cardio alone vs cardio and strength together. advice :)

Options
So I need some advice :) ok so my goal is to lose about 60 lbs . Some people have told me to do just straight cardio to lose fat then do strength training once i'm done losing weight. Others have said to to both cardio and weights together. What do y'all think

Stats:
cw: 213
Gw: around 160 -150?
5'8
My diet isn't great and I know that so i'm working on it but I was wondering what's worked for others

Replies

• kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I started strength training from the beginning and in the beginning predominantly did cardio altho now I probably do more strength work then cardio. My body is really quite toned considering how much I have lost...so I would recommend some strength work from the beginning :)
  • ddeleonm09
    ddeleonm09 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Do both along with a healthy diet. You'll get much better and faster results.
  • SmileyFaceGuy
    Options
    Do strength training from the start. You may not lose weight as quickly, but that's because you're retaining lean muscle mass which you would otherwise be losing. You'll be happy that you had a head start once you do get to your goal.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    If you do some type of circuit with the resistance training with no breaks except a break after each set, its also a cardio session. Example - squats, push-ups, lunges, dips x 20 of each then rest, repeat 4 times.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Your BMR is your greatest "gift" in weight loss. Your BMR is based off of your weight (lean body mass), age and sex. By doing resistance training and meeting your protein goals (~1g /lb LBM) you are preserving more of your lean body mass while in calorie restriction.

I did 100% cardio to lose my weight and along with it I lost all of my strength which took some time to get back. I'd advise to do a mix of weight training with heavy weights and some cardio.
  • candle29
    Options
    I like to do a pilates/cardio workout. That way I get both, cardio and toning.
  • petiteLady89
    petiteLady89 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I've never been big on cardio. Most of my weight loss has always came off with circuit training and strength. I might do cardio once a week.
  • TXGirl821
    TXGirl821 Posts: 115
    Options
    I definitely recommend doing strength right from the start. I haven't lost a lot on the scale in 2 months, but I'm down in inches AND in body fat percentage, which means soooo much more to me than the number on the scale. :) Yay strength training! <3
  • ericasb83
    ericasb83 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    hi!

my trainer told me that the more muscle mass you have, the more calories you need to keep it all running. so the more muscle you have, the more calories you burn just in daily life! so in my opinion, do strength training too! the above poster was also totally right to suggest circuit training, because that definitely gets your heart rate up and makes for good cardio as well.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Do both. I didn't start really strength training until I was already at goal, and really wish I'd started sooner. It's easier to maintain muscle as you lose than try to get it back after it's lost.
  • laurensohn22
    laurensohn22 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Y'all are awesome this is exactly what I was hoping for