Shin splints???

Options
Anyone know of any good remedies for shin splints? I don't wanna quit running, it's my main calorie burn source!

Replies

• cgriggs99
    Options
    If you have shin splints you should stop running for a few weeks, if you try to push through them you could end up with stress fractures or worse. Trust me on that one. Try another low impact form of exercise like the olliptical machine or swimming for a few weeks but in the mean time try the below...

Stretching is the best way to help prevent shin splints. While sitting on the floor with your legs stretched out in front of you point your toes and stretch down. This is like a sitting hamstring stretch but because your toes are pointed and not flexed up you should feel the stretch on the top of your shins instead of your calfs. It is also very important to stretch your calves properly too.

Another exercise is to pick up small items with your bare feet. Also, icing your shins should help. Take paper dixie cups and fill 3/4 with water and freeze, once frozen peel back the cup and rub the ice up and down on your shins for 10 minutes.

Hope this helps :)
  • JackShow70
    Options
    Running induces such wear and tear... Might want to find alternatives for the long run (pun intended)..

But in the meantime.. from WebMD ... :)

What's the Treatment for Shin Splints?

Although shin splints may be caused by different problems, treatment is usually the same: Rest your body so the underlying issue heals. Here are some other things to try:

Icing the shin to reduce pain and swelling. Do it for 20-30 minutes every three to four hours for two to three days, or until the pain is gone.
    Anti-inflammatory painkillers. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), like ibuprofen, naproxen, or aspirin, will help with pain and swelling. However, these drugs can have side effects, like an increased risk of bleeding and ulcers. They should be used only occasionally unless your doctor specifically says otherwise.
    Arch supports for your shoes. These orthotics -- which can be custom-made or bought off the shelf -- may help with flat feet.
    Range of motion exercises, if your doctor recommends them.
    Neoprene sleeve to support and warm the leg.
    Physical therapy to strengthen the muscles in your shins.How Can I Prevent Shin Splints?

To prevent shin splints, you should:

Always wear shoes with good support and padding.
    Warm up before working out, making sure to stretch the muscles in your legs.
    Stop working out as soon as you feel pain in your shins.
    Don't run or play on hard surfaces like concrete.
  • shatteredsmile
    Options
    I don't know if they are full blown shin splints, just some strain in my shins when I run long distances. It goes away the next day (I run every other day) but always come back about half way into my run. I'll try stretching more thoroughly.
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Give it a couple of days, stretch everyday (hamstrings, glutes, lower back, quads -- can cause tightening in your lower legs), and take it easy on your next run. Sounds like it's not full-blown shin splints so you should be able to back off a little and remedy the situation.
  • cgriggs99
    Options
    And if you are running on pavement try to move to the grass or dirt whenever possible...this will help cut down on the impact. If you have a treadmill and you can stand it (I can't I get too bored especially running more than 6 miles) this will also cut down on the pounding. If you try to increase your mileage too quickly this will also cause shin splints. You should not increase your weekly mileage by more than 10%.
  • Bailey543
    Bailey543 Posts: 375
    Options
    Stop running until they're completely gone. Then, get a good pair of running shoes (go to a store that will watch you run/walk and tell you what kind you need) and re-start SLOWLY. I tried again and agin to run and kept getting them until I followed this advice. Now I run almost every day and have no splints. Also, if you can, run on a track. I use our local high school track.

Until then, ice, ibuprofin and stretch....write the abc's with your toes...weird, but works!
  • Bailey543
    Bailey543 Posts: 375
    Options
    This, but add some bengay or icy hot to the water...feels soooo good!!

Another exercise is to pick up small items with your bare feet. Also, icing your shins should help. Take paper dixie cups and fill 3/4 with water and freeze, once frozen peel back the cup and rub the ice up and down on your shins for 10 minutes.

Hope this helps :)
  • AmIhealthyyet
    AmIhealthyyet Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Go online and find some examples of exercises that build the muscles along your tibia! They are weaker than your gastro and soleus (calf) muscles and feel a strain when they can't keep up with a work out. Are calf muscles developed faster than these small muscles. Slow down your running speed too!