"Womanhood is dying at the Olympics" and Sportsbras

Options
rchupka87
rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
I follow Jenna Mourey on Facebook. I personally, find her hilarious. She puts out new video blogs every Wednesday. Her video this week literally made me laugh out loud. The topic this week was an article published by a Turkish coloumnist. Instead of trying to describe the article, I have just copied and pasted it.... Or at least the part that was ABOUT the original article. The original article was written in Turkish, and I can not find a copy of it in English. LOL

So....

Turkish columnist Yüksel Aytuğ caused an online firestorm on Aug. 8 after penning an article that criticized the Olympic Games for "killing womanhood."

Aytuğ's piece, titled "Womanhood is dying at the Olympics," was published in daily Sabah and the paper's website but quickly spread after angering readers by saying the Olympic Games were destroying the female figure by distorting women's bodies and that points should be added to female Olympians based on how feminine they looked.

Aytuğ said women's associations should protest the Games and added that it was enough for him to "take a look at female swimmers" to reach that opinion.
"Broad-shouldered, flat-chested women with small hips; [they are] totally indistinguishable from men. Their breasts – the symbol of womanhood, motherhood – flattened into stubs as they were seen as mere hindrances to speed," Aytuğ said.

"I am not even talking about female javelin throwers, shot-put athletes, weightlifters, wrestlers and boxers," Aytuğ said. “Their appearance is just pathetic.”

Aytuğ said the Olympics forced women to "look more like men" in order to be successful and wrote about an ongoing "sporting violence against women," while criticizing what he called an understanding of "the manlier you look the more successful you are."

The columnist concluded by saying that female Olympians should be rewarded with additional bonus points based on how "feminine" they looked. "Otherwise we will destroy the grace and naïveté of women through the Olympics," he concluded.

ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?!?!?! :mad: :angry: :explode: :grumble:

Enter my favorite "Vlogger" Jenna Mourey. The link below will take you to her video from this week, and her response.

Fair warning - she has a FOUL mouth (which I do too) but if the F bomb isn't your favorite word, you might want to stay away.

http://youtu.be/Ag4C0MFRnmE

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I'm just speechless. I have to take into account that the original author is very likely a chauvinist and raised that way but this line in particular irks me: "Otherwise we will destroy the grace and naïveté of women through the Olympics,". Since when does how a woman looks have anything to do with her "naïveté"? Being athletic makes her more worldly and sophisticated and LESS graceful?
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    well, i think the good news is the overwhelming public is criticizing this guy for being shortsighted, and overall, naive.

as a side note:
    i saw that video of Jenna's. She said "apparently men don't know how sports bras work."

my question is, as a man, how would i know?
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I too saw the video, and i want to know as a woman, how the hell can i shrink my boobs as mush as she does?
    Even with a sports bra they're still the same size
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to get home and watch this! (I can't watch videos at work)
  • rchupka87
    Options
    Do you have a girlfriend? A wife? Ever seen her in her everyday bra, then put a sportsbra on? Notice a difference? Pay attention next time...

It can take you from a D cup, to what looks like an A cup.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    well, i think the good news is the overwhelming public is criticizing this guy for being shortsighted, and overall, naive.

as a side note:
    i saw that video of Jenna's. She said "apparently men don't know how sports bras work."

I think you can make a good guess, though, right? The two words say it all: it's a bra you wear while doing sports. It's purpose and the resulting change to a woman's silhouette should be fairly obvious if one thinks about it for more than 2 seconds.
  • rchupka87
    Options
    I too saw the video, and i want to know as a woman, how the hell can i shrink my boobs as mush as she does?
    Even with a sports bra they're still the same size

One word: Spandex. :smile:
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    McKaylaJournalist.jpg?t=1344535372
  • wolverine66
    Options

as a side note:

I think you can make a good guess, though, right? The two words say it all: it's a bra you wear while doing sports. It's purpose and the resulting change to a woman's silhouette should be fairly obvious if one thinks about it for more than 2 seconds.

i think there's a difference between seeing and recognizing that they work (i can tell they work) and being able to tell "how" something works. I assumed they just smooshed everything, but honesty, I never gave it a thought as to how. But when she says that it makes me think that there is more to it. is there? i don't know, nor would i. that's what i am saying.

i can tell the Mars rover "Curiosity" works, but couldn't tell you exactly how.
  • wolverine66
    Options
    Do you have a girlfriend? A wife? Ever seen her in her everyday bra, then put a sportsbra on? Notice a difference? Pay attention next time...

is this addressed to me?

again. i can tell that they work.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

Pshaw!!! I wish... otherwise I would be harnessing these DD puppies up with a sportsbra every day... the only difference a sports bra makes is making them "less bouncy" which usually involves mashing two boobs into one.... But with all that said, forget the sports bras, I'm guessing the guy doesn't know how hormones work and how exercise can effect it... And tell a gymnast she has no grace... or a syncronized swimmer... or heck, any woman athlete... grace has nothing to do with athletic ability and everything to do with how you carry yourself.
  • Shizzman
    Shizzman Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    It might also just do with the body shapes that do better at sports....
  • rchupka87
    Options

Pshaw!!! I wish... otherwise I would be harnessing these DD puppies up with a sportsbra every day... the only difference a sports bra makes is making them "less bouncy" which usually involves mashing two boobs into one.... But with all that said, forget the sports bras, I'm guessing the guy doesn't know how hormones work and how exercise can effect it... And tell a gymnast she has no grace... or a syncronized swimmer... or heck, any woman athlete... grace has nothing to do with athletic ability and everything to do with how you carry yourself.

It does mine!!! I am a D, and they disappear in a sports bra! I can actually get away with a M shirt when I usually have to wear an XL.....
  • lifechange12
    lifechange12 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • Fatal1ty2k5
    Fatal1ty2k5 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Hahahahaa
  • LaurySch
    LaurySch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I didn't get a chance to read the blog, but I can guess what it's saying. I do, however, appreciate that someone actually DOES appreciate the difference between women and men - even if he is Turkish and probably has a viewpoint that differs culturally from North American men. I have no problem with women who train themselves into super athletic shape and if their boobs and butts disappear then I believe they still make an effort to make themselves look more 'feminine' if they want when they are not in speedos or weightlifting spandex. What pisses me off is when the ever present "THEY" (who say everything) makes it seem like that well-trained, highly specialized athletic body is supposed to be the norm (or the stereotypical anorexic body, or the stereotypical curvy body - just watch any fricking Dove commercial). It's time to start realizing that we all have different body types and none of them are perfect but they can all be attractive to someone.

That said, my DD's hate being the uniboob in a sports bra, but there is no other way to run without hurting my chin or knees from the bouncing.