tons of coloring books that we used to light our poop barrels on fire.

I usually sent board and card games, toys and party supplies (kazoos apparently were a big hit when I sent them a few years ago), and things like envelopes, paper for letters, pens, good deodorant, toothbrushes, etc. I sent out care packages for 8 years during college and a little after until the troops I was sponsoring came home and didn't need them anymore.

OP I think this is a great idea. Please keep us posted on what you find out.
  • nursevee
    Options

Thanks all of yall.

I have never sent coloring books, then again my Husband used to tell me exactly what was wanted/needed when he was there so it wasn't an issue. I did send super soakers a few boxes back and they were well received. This time it's more the necessities. Unlike my Hubby who had a mess hall and a tent with A/C, these guys have none of that (no fans even) so I'm looking to send essentials such as fans, those neck coolers (that you wet), baby wipes, non-perishable food etc etc.
  • nursevee
    Options

Thanks all of yall.

I usually sent board and card games, toys and party supplies (kazoos apparently were a big hit when I sent them a few years ago), and things like envelopes, paper for letters, pens, good deodorant, toothbrushes, etc. I sent out care packages for 8 years during college and a little after until the troops I was sponsoring came home and didn't need them anymore.

OP I think this is a great idea. Please keep us posted on what you find out.

That's all great stuff but for some of these more remote FOB's mail isn't picked up very regularly. They have a satellite phone and one computer so e-mails are more typical. Phone cards are a great idea too but items to keep them cool is a priority. These guys are heading out on missions daily so snacks they can pack quickly and hard candy are really great. I'm looking to get them a mega load of supplies (which is why I posted here), I have 15 boxes ready to ship.
  • Ohmydaze
    Ohmydaze Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I love this idea. I'm not sure if I'll be able to help but I will if I can :)

Eta - although, I'm in England. Shipping could be tricky.
  • nursevee
    Options
    Yes shipping could be a little tricky seeing as it's an American APO address. My Mother tried sending stuff from Australia to my Husband's APO when he was deployed and it got lost, lol. My only suggestion might be to hop online and google American care package sites. You can usually buy a few things and pay and they will ship (I'm not sure if they assemble randomly or if you can specify an address). Alternatively I can take donations through Paypal and send one on your behalf.

Vee
  • ProudArmyWifey8
    Options
    yeaaa im always sending care packages i love to send more :)))

my husband leaves soon :-/ first deployment