Is jogging in place a good workout if intense?

Options
Sometimes if it's too hot outside to run, I'll do HIIT with 1 minute of jogging/jumping in place and 30 seconds of intense jumping jacks or high knees, and repeat for 20 minutes total. Is this a good workout? My heart rate normally averages about 180 while doing this. I'm an 18 year old girl, 5'3, and 130 pounds if this helps any.

Replies

• filming_ghosts
    Options
    bump!
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I don't see why not. Cardio is cardio, regardless o how you go about it.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
  • LifestyleChange33
    LifestyleChange33 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Any not-unhealthy activity that gets your heart rate up and uses muscles is a good workout in my opinion! :flowerforyou:
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Sometimes if it's too hot outside to run, I'll do HIIT with 1 minute of jogging/jumping in place and 30 seconds of intense jumping jacks or high knees, and repeat for 20 minutes total. Is this a good workout? My heart rate normally averages about 180 while doing this. I'm an 18 year old girl, 5'3, and 130 pounds if this helps any.

Sure, it's not about the activity, it's about the workout your heart and body get.

The only difference the activity makes is if it injuries you to get that high effort, compared to something else. Or it's so hard on the body it knocks you out of your routine for 3 days, as opposed to the one day of recovery you need for proper HIIT repair.
  • MiCool90
    MiCool90 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Jogging in place is actually a VERY good exercise... its good cardio and the lifting of your legs and knees upwards does well on your core muscles... i have seen lots of progress with this exercise with people with a decent amount of weight to lose
  • kellygirl324
    kellygirl324 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Ive lost 11 pounds from jogging in place-but I do lots of it! I weigh again on the 23rd!
  • Sarasari
    Sarasari Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Jogging in place is on the excercise list.Good for you for moving.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i jog in place all the time.
  • LiviLou2011
    LiviLou2011 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Ive lost 11 pounds from jogging in place-but I do lots of it! I weigh again on the 23rd!

how long do you jog in place? i wanna try this!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    That has been my primary cardio for three weeks, and I've lost 28 pounds, 4 inches from my waist and 2 from my hips, also three inches from my thighs and two from my calves. So um, yeah. Jogging in place kicks *kitten*, imo. :bigsmile:
  • Poorgirls_Diet
    Poorgirls_Diet Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    That has been my primary cardio for three weeks, and I've lost 28 pounds, 4 inches from my waist and 2 from my hips, also three inches from my thighs and two from my calves. So um, yeah. Jogging in place kicks *kitten*, imo. :bigsmile:

Wow Wendy I am going to try this out tomorrow hun. So do you really swing your arms and lift your knees high while doing it?
  • filming_ghosts
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback guys. :) And congrats to you who lost weight with it, that's awesome! I think I'll definitely be keeping it in my routine. ^^