Play It Again Sports is Worthless....

Options
Azdak
Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
Ok, first off--this is a rant. Like all good rants, it consists of 25% reason and 75% emotion. I am sure others may have a different experience. If you are a fan of PIAS, don't take this too seriously--it is meant for entertainment as much as anything else.

I have only been in one of these stores once, maybe 10 years ago, and I don't remember it being a positive experience.

Anyhow, I thought I would try again. I am trying to introduce more variety into my routine and cycle through different workout "periods". One of my cycles includes doing my strength routine primarily with body weight exercises, bands, balls, etc--even a video or two. I have collected a few random pieces over the years, but as I expand my repertoire, I am missing some items. I also belong to a local park district fitness center, but the selection is really limited.

Since I am still unemployed, I was hoping to pick up some used items. I need some weighted balls, some smaller plates for a set of dumbbells, maybe some additional bands, an aerobic step and, ideally, a Bosu ball.

The prices at the PIAS were essentially the same as retail prices for new product. And interspersed with the used stuff is a lot of new equipment, masquerading as used, but with a full MSRP.

The whole place just annoyed me--a limited selection of overpriced junk. Even though I didn't buy anything, I still felt ripped off--just from having wasted my time going in there.

I know I have other options, but I have found other sources--ebay, etc--to be surprisingly unhelpful.

Oh well--just have to keep on lookin'.........

Replies

• arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I reccommend them all the time, and have nothing but positive things to say about the one in my area for 10+ years.

I researched an Elliptical machine prior to going to PIAS. The one I wanted was stable, strong and of course $1,000.

I found last years model, new, on their floor. It had a price tag of $699. Because I had done my research, I negotiated the machine down to around $400.

I think the big ticket items are a better buy than the small stuff. It is hard to have a 150 pound Ellip shipped from California thru Ebay.........but that Bosu ball that was never used would be worth it.
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    Have you tried Craigslist?