WHY DO PEOPLE EAT BACK THEIR EXERCISE CALS?!

Options

Replies

• supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I don't eat 'back' my exercise calories, I plan for them in my day. I know how much I'm going to exercise during any given day so I plan my meals accordingly. I eat 600 or so of my exercise calories (I work out around 1300 cals a day). I've been losing 2 pounds or more each week doing so. I feel great and have the energy to live my life; to exercise. This is what works for me.

But I do remember feeling skeptical about it.
  • hikergrl17
    Options
    I had the same question, and was super confused. I was getting the same response that you are getting, but it still didn't make sense to me. I saw a nutritionist, and she explained it this way...maybe it'll help you because it helped me. You need to find your BMR and add your exercise to that. Subtract what you've eaten for the day from the sum of your BMR and exercise; the difference should be about 300-500. Yes, the weight loss will be slower, but she said it's easier to maintain for life. If you wanted to lose 2 lbs a week, then I guess the difference should be around 700.

So here's an example of how I do it. My BMR is 1350, and one day I worked out and burned 1030 calories. So 1350+1030 = 2380. I ate 1630 calories so I do 2380-1630 which gives me a deficit of 750 for the day. It's worked for me so far. The main thing I was concerned about was putting my body into starvation mode which is the last thing I want to do. So her explanation has worked for me. Hope it makes sense!

Thanks MaeMae - that helps ME understand it better
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Because they are much tastier than the other kind of calories.
  • bubbab666
    Options

NOT TRUE, you won't start using muscle until your below 6% body fat.

You are misinformed. LBM can be lost at ANY bf% .
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I had the same question, and was super confused. I was getting the same response that you are getting, but it still didn't make sense to me. I saw a nutritionist, and she explained it this way...maybe it'll help you because it helped me. You need to find your BMR and add your exercise to that. Subtract what you've eaten for the day from the sum of your BMR and exercise; the difference should be about 300-500. Yes, the weight loss will be slower, but she said it's easier to maintain for life. If you wanted to lose 2 lbs a week, then I guess the difference should be around 700.

So here's an example of how I do it. My BMR is 1350, and one day I worked out and burned 1030 calories. So 1350+1030 = 2380. I ate 1630 calories so I do 2380-1630 which gives me a deficit of 750 for the day. It's worked for me so far. The main thing I was concerned about was putting my body into starvation mode which is the last thing I want to do. So her explanation has worked for me. Hope it makes sense!

Thanks MaeMae - that helps ME understand it better

Your BMR isn't your TDEE.

BMR = what your body needs just to stay alive and maintain your weight. IE, if you were in a coma and on a feeding tube.

TDEE = your BMR plus all the extra calories your body burns not just through exercise, but also by being awake and active. As soon as you get up in the morning and stagger off to the bathroom, you're burning more than your BMR.

My BMR is about 1250, but my TDEE is between 1900-2400, depending on how active I am that day.

So if you're subtracting your deficit from your BMR, it's actually way bigger than the example given, probably at least an extra 500 calories more.
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I concluded MFPs system is flawes and ripe to create confusion and unhealthy eating patterns. Ive not seen one other tracker system nor calorie formula that works this way. And Ive done them. Most base your defeceit on your current fitness level and activity. Some you even have to account for current bodyfat% before it'll give you a deficit.
    But the forums are to did for! Love it!
  • sheclimber
    sheclimber Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I workout so I can build muscle and endurance. I eat back those calories so I have the energy to work out.

Plus, I love to eat so if I start to feel deprived, I will fall off track.

^^^ This!

I burned over 1400 calories yesterday on a bike ride, which was only a 1/3 of the distance of my goal ride in just over a month. If I want to be able to accomplish my goal I need the fuel and energy to get there. Assuming I only ate my 1200 calories alloted yesterday after my ride, I'd have a deficit that would barely allow me to get out of bed today, much less function or think straight. Not to mention allow my muscles to recover so I can got out and go longer and harder tomorrow. I don't eat all of them back - I don't know that I physically could unless I gorged on total crap, as I'd still like to lose about 10 more pounds. Food is fuel, you've got to fill your tank if you want to keep going.
  • apocalypsepwnie
    Options
    I eat some of mine back if I need them. But if I'm not hungry or hurting I wont bother. I play roller derby but I haven't factored that into my 'daily' activity. I'd rather put it in when I do it based on the training sessions as they can be vastly different.
    The reason I eat them back when I need to, and I got this advice from or league's PT...
    It's much like the car. If it's running properly then it has the energy to devote to burning fuel properly. How can you expect it to do things right when it hasn't got enough to run on? It's like peddling a bike with one foot. Yeah, you'll get there but at what expense?
    Yep, don't eat them back. It works for you but others it works better to support their metabolisms and basic bodily functions.
    I've got mine set to lose 1 pound/week just sitting on my bum bum at work. I get 1880!! I was so stoked with that. Considering I can burn up to 1300 in a session.
    Also, consider how much water you drink if you aren't losing. You need 33ml/kg of weight you currently are plus 1L for every hour of moderate exercise you do. I have upped my intake (I was standard 2L/day) to 3L at the minimum and on derby days I'll go up to 5-6. It doesn't just 'flush' you out but if your kidneys aren't working properly from dehydration, your liver takes the slack. If your liver is doing that it isn't processing fat as it should. DRINK AND PEE!! You will lose easier.
  • grandmaM05
    grandmaM05 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    That Military ratio chart and info really helpe me understand more.
    Thanks so much for posting that site.

www.fat2fitradio.com/tools
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    I think the solution to this endless debate would be for MFP to work out a clear flaw in its system.

I don't think there's a flaw in the MFP system, I think there's a flaw in the way people think about their bodies. And if people continue to eat/live that way, they will die out, leaving the smarter, healtheir, eatinger segment of the population to thrive.

So smarter, heathlier people eat back their exercise calories? Is that the point you are trying to make. Sounds like the only flawed mindset is yours since you think it should apply to all. I believe in different strokes for different folks. Me choosing not to eat back my exercise calories unless I'm hungry does not stop you from doing it or hinder your journey in anyway.

And yes, I think not factoring in workout regimens seems like a flaw to me. Fitday, sparkpeople and weightwatchers all factors in fitness level. MFP does not. I only left Fitday for MFP because there was a group for Jillian Michaels Body Revolution. The fact that this debate isn't raging on in other sites, but is a weekly topic is an indicator that their is a kink in the MFP system.

No offense but looking at your join date and your ticker maybe its what you need to lose the weight.
    If thats your goal.

Going by previous posts you workout almost every day and you under eat.
    Its no shocker that you've lost almost nothing.
    Then you debate the reasons why?

1) You under eat creating stress
    2) you workout every day creating more stress
    3) you almost never have a chance to recover from your workouts

I'll explain:
    Food = recovery.

People who workout every day and eat right and get the proper sleep will recover faster than people who dont.

You eat too little food for recovery.
    Then you do the same thing the next day.
    And the day after that.

If you were to eat the proper amount of nutrients daily and workout 3-4x a week giving proper time for rest and recovery, you will see better results.
    Thats why I said guarantee.

And JM 30DS isnt a true resistance program so you wont get the proper training from it and you wont break the insulin resistance

You have 2 main culprits from your condition:

1) Hormones. You eat better and youll regulate most of these BTW.
    2) insulin resistance. You break this by periodically fasting and resistance training.

Stop arguing over something that you cant even make work for yourself.
  • Savemyshannon
    Savemyshannon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    And yes, I think not factoring in workout regimens seems like a flaw to me. Fitday, sparkpeople and weightwatchers all factors in fitness level. MFP does not. I only left Fitday for MFP because there was a group for Jillian Michaels Body Revolution. The fact that this debate isn't raging on in other sites, but is a weekly topic is an indicator that their is a kink in the MFP system.

I don't think it's a flaw at all and is actually one of my favorite parts of the MFP system. The flaw is the people coming from other sites and using Sparkpeople's (or what have you) process on MFP. Just because 7 other sites do it one way means nothing. MFP explicitly spells out the instructions when you create your profile. If people don't want to adhere to those instructions, that's their prerogative, but it's not MFP's fault. And MFP is not the only diet program to do it. WW has active points. Fitbit has a daily "zone" that can increase or decrease based on how much you've moved that day. And no, YOU doing it one way does not stop or hinder the rest of us, but all of these, "omg I don't get it you all are so stupid" threads are getting redundant because if you don't like the process then FIND ANOTHER PROCESS. But don't bang on the people who follow the program the way it's meant to be followed.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    When I was young, the way to teach a dog to sit was to push on his *kitten* until he sat, then tell him he's good.

When I took an obedience class with my dog about 6 years ago, the instructor taught us to hold the treat in front of his nose and move it in an upward movement until he sat, then clicked the clicker, give him the treat, and praise him. And that same clicker training worked well to teach him other commands, so now I have a dog who gives high fives, plays dead, sings on command and a slew of other tricks.

It was different than past forms of training, and it worked amazingly well. Just because it wasn't like other training plans didn't mean there was a flaw in the system.

Similarly, when I was younger, the way to lose weight was "eat less, move more." That, coupled with the popular "no pain, no gain" made me think that losing weight was supposed to be uncomfortable. So naturally, I thought the less I ate and the more I moved, the better it would be, no matter how much it sucked. Since finding MFP, I found the balance. It was different than past forms of "dieting," and it worked amazingly well.

In a way, it's a lot like the positive reinforcement of clicker training the dog. The better I am at sticking to my exercise routine, the more I can eat!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    I wish my brain could function on MFPs thinking.
    Its one of the reasons I created the Road Map.
    You get 1 number and you eat it daily without fussing with eating back.
    It still ends up being about the same amount as if you did it MFPs way, but you dont have to obsess over it.

I think the ultimate point of it is to get the proper nutrition every day.
    Give fat a reason not to exist.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    When I was young, the way to teach a dog to sit was to push on his *kitten* until he sat, then tell him he's good.

When I took an obedience class with my dog about 6 years ago, the instructor taught us to hold the treat in front of his nose and move it in an upward movement until he sat, then clicked the clicker, give him the treat, and praise him. And that same clicker training worked well to teach him other commands, so now I have a dog who gives high fives, plays dead, sings on command and a slew of other tricks.

It was different than past forms of training, and it worked amazingly well. Just because it wasn't like other training plans didn't mean there was a flaw in the system.

Similarly, when I was younger, the way to lose weight was "eat less, move more." That, coupled with the popular "no pain, no gain" made me think that losing weight was supposed to be uncomfortable. So naturally, I thought the less I ate and the more I moved, the better it would be, no matter how much it sucked. Since finding MFP, I found the balance. It was different than past forms of "dieting," and it worked amazingly well.

In a way, it's a lot like the positive reinforcement of clicker training the dog. The better I am at sticking to my exercise routine, the more I can eat!

Excellent explanation. This is absolutely correct. I am a 54 year old woman and all my life I was dieting by starving myself and exercising. When I finally decided that I had had enough of yo yoing up and down, I came to this site. I now understand that I have probably messed up my body to the point that I will have to work very hard to make sure it is getting the nutrients that it needs to work for me efficiently. I eat at 30% below my TDEE. As I get my weight down more that will adjust to 20% below. I was killing myself doing cardio every day of the week for an hour at a time. I now do cardio about 3 -4 times a week and have added strength training. I continue to lose weight and I am astounded. This is not what I learned about losing weight.

So do you want to eat your exercise calories back? That's entirely up to you. But, at a severe calorie deficit, you wll lose weight like crazy. And when you are at your goal? You will be eating normally and your body will gain it all back. Then you will start again. You will be me. A 54 year old that is finally learning to do things the right way. Up to you.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I wish my brain could function on MFPs thinking.
    Its one of the reasons I created the Road Map.
    You get 1 number and you eat it daily without fussing with eating back.
    It still ends up being about the same amount as if you did it MFPs way, but you dont have to obsess over it.

I think the ultimate point of it is to get the proper nutrition every day.
    Give fat a reason not to exist.

And I'll add one more thing. This is the way I'm functioning now. I never have to obsess over calories. THey are the same every day. And this person above is the reason I am doing so well now. Thanks Dan. " There are none so blind as those that will not see." You can only put it out there. :flowerforyou:
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options

I don't think it's a flaw at all and is actually one of my favorite parts of the MFP system. The flaw is the people coming from other sites and using Sparkpeople's (or what have you) process on MFP. Just because 7 other sites do it one way means nothing. MFP explicitly spells out the instructions when you create your profile. If people don't want to adhere to those instructions, that's their prerogative, but it's not MFP's fault. And MFP is not the only diet program to do it. WW has active points. Fitbit has a daily "zone" that can increase or decrease based on how much you've moved that day. And no, YOU doing it one way does not stop or hinder the rest of us, but all of these, "omg I don't get it you all are so stupid" threads are getting redundant because if you don't like the process then FIND ANOTHER PROCESS. But don't bang on the people who follow the program the way it's meant to be followed.

So why is there this huge confusion and thread after thread about this topic? Why are so many people on of different heights, weights, body compositions, and goals are on the same 1200 deficit out of the gate? I have never in my life in thought this was an issue and never experienced it in any system, not even WWs until coming to this site. Something is missing. Some much debate and confusion.
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Everyone thinks only MFP adds exercise calories to your daily calorie goal. I joined Jillianmichaels.com for the 30 day free trial and after entering in my excercise it adds the calories burned to my daily calories allowance.
    So there is another site doing that. Her site is okay, i don't really like the layout and stuff for it. There is a meal plan you can use and swap meals around which is kinda neat which i may use for new meal ideas before my 30 days is up. I wouldn't pay $4 a week for access though.
    Anyhow, people eat their excercise cals back because the deficit is already built into MFP. i don't eat mine back often because I'm only set to 0.8 lb per week loss to begin with so my deficit is small, it gets bigger from my exercise which is the way I like it.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I think the solution to this endless debate would be for MFP to work out a clear flaw in its system.

I don't think there's a flaw in the MFP system, I think there's a flaw in the way people think about their bodies. And if people continue to eat/live that way, they will die out, leaving the smarter, healtheir, eatinger segment of the population to thrive.

So smarter, heathlier people eat back their exercise calories? Is that the point you are trying to make. Sounds like the only flawed mindset is yours since you think it should apply to all. I believe in different strokes for different folks. Me choosing not to eat back my exercise calories unless I'm hungry does not stop you from doing it or hinder your journey in anyway.

Agreed. I only see questions like this on MFP..
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    1. Because being so cranky from hunger that not even your family wants to be around you is a bad thing.

2. Because passing out on the treadmill at the gym causes a ruckus.

3. Because brain fog at work can get you fired.

4. Because a constantly gurgling tummy is rude.

5. Because MFP can be set to sedentary and if you're not sedentary the calculation of 1200 calories a day doesn't apply to you.

With all that being said, a new study shows HRMs, even good ones, can be wildly innaccurate, especially for women, so a little cushion with those exercise calories that you don't eat back might be okay.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options

So why is there this huge confusion and thread after thread about this topic? Why are so many people on of different heights, weights, body compositions, and goals are on the same 1200 deficit out of the gate? I have never in my life in thought this was an issue and never experienced it in any system, not even WWs until coming to this site. Something is missing. Some much debate and confusion.

Indeed. I am using another sites calculation of my deficit. MFP is way too confusing and so is the debate around eating back calories.