I am not sure how to consume all my calories?????

Options
2»

Replies

• toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    When I first started on my weight loss journey I didn't try to eat all my exercise calories, just enough so i didn't feel weak and tired. by not eating all my exercise calories, I allowed for the possibility that I was overestimating my exercise calories or underestimating my calories consumed.

Not eating all my exercise calories worked for me.:bigsmile:

All summer I ate my exercise calories, and I stayed the exact same. I stopped eating my exercise calories (sometimes I eat SOME of them) and the pounds started coming off again. You'll find what works for you, your body will tell you.
  • Timothy2000
    Options
    I try to eat at least half of my exercise calories, but for my my normal meal plan normally consist of more carbs in the morning I normally have oatmeal, eggbeaters, whole grain english muffin with strawberry perserves on it and a glass of soy milk an orange mid morning for a snack, turkey sandwich and a salad for lunch an apple mid afternoon, then something lean for dinner fish, chicken, shrimp a salad some veggies and some form of starch. before I head to bed I normally have a smoothie.
  • aubrielle84
    Options
    I want to add, that even though my workouts seem long and hard I feel great and am not at all exhausted, in fact I actually feel like I can do more workouts, but stop myself...At my weight of 285, I think that it is wonderful someone my size can handle this amount of workouts and still take care of a hyper autistic 6 yr old Son all day. I really appreciate everyone's help and Suggestions and I know this will help me and my Sister Bethany (my workout buddy who also uses MFP) for our future life style improvements :)
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I want to add, that even though my workouts seem long and hard I feel great and am not at all exhausted, in fact I actually feel like I can do more workouts, but stop myself...At my weight of 285, I think that it is wonderful someone my size can handle this amount of workouts and still take care of a hyper autistic 6 yr old Son all day. I really appreciate everyone's help and Suggestions and I know this will help me and my Sister Bethany (my workout buddy who also uses MFP) for our future life style improvements :)

I should a person should be tired after their workout- at least 3 times a week. :smile:
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Hi. :) Being Aubrielle's work out buddy, I can say that she's actually (if not burning 1300) burning CLOSE to that amount.
    You can't possibly know how many calories she is burning unless you are a human HRM. :laugh: I never said she wasn't working hard. I just questioned her numbers because they were very high for the sorts of exercises she is going and she said she got them from MFP and I know that MFP over-estimates for most people.

Besides, even HRM use formulas so it's still an estimate. It's close, but it can be off by as much as 10% and some HRMs are more accurate than others.

The treadmills, btw, do NOT use HR in their formulas. They are using a straight body weight x minutes worked formula. Some also factor in age, but most of them don't even ask for your age.

When I got a HRM, I found that the machines over-estimated my calories burned for everything I did except running (where they under-estimated until I got fitter). You can't go by them. MFP doesn't ask for your average HR when it calculates your exercise calories, so you can't go by that either. (MFP also over-estimated all my calories burned except for running compared to my HRM.)
    I'm sure you can agree with me on the fact that putting your body into starvation mode by not eating a certain amount of calories per day, is NOT good for your diet.
    No, I can't agree with that at all. Starvation mode is a myth.

http://fattyfightsback.blogspot.com/2009/03/mtyhbusters-starvation-mode.html

I never ate my exercise calories during my weight loss phase. There is nothing wrong with eating some or even all of them, but there is a risk of eating too much and stalling out your weight loss if you over-estimate your calorie burn and studies have shown consistently that people under-estimate what they eat and over-estimate their exercise. Therefore, we have to account for that.

However, I did up my protein as my activity levels increased. That caused my calories to go up somewhat, but nowhere near what I was burning in exercise. It's important to get enough protein when you diet as you want to lose as much fat as possible and as little lean muscle tissue.