healthy breakfast recipes?

Options
sugboog29
sugboog29 Posts: 630 Member
My kids and grandkids are coming to visit next week and I am looking for healthy breakfasts to fix. Anyone have a great recipe to share?

Thanks! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Tlopez428
    Tlopez428 Posts: 115
    Options
    My kids enjoy low fat yogurt with banana and strawberries, with a little granola on top.

You could even make egg and cheese burritos with whole wheat tortillas.

Or if they like oatmeal (my daughter loves oatmeal!) you could make plain oatmeal, add some cinnamon and tiny pieces of apple with a little bit of sugar to sweeten it. It's better to make your own oatmeal instead of instant oatmeal because they add so much sugar and salt to it.

I have a recipe for muffin omelletts:

Crack an egg in each cup, swirl a fork around to mix the yolk, add some salt, pepper, shredded cheese, bacon bits, chopped onions, peppers or anything else you like in your omlet. Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes till the middles don’t jiggle when you shake the pan.

You can also crack the egg, add salt and pepper and bake without scrambling the egg. Plus they don’t seem to stick to the pan as much this way.

Pop ‘em out and either freeze them for later or put them on a biscuit to eat on the go!

And a recipe for pancake muffins too:

Just make pancake mix as on box.
    Pour batter into greased muffin pan
    Bake at 350 for about 15 mins or until done.
  • Tlopez428
    Tlopez428 Posts: 115
    Options
    No bake granola bars:

2-1/2cups crisp rice cereal1-1/2cups quick-cooking oats1cup PLANTERS NUT•rition™ Antioxidant Mix3/4cup PLANTERS Creamy Peanut Butter1/2cup honey1/4cup packed dark brown sugarMake It
    LINE 13x9-inch pan with foil, with ends of foil extending over sides.

COMBINE first 3 ingredients in large bowl.

MICROWAVE remaining ingredients in microwaveable bowl on HIGH 1 min.; stir. Add to cereal mixture; mix well. Press onto bottom of prepared pan.

COOL 30 min. Remove from pan before cutting into bars.
  • sugboog29
    Options
    OOO thanks for all the great ideas!! My grands will love some of them!! :wink:
  • Jenny_Lou20
    Jenny_Lou20 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I eat egg whites, turkey sausage crumbles(the fully cooked kind by Jimmy Dean), and fat free cheddar cheese. I cook the egg whites, and then add in the sausage and cheese till its all melty and warm.

Then I serve it on toast with a little butter. Its really really good and very low cal!
  • jzsor12
    jzsor12 Posts: 69
    Options
    scambled eggs, give them the yolks you have the egg whites :D
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    low calorie muffins (search for oatmeal or banana ones)
    fresh fruit
    oats / oatmeal (VERY filling!)
    low cal cinnamon pancakes
    yogurt
    scrambled tofu or scrambled eggs
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    My brother's kids LOVE sunny side up eggs with whole wheat toast. They call them sunshine eggs.

They're also big on smoothies and fruit and yogurt. You could also try whole wheat pancakes
  • xoyasminxo
    xoyasminxo Posts: 132
    Options
    2 Tbsp coconut oil
    1/4-1/3 c old fashion oats
    1 or 2 eggs
    salt and pepper (opt)

Heat coconut oil on med low heat. Add oats and stir. Cook until oats start to turn golden. Add egg(s) to top of oats. Serve over easy, or scramble eggs with oats...SO GOOD!
  • LaNena01
    LaNena01 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Csitri
    Csitri Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cvitez1
    cvitez1 Posts: 39
    Options
    I made these Oatmeal banana muffins the other day and they were great! I definitely plan I making a batch in the beginning of the week and using them as an on-the-go snack. http://travisjessjones.blogspot.com/2012/03/banana-oatmeal-muffins.html

Egg white omelets are also a great choice. Add some Parmesan cheese, chopped red petter, spinach, onion, and pepper.
  • Lazygal53
    Lazygal53 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    bump
  • aquitania
    aquitania Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I usually eat rolled oats with flax seeds, cottage cheese, apple sauce, and some fruit, depending on the season. Now i put some berries if i have some, or peaches, or melon, and even watermelon. You can also put strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, or whatever you like. It's easy to make, it's very tasty and it does fill one up!

:-)
  • Mcmilligen
    Mcmilligen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Dee_84
    Dee_84 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I recommend those Blueberry-Muffins. They are really moist and very yummy. My guest gobbled them up in no time!

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
    1/2 cup white sugar
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    2/3 cup plain non-fat yogurt
    1 egg
    1/3 cup milk (I used "So delicious Coconut milk Vanilla")
    1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
    2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries

1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease 12 muffin cups, or line with paper liners. Whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and powder in a large bowl.
    2. Whisk yogurt, egg, milk, vanilla extract and applesauce together in a separate bowl until smooth, and stir the liquid ingredients into the flour mixture until moistened. Lightly stir in the blueberries. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling them 2/3 full.
    3. Bake muffins in the preheated oven until they rise and the tops are golden brown, about 20 minutes. A toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin should come out clean.

With the ingredients I used each muffin has 110 calories, 22g carbs, 2g fiber, 1g fat and 3g protein.

ENJOY!
  • jillby10
    jillby10 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Where do u find turkey sausage crumbles? Refrig or freezer section? What store?
  • sugboog29
    Options
    Where do u find turkey sausage crumbles? Refrig or freezer section? What store?

I buy Jimmy Dean turkey sausage crumbles at either Kroger or Wal-Mart (what I have in my area). In the refrigerated section with the other sausage products. I love em!
  • jillby10
    jillby10 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Great thanks!!