Phobia of eating in front of others

Options
After another discussion on here I got to thinking about my phobia of eating in front of others and wondered if there was anyone else who had this??

Ever since i was a child i have hated it. Even eating in front of family and friends feels me with dread and fear let alone in front of strangers and for years i refused to do so.

I have got better as i have got older for instance I can eat at my desk in work now in front of my work mates as i have known them for 10 years but if someone from outside my office eg a secretary of lawyer comes in I freeze and have to put my food to one side until they are gone. I have often been known to eat in a cupboard or even in the shower room if someone whom i'm not comfortable with does not leave the room for ages :blushing:

I hate eating in restaurants and if i am convinced to eat out I have to have a few drinks first to relax. Weddings and parties are the worst as there are usually lots and lots of people and i flatly refuse to eat at these events. I would rather starve all day than eat.

I get really embarassed when people even talk about food and get almost angry if they ask me if i'm enjoying what i'm eating. i guess i feel that food should be a private personal thing..... Does anyone else feel this way or am i the only freak lol :blushing:

Replies

• spells1977
    spells1977 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    bump :)
  • MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    You're not alone! I HATE eating in front of others. I struggled much more when I was younger but I still struggle quite a bit today. I hate family gatherings that revolve around food....I'm not sure if ill every overcome my fear but hopefully we can both get better with it :)
  • spells1977
    spells1977 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    So happy i'm not alone :)

I too hate family gatherings as my family love their food and it's all they talk about etc and it's all they do!

I feel like it holds me back so much and stresses me out so hopefully we can get better in the future :smile: