How to measure pasta

Options
I am unsure how to measure pasta. When it says 2oz, is that 2oz cooked?

Replies

• mrcconway
    Options
    I found this on yahoo answers

Pasta comes in 1 pound boxes. It says that there are 8 servings. So That would be 2 ounces per servings. So it is obviously the uncooked weight. Hope that helps.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    No, it is 2 oz uncooked. This is something I find really frustrating. If it is just my wife and I, then it is easy to just weigh 4 oz and throw it in the pot.

But I often make larger casseroles to last the week and that involves cooking up the whole package or even more. It would be helpful to have the listed weight of a cooked serving--I don't know, maybe there is too much variation in the cooked weight.

This provides an unending source of entertainment for my wife, but I solve the problem by taking the entire pot of cooked, drained pasta, weighing it, and then dividing the total by the number of servings listed on the box (usually 8 or 9). Then I weigh each serving again as I put it on the plate.

If I was really smart, I'd keep a list. :ohwell:
  • feistygirl09
    Options
    This is a question I am always asking myself too!!!

I also do the same for oatmeal. Uncooked is half the amount of cooked so it can make a big difference when you are doing portion control!! For instance 1/2 c uncooked will be 1 c cooked...

I find I have to figure out a whole recipe sometimes just to figure out one serving. I try to make sure I write it down when I do so I wont have to keep doing it over & over again.:flowerforyou: